• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very curious of what Colt will have to reveal. While we now know they have a snub nosed 38 Special Cobra revolver being released soon, I bet there is a 357 Magnum DA/SA revolver in the works too. They wouldn't have planned just the 38 Special, but are more likely doing a staged roll out. I would suspect that the 357 Magnum revolver would be a modern King Cobra with 3-, 4-, and possibly 6-inch barrel options.

If I have read the history correctly, in the 1970s, a lot of folks were getting Python barrels pinned on frames of S&W Model 19 and Model 66 revolvers for competitive shooting as they would get the more reliable S&W action and the more desirable Python barrel (with full under lug) which was thought to be more accurate. These hybrids were often called Smolts or Smythons. Similar hybrids made with Ruger security Six Revolvers were called Cougers.

S&W realized there was a new market and soon came out with the 58x/68x (686 antecedents) revolvers.

Colt, to get something more price competitive with the 681 series (the Python was more expensive in those days too), came up with the King Cobras, that were made in a similar manner as the S&Ws with less gunsmithing and less hands on attention than the Pythons received.

Here's an example of a Smython currently available at a nice price from GunBroker (note, these fusions have potential drawbacks before someone decides to jump on it to get a Python barrel for cheap) ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610994550

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Very curious of what Colt will have to reveal. While we now know they have a snub nosed 38 Special Cobra revolver being released soon, I bet there is a 357 Magnum DA/SA revolver in the works too. They wouldn't have planned just the 38 Special, but are more likely doing a staged roll out. I would suspect that the 357 Magnum revolver would be a modern King Cobra with 3-, 4-, and possibly 6-inch barrel options.

If I have read the history correctly, in the 1970s, a lot of folks were getting Python barrels pinned on frames of S&W Model 19 and Model 66 revolvers for competitive shooting as they would get the more reliable S&W action and the more desirable Python barrel (with full under lug) which was thought to be more accurate. These hybrids were often called Smolts or Smythons. Similar hybrids made with Ruger security Six Revolvers were called Cougers.

S&W realized there was a new market and soon came out with the 58x/68x (686 antecedents) revolvers.

Colt, to get something more price competitive with the 681 series (the Python was more expensive in those days too), came up with the King Cobras, that were made in a similar manner as the S&Ws with less gunsmithing and less hands on attention than the Pythons received.

Here's an example of a Smython currently available at a nice price from GunBroker (note, these fusions have potential drawbacks before someone decides to jump on it to get a Python barrel for cheap) ...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610994550

Interesting. Thanks for the info, learned something new.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Interesting. Thanks for the info, learned something new.

You're only a week behind me. ;) I was curious so was doing some digging.

Should have mentioned that the Model 19 and 66 were on the S&W K-frame. The 581/681 revolvers (which now had a full underlug) were on the new (at that time) L-frame which was slightly larger, but smaller than the S&W N-frame. I think the 586/686 revolvers are of course the standard these days, and have improvements that make them superior in some ways to the older Pythons (aside from the damn internal lock). Their cylinders lock up in the frame on both sides vs one, they are far less likely to develop timing issues, and they have a faster trigger reset (as the trigger springs forward more quickly after the shot pull).

The accuracy with SD ammo is likely very similar. Often, accuracy comparisons were done with 148 gr wadcutters (in 38-special) that might have benefited from the rifling characteristics of the Python barrels. With 125 gr or 158 gr 357 Magnum rounds, I don't think one would see much of a difference between the S&W 686 and a Python of similar barrel length.

Anyway, even if I love the S&W 686 line, I will be jazzed if Colt has a new 357 Magnum revolver announced at Shot Show. Definitely planning on getting their new Colt Cobra in 38 Special.

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    NRA Atlanta

Always! Made my reservations right after Louisville! We always volunteer to help out at the Pyramid Air Gun Range. We also attend the NRA Trainer's Session and I go to the NRA Clubs and Associations Seminar on Sunday (for both Monumental and MD State Rifle and Pistol Association).

I will be there as well this year. Nice meeting you at Louisville. PM me for beer time ! :beer:

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    how do you even get tickets? Don't you gotta be an FFL or something?
    http://shotshow.org/attendees/attendee-faqs/

2 Who can attend the 2017 SHOT Show®?

The SHOT Show is a trade only event. Attendance is RESTRICTED to the shooting, hunting and outdoor trade and commercial buyers and sellers of military, law enforcement and tactical products and services ONLY. The show is not open to the public, and NO one under age 16 shall be admitted (including infants).

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Always! Made my reservations right after Louisville! We always volunteer to help out at the Pyramid Air Gun Range. We also attend the NRA Trainer's Session and I go to the NRA Clubs and Associations Seminar on Sunday (for both Monumental and MD State Rifle and Pistol Association).

I will be there as well this year. Nice meeting you at Louisville. PM me for beer time ! :beer:

Will do! I will be volunteering at the Pyramid Air Gun Range again (as far as I know).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom