• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    So I went to the great eastern gun show / military show in Louisville, KY. Advertised as the biggest gunshow in KY history. After a two+ hour pilgrimage and a slight diversion by the cardinals game, I was able to find my way to the right convention center.

The first thing I noticed was that everyone was holding guns [and I hadn't even bought my ticket yet]. People were carrying guns that were either recent purchases, guns for sale, or trade. Some had signs on them, there were even guys with specially made gun carriages to carry their purchases [or wares]. It was not uncommon to see a group of people holding ar15s smoking outside, or belt feds sitting on tables while people ate. I bought my ticket and went inside to the 1500 or so tables.

I noticed many different types of vendors, everything from precision cowboy guns [ with their plate type rear sights] to a M2 full auto 50 cal for 29,000. There were also moral patch tables, medical dealers, tannerite, cowboy action shooters, a wealth of WWII dealers with any and all types of lugers, Thompson, and m1 items. Silencers from every manufacturer were available. I was a bit overwhelmed.

That was when reality set in...
    Looking at the ammo prices, I was both angered and amazed that the gun community would do this to ourselves. 15.00 for a 50 round box of CCI stinger .22, 3.00 for a single buck and slug 12 gauge shell, 8.00 for a 20 rnd box of tula 7.62x39.
    Looking at the gun prices, 125 for a filthy Jennings 380., 300 for a spray painted green used maverick 88 with pistol grip, and 500 for a 37mm cobray launcher.

I was sure that I would walk away with only consolation prizes.

Then my luck changed.
    I was walking past a table when I saw a gallon sized bag completely filled with assorted calibers. The rounds were old, but looked perfectly shootable. They just looked like a bunch of ammo left loose in a large bag for awhile. I noticed several calibers i shoot. the bag was marked, "make an offer". I offered 25, and almost walked away when the dealer asked for 30. The dealer accepted my offer and I got ready to walk to the next booth when I noticed the bag was sitting on a case of remington buckshot in damp boxes. The boxes had obviously gotten wet and some of the shells had some corrosion on them. All were 12 gauge 2 3/4 high brass buckshot. I knew full well that if the powder had gotten wet, then the shells would be ruined, and I let him know that. He asked if i would pay 10.00 for the whole box and I said I would take a gamble on it. Before I left the table, i spotted a Center balanced Systems bullpup mosin nagant which I talked down to 285 because of some minor rust in the bore.

Getting home, I found the shells to be in good condition and fired just fine.
    over 115 12 gauge buckshot shells for 10.00

The bag contained: [bold is what I shoot]
    almost 50 steel core 8mm rounds,
    23 44 magnum hollowpoints,
    10 357 magnum hydra shok type bullets,
    20 38 special +P hollowpoints,
    around 50 rounds of fiochi .22LR,
    21 rounds of brown bear 7.62x54R,

1 50AE speer round
    1 50BMG round
    1 500 S+W
    2 9mm rounds
    4 .223 wolf
    1 7.62x39

2 30/06
    2 20 gauge shells
    1 444 MAG
    1 270 win
    1 375 H+H mag
    5 35 rem soft point
    1 243 win
    2 45/70

The rifle cleaned up great and functions flawlessly, a great deal considering the CB stock alone costs over 300. Range report coming soon.

It turned out to be a great day and i am pretty happy with my purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom