• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    tl;dr: Yes, they can pick it up, no, you're not going to wind up locked in a subterranean hole.

I flew to a competition and had a return flight the same day. My carry-on bag also occasionally does duty as a range bag. Competition ran long, didn't have time to shower, and I typically opt out of the wave scanner. Had a bunch of weird-looking stuff in the bag (a cooler with cheese, which due to its density looks remarkably similar to explosives on the scanner), so they pulled it for secondary. Both my clothes and my bag popped.

(Yes, they do test their hands when they pat you down. That's what they're doing when they leave you to stand there and go over to the machine.)

I kept my hands where everyone could see them and calmly said, "I will probably test positive, I am a competitive shooter and I just finished a match." The TSA kid's face immediately relaxed a lot, though all of them were professional the whole way through.

I have also had my suitcase/gun case test positive when putting my locked firearm case through the baggage scanner. This was actually at O'Hare. They were cool, just had to wait for a supervisor.

So it might take you a few extra minutes, but I didn't miss either flight, and I was cutting it pretty close for one. If you wash your clothes, wipe down your cases, and/or change, it probably won't happen for you at all.

Glad you've had easy experiences. I can only imagine what could happen when you get that special snowflake tsa guy who snaps at the mention of the word "shooter", regardless of context. :ohnoes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The only times I've ever seen TSA swabbing hands for gun powder residue have all been at BWI. I've never seen it done anywhere else.

They random swab if you are Pre Check.

And they swab bags, sometimes due to xray results and sometimes randomly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    (Yes, they do test their hands when they pat you down. That's what they're doing when they leave you to stand there and go over to the machine.)

No.

They have to swab with the cloth/paper to run the test. That swab goes into the machine.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    The only times I've ever seen TSA swabbing hands for gun powder residue have all been at BWI. I've never seen it done anywhere else.

Did it to me in Montreal on the way home one time. Didn’t complain though because they pulled me out of a looong line waiting to go through security and then sent me to the front. Probably saved me 20 minutes!

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    They swabbed my granddaughter's bag in the pre-check line at Hobby airport in Houston after they scanned it. Turns out her mother had vacuum sealed some sand from the beach at Galveston for her to take home and they were trying to figure out what it was.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have never seen the swab their hands/gloves.

They just swap YOU.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    I have never seen the swab their hands/gloves.

They just swap YOU.

This is the procedure they follow when you opt out of the millimeter wave scanner. I have never been pulled for secondary search because I always opt out, so I can't speak to what the secondary search procedure might be. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, results not guaranteed at all TSA checkpoints and with all TSA officers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The issue is, by doing their gloves, instead of swabbing you, they reduce be at least 10 times, and probably more, the amount of residue for the machine to find.

So a negative is not an negative, it is still a maybe.

JWinners

Jul 26, 2017
    Saint Marys, MD
    TSA once ripped apart my fiance's bag at an airport. They disregarded her ten-inch long lethal bamboo knitting needles to get all the way down to a bottle of water at the bottom of the bag. Removed the bottle, threw it away, and left us with a bag and its' contents spread all over the table. This is transportation security in the year 2018.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    What's your complaint?

TSA once ripped apart my fiance's bag at an airport. They disregarded her ten-inch long lethal bamboo knitting needles to get all the way down to a bottle of water at the bottom of the bag. Removed the bottle, threw it away, and left us with a bag and its' contents spread all over the table. This is transportation security in the year 2018.

Jwinners:

I know you want to support your fiance. However, here is how it appears to a disinterested third-party stranger.

It seems that the ones who have a beef were the people in line behind your fiance who had to wait while TSA had to dig through your fiance's bag, because she could not follow simple directions. Good or bad, such is the state of things. It's been that way for a long time, now. It is not a new rule.

You didn't state whether your fiance apologized to her fellow travelers for
    inconveniencing them all. I doubt it. You do, however, complain about your fiance being called out for HER mistake.

Do you see how it could look clueless and self-centered to others?

JWinners

Jul 26, 2017
    Saint Marys, MD
    Jwinners:

I know you want to support your fiance. However, here is how it appears to a disinterested third-party stranger.

It seems that the ones who have a beef were the people in line behind your fiance who had to wait while TSA had to dig through your fiance's bag, because she could not follow simple directions. Good or bad, such is the state of things. It's been that way for a long time, now. It is not a new rule.

inconveniencing them all. I doubt it. You do, however, complain about your fiance being called out for HER mistake.

Good point here songlaw, I hadn't considered this perspective. Indeed, it is sometimes easy to become emotional and overlook the feelings and concerns of others.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Never had a GSR problem before but I was stopped twice for fertilzer detection. Must have walked in the wrong places, once coming back from England and once from Hawaii.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Jwinners:

Having been stuck behind people with all sorts of stuff in their carry on, or large amounts of jewelry, or funky strap on Roman type footwear, THIS ^^^^^

This is not new.

Yeah, sometimes I forget a water bottle in my bag, but I put my water bottle in an easy for them to get to place. So 30 - 45 seconds top.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I get really pissed at the people in the TSA pre check lane that do stupid crap. These people are supposed to be travelers and know the process. Oh wait, some airlines give it out free. Another reason to get pissed.
    Oh to add to the original thread topic, went shooting on Sunday and flew out on Monday. No issues.... Then again I have pre check and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom