Is this why "BUSHMASTER" is banned by name?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    They are too damn accurate? Or was it just the Beltway Sniper?

See my Pre- 10/1/13 Bushmaster with heavy barrel:

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    The ban is due to the Bushmaster M17s. When the original ban list was done in California, the politicians literally looked at pictures of rifles and decided they looked scary. When MD did their regulated list, they adopted the CA list chapter and verse.

During the restricted period, Bushmaster semi automatic rifle was understood to mean the M17s. During FSA 13, a more literal definition was adopted. Someone with enough time, energy and money might be able to get things pushed back to the original definition, but IMHO the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. There are plenty of AR's of higher quality and better accuracy on the market at similar price points. The M17s is a novelty at best and don't get me started on the ACR.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    True statement: 10 times as many babies have been killed with Bushmasters than with other AR15 variants.

0x10=0

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    I'm not trying to be a thrill killer here and maybe I have too high an expectation from a rifle, but.....Shooting from a bench with a scope and a forward rest, wouldn't anyone expect that kind of accuracy at 100 yards from any rifle of reasonable quality?

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    The ban is due to the Bushmaster M17s. When the original ban list was done in California, the politicians literally looked at pictures of rifles and decided they looked scary. When MD did their regulated list, they adopted the CA list chapter and verse.

During the restricted period, Bushmaster semi automatic rifle was understood to mean the M17s. During FSA 13, a more literal definition was adopted. Someone with enough time, energy and money might be able to get things pushed back to the original definition, but IMHO the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze. There are plenty of AR's of higher quality and better accuracy on the market at similar price points. The M17s is a novelty at best and don't get me started on the ACR.
    Just another example of Maryland how stupid our state is

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bushmaster was contacted, to see if they would help to overturn the ruling.

They did not want to be bothered.

So PFFFFTTT on them. Plenty of other brands that care about MD residents.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Bushmaster was contacted, to see if they would help to overturn the ruling.

They did not want to be bothered.

So PFFFFTTT on them. Plenty of other brands that care about MD residents.
    I think the former Bushmaster crowd in Maine would have taken up the cause, but former Bushmaster owner opened up Windham Weaponry and magically his best designers and craftsman at Bushmaster now work for Windham Weaponry.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I think the former Bushmaster crowd in Maine would have taken up the cause, but former Bushmaster owner opened up Windham Weaponry and magically his best designers and craftsman at Bushmaster now work for Windham Weaponry.

In the old Bushmaster factory.

Bushmaster was sold to the same group that now own Remington, TC and Marlin. The former owner of BM had to wait out a non compete clause before opening Windham Weaponry. Once the 5 years was up he opened the new business in the same building using the same machine that he still owned.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com

THE WINDHAM WEAPONRY STORY

A team of the finest firearms manufacturers in the U.S.A. has been re-assembled to bring to market the highest quality AR type rifle possible. These good Maine folks – most of whom are former employees of Bushmaster Firearms – offer many years of experience in the industry, and all look forward to working with you, to serving your needs, and to building you a great rifle.

When the people who bought Bushmaster in 2006 decided to move it “lock, stock and barrel” out of Maine to New York in 2011, the original Bushmaster owner, Mr. Richard Dyke was left with both a dilemma and an opportunity. Almost to the day of the 2011 move, Mr. Dyke’s non-compete clause expired. He still owned the property where Bushmaster had been built, and knew all the workers – now laid off – who had helped him build it. He made a decision to “get back in the game” and promptly put an email out to many of his former employees and friends asking if there was interest in joining him for a new project.

With a resounding “yes” of support, he gathered the financing in two days, and started bringing people back into their long-time Windham manufacturing home. Phoenix-like, Windham Weaponry was on the rise. Within three months, the first productions models of the new Windham Weaponry line had been perfected and delivered. Quality, fit, finish, durability, accuracy and value were all superb – giving credence to Windham Weaponry’s motto “The Quality Goes In, Before The Rifle Goes Out”.

The firearms industry and consumers welcomed this new effort warmly, old friends and contacts were re-established, and sales grew. In less than a year and a half, Windham Weaponry had brought back almost 70 employees, benchmarked impressive sales numbers, and established their name as one of the pre-eminent firearms manufacturers in the country.

The press heralded it as “truly an American success story”, and all due to the vision of its founder. Further growth for Windham Weaponry has already been planned and implemented.

“The Quality Goes In, Before The Rifle Goes Out”.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I'm not trying to be a thrill killer here and maybe I have too high an expectation from a rifle, but.....Shooting from a bench with a scope and a forward rest, wouldn't anyone expect that kind of accuracy at 100 yards from any rifle of reasonable quality?

The plate is 6 in. and it appears like approx. 4 in. grouping to me. That's 4 MOA accuracy. Does that seem correct?
    EDIT: clarification...the grouping seems like 4 MOA.

Last edited:

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    In the old Bushmaster factory.

Bushmaster was sold to the same group that now own Remington, TC and Marlin. The former owner of BM had to wait out a non compete clause before opening Windham Weaponry. Once the 5 years was up he opened the new business in the same building using the same machine that he still owned.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com
    We probably shouldn't be shining a light on this or a liberal politician will brand Windham Weaponry an evil name...

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

I have to agree with you. As a former infantryman, I had to hit silhouette targets at 300 meters with an M16 and iron sights. Marines had to do that at 500 meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here we go again. This confusion will never die. It will persist alongside claims that "The moon landings were faked," and "The Russians 'hacked' the 2016 election."

My understanding is that the original version of the List was drawn up by a couple of Diane Feinstein's assistants. They said they went down to the news stand and bought a copy of Gun Digest and just flipped through the catalogue section in the back, picking out the rifles that looked scary. This was around 1988, which is why the List includes lots of weird rifles that haven't been available in over 25 years, such as the Linda and the Bushmaster

The legislature did not ban the Bushmaster brand by name, as you and the MSP well know. They banned a specific non AR rifle, not manufactured in many years. The Bushmaster company was formed years later.

The Maryland State Police know this perfectly well, and for many years Bushmaster brand HBARs were sold cash and carry.

Only since 2014 has the MPS arbitrarily and extra-legally chosen to deliberately misinterpret the law.

We should not help them to perpetuate their extra-legal activities. We need to keep alive the correct understanding of the law. People count on us for correct information.

This is banned by name.

DSC01353.jpg

As is this.

Bushmater-Armpistol-Goepfert.jpg

Big difference from this.

srgsw4e69.jpg

And this.

a2-1.JPG

The Maryland State Police have always understood what "Bushmaster" meant, that it refered to the odd AR/AK bastard hybrid oddities and had nothing to do with the later AR15s made by a manufacturer named "Bushmaster Arms". That's why the HBAR AR15s made by Bushmaster Arms were never considered "regulated" rifles and were always sold cash and carry on a 4473.

Since 2013, someone :"got to" the MSP and persuaded them to adopt a deliberate "misunderstanding" of the name "Bushmaster" on the old list.

That creates an odd situation: AR15s and AKs, etc, sold as "Regulated" before 2013 are now grandfathered. Colt Sporter HBARs, Rock River HBARs, etc. don't need to be grandfathered, because they were never regulated in the first place. They've always been cash and carry, and still are. But Bushmaster HBARs are now being treated as grandfathered banned rifles, and presumably can't be sold in state, even though they were never "regulated" before 10/1/13.

It's a travesty and a mockery of the Rule of Law. We're living in a dictatorship.

The Bushmaster on the ban list is NOT a Bushmaster Brand AR 15. It is not an AR15 at all. It was an entirely different rifle that was not widely produced. The original ban list was drawn up by a couple of Diane Feinstein's aides back in 1989. They literally bought a Gun Digest (or a Guns and Ammo Annual???) at a news stand and picked out the rifles that looked scary.

At that time, Bushmaster did not even manufacture AR15s.

Maryland State Police were always perfectly aware of that fact, and of course, they still are. Bushmaster AR15s were always treated like any other ARs: HBARs were unregulated/ cash and carry while non-HBARs required the 7 day wait.

Only after 2013 did MSP suddenly start pretending that "Bushmaster" on the List referred to a brand name. They know perfectly well it never did.

Here is the Bushmaster Rifle which the List refers to:

928509_01_original_gwinn_bushmaster_assa_640.jpg

NOT an AR15, and out of production for many years.

There was another Bushmaster BULLPUP Rifle which many believe was the one listed by Feinstein's aides, but apparently this one here is the actual banned rifle.

The Maryland State Police have known this all along. That's why many THOUSANDS of Bushmaster BRAND HBAR AR15s were sold here as cash-and-carry.

This slimy mendacity just really, really pisses me off.

See that's why I ask questions. Looking at the list i see it's a Bushmaster ACR that is banned. So technically Bushmaster HBAR in AR15 platform would be legal?

NO!

It is NOT the ACR. That rifle did not exist in 1989.

The banned Bushmaster on the List is ONLY that fugly boxy looking thing in the photo above.

Here's another photo:

protect.pl

The Maryland State Police know that perfectly well.

The MSP is operating outside the law.

Here is a lovely Arfcom write up on the Bushmaster Rifle with lots more pictures:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=222400

Remember, the List was drawn up in 1989, and got a minor update in 1994, I believe.
    Many of the rifles on the List were never in large scale production. Many have not been available for many years.

Yes ... Originally it was the "Bushmaster" rifle which was banned on the Maryland ban list...

But on 10/01/2013... The entire "Bushmaster" Brand of rifles became banned and remains banned to this day. DON'T try to sell or buy one or even try to bring one into the state now.

Yet they are only banned because of MSP's knowing and deliberate misinterpretation of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom