• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob b

c@r collecting
    I am interested in buying an ar 10 but so many options it hard to know which to buy or build one ?
    Looking for a reliable accurate rifle on a budget if possible

Also what kind of accuracy should I expect in the 100-400 yard range optics will be a Leupold 3-9 or nikon perhaps

Thanks

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Too many variables to give you any type of accurate answer. I'm guessing 1-4 moa depending on so many things, I won't list them all. Ammo is awfully important when you get out to those distances.

Good Luck!

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I'm not an expert but have seen several rifles on sale lately that are cheaper than building it. AR10 parts aren't as standard or plentiful as the AR15s

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a DPMS Classic 20" HBAR LR-308. Using generic 147 grain ball groups of 2" - 3" were routine at 100 yards. The 2" end of those groups were typically ZQI and Federal white box. I was definitely the limiting factor in its accuracy.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you decide to build, be aware that AR10 parts aren't all compatible, like At 15 parts. Make sure your lower mates with the upper. That was a $150 lesson I learned when I built mine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What parts is the answer on accuracy. Similar to the answer for what accuracy can you expect from an AR-15. A DI gas system helps with accuracy as the recoil impulse is inline with the bolt instead of trying to tilt the bolt.

My AR-15 can manage a little below MOA at up to 200yds with match ammo. I haven't shot it further than that on paper (300yds on steel, but I wasn't measuring group sizes). Cheap ammo could be as bad as 4MOA with it and most good quality .223 and 5.56 55gr stuff is in the 2-2.5MOA range.

There are plenty of AR-15s that can do better, plenty that can't manage better than 2MOA with match ammo.

An AR-10 you'd likely find the same thing. Cheap, low quality or generally not accurized stuff and you'll have a 2-3MOA rifle at best. A fairly decent one is likely capable of a little under MOA with a match/matched ammo. A really high quality one might be a one home wonder.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i had a stock dpms lr-308 24" heavy barrel (with geissele 2 stage added) that was definitely sub moa out to 600 yds (the furthest i measured it). they can be plenty accurate. very heavy rig though, not something you're going to traipse thru the woods with.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I won't skimp on ammo or optics never do
    Hope to find something that can hit deer at the most 400-500 yards if need be
    But most shots at 50 to 250 yards are normal

A decent AR10, AR15, or pretty much any hunting rifle, will be well fine out to those mid ranges with decent ammo.

You're more likely to miss because of an error in adjusting for your drop than because the rifle was inaccurate. Known your dope.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What's the difference between type A and type B mags? Armalite seems to take different ones than a DPMS.

One works in armalite pattern, one works in DPMS patterns. I forget which is which, type A is Armalite? Anyway, PMAGs are DPMS pattern (DPMS pattern mags are also called SR-25)

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    I am interested in buying an ar 10 but so many options it hard to know which to buy or build one ?

Also what kind of accuracy should I expect in the 100-400 yard range optics will be a Leupold 3-9 or nikon perhaps

Thanks

You can get a whole complete rifle for under 800 now day's, that's the route I'm taking.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

Thanks

You can get a rebate if you buy the DPMS 308 before the end of the month.

Mine shoots nice!

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I have been lusting after a Ruger SR762 for a while, but it's so $$$ away.

I bought one of the first run of those...it has run flawlessly....and is very accurate.

I made a few changes, swapped out the trigger for an ALG trigger, Magpul ACS-L buttstock and a VG6 Gamma muzzle break. Recoil is flatter now and trigger helped.

But very accurate (sub moa to 200 yards with my 150 fmj handloads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom