• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    The 4th MUST hear the case. Only SCOTUS can deny cert.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    It seems to me that when the stay is lifted that some state some butt's are on the line because you can only send it to a higher pay and grade so far. Is the sender of the letter (Lt. ????) possibly in trouble?

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    http://www.box.com/s/92306766413790660714

The letter attached by the original poster says the state has appealed and the 4th circuit court will hear the case. The appeal is filed, that is factual, but did the 4th circuit court agree to hear the case. Just because an appeal has been filed doesn't automaticaly mean the 4th will hear the case. If the
    4th circuit court has not agreed to hear the case as of the date of the letter that was issued, the state is blatently lying and therefor had no right to return a lawful citizens application for handgun permit. Please...someone research whether the 4th circuit has agreed to hear the appeal and match the dates with this letter. I see a possible technicallity in their premature response.

the 4th HAS to hear the case

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    That makes sense, but returning the application unprocessed is the same as a denial since the applicant still doesn't have a permit. This is especially true since the letter referenced G & S.

Why not cash the check and hold the application as they have done for all the others? Doing what they have done makes a case for having adjudicated the application, no?

It is exactly the same as a denial and, if it were me, I would treat it as such. As to why not cash the check, not cashing and returning the application delays the need to consider the application at all. The applicant may not ever refile and in the meantime their administrative time lines for applications (the ones they actually accept/process) are easier to meet The state is just making it harder to the extent they think they can get away with it. Bad judgment call, IMHO, but these guys are not being smart.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    OK - but why treat the ones before the stay differently than the ones after the stay. Is the temporary stay not retroactive to the date of the decision?

Perception maybe? I don't know. I am not a lawyer, but law is like anything else in life, it is about perception and interpretation of meaning.

Maybe they *think* by turning down those submitted after the temp stay was effected, they are within their legal rights and by processing and sitting on those between the initial ruling and temp stay they are showing good faith towards the initial ruling? And then there is the 97% useless statistic they don't want to hurt since this new tactic was just dreamed up based on the lack of HB579?

Again, all speculation on my part, but after listening to the full session of the senate last monday, and seeing some of this state in action in other areas, nothing would surprise me. After all, it is your money and my money they waste on this, it doesn't come out of their pocket......

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    At least you got an answer. Sorry to say it wasn't the one you were hoping for. I sent mine in March 10th they got it March 13th and, cashed my check. But, I still haven't heard any thing. Again, it sucks you couldn't be bestowed your God given rights, but keep trying Bro, we'll get there.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Handgun Permit Review Board
    410-339-5010
    300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 1000
    Towson, MD 21286

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-312

Formerly cited as MD CODE Art. 27, § 36E

West's Annotated Code of Maryland Currentness
    Public Safety (Refs & Annos)
    Full text of all sections at this level Title 5. Firearms
    Full text of all sections at this level Subtitle 3. Handgun Permits (Refs & Annos)
    Current selection§ 5-312. Action by Board

Request for review authorized

(a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.

(2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90 days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written request with the Board.

Form of review

(b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:

(1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or

(2) conduct a hearing.

Evidence

(c) The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the decision of the Secretary.

Decision by Board

(d)(1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse, or modify the decision of the Secretary.

(2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for the action taken by the Board.

Administrative procedures

(e)(1) Any hearing and any subsequent proceedings of judicial review shall be conducted in accordance with Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.

(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a court may not order the issuance or renewal of a permit or alter a limitation on a permit pending a final determination of the proceeding.

COMAR

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=12.09.01.*

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=12.09.01.00.htm

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    I guess the MSP will keep the 97% rating.

They would not even process my application. I wanted to loose my money and they wouldn't take it. They will keep their good rating for approvals if they won't process the application. I feel that self defense is good and substantial so they should process the application.

Feel free to check the attachment. It pissed me off for sure.

Attachments

• Not processed CCW MD.pdf
      167.9 KB · Views: 298

CPT Ethanolic

Gun Packing Liberal
    Wow... so we're seeing MD's response to people trying to assert their rights.

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg

jfox

Mar 27, 2012
    Handgun Permit Review Board
    410-339-5010
    300 E. Joppa Road, Suite 1000
    Towson, MD 21286

http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/agencies/hprb.shtml

MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-312

Formerly cited as MD CODE Art. 27, § 36E

West's Annotated Code of Maryland Currentness
    Public Safety (Refs & Annos)
    Full text of all sections at this level Title 5. Firearms
    Full text of all sections at this level Subtitle 3. Handgun Permits (Refs & Annos)
    Current selection§ 5-312. Action by Board

Form of review

(b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:

(1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or

(2) conduct a hearing.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/SubtitleSearch.aspx?search=12.09.01.*

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=12.09.01.00.htm

So the board clearly can just rubber-stamp the decision of MSP, without any right of the applicant or counsel to present a case before the board. Further, they get to take up to 90 days to choose between their (2) favorite rubber stamps:

1) "DENIED"
    2) "Not Approved"

But, since they then have to give their reasoning in writing, one can then engage counsel to sue the state for violation of rights and I would have thought attorney fees and damages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom