What does "establishing residency" mean?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I have no intent to officially establish residency in this crappy state. However, the Libtards in Charge will likely state otherwise.

What does "establishing residency" mean? What are the qualifiers?

Parallax-Free

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2017
    Balt. Co MD
    The libtard in charge of MD is a republican, FYI.

I had to ask this question recently, I consider establishing residency as the day I decide I'm a resident. To others it would be registering your vehicle, getting a state license or buying property.

I think it is well up for interpretation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    For what? Having to register a gun? Not being able to buy a gun? Having to pay taxes? Having to have a MD drivers license?

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    The info is on the state website (edit, see links)

Try: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Reso...es/Income_and_Estate_Tax_Releases/ar_it37.pdf
    And: http://taxes.marylandtaxes.com/Indi...iling_Information/Determine_Residency_Status/

Basically, where are the things near to your heart, where are you registered to vote, where do your kids go to school, where is your mail delivered, where's your driver's license, etc.

If you are here 183 or more days, you become a statutory MD resisent and must file MD resident income taxes - I would say that's a big determining factor. However, it appears WV domiciled residents can live and work at a regular job in MD all year without becoming residents - WV only - there's a thread in the WV forum. Try: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=207471

If you're concerned about it, it would be good to consult an attorney and not an Internet forum...

Edit: too slow typing on the phone...

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Heads up that if you move to the state, you have 90 days to register your car here. I got a ticket for that one a long while back. Worse thing is that registration on a newer car is not cheap.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Registration is the same. TITLING can cost a lot as you own MD a "use tax" of 6% of the value of each car.

Is not up to YOU to decide if you are a resident of MD when you move here. Only full time students and active duty military on orders can live in the state and not become a resident.

If you domicile in the state more than 183 days per year, you are an MD resident, like it or not.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Registration is the same. TITLING can cost a lot as you own MD a "use tax" of 6% of the value of each car.

Is not up to YOU to decide if you are a resident of MD when you move here. Only full time students and active duty military on orders can live in the state and not become a resident.

If you domicile in the state more than 183 days per year, you are an MD resident, like it or not.
    Then what of the reciprocality agreement with WV? Do you believe it does not protect WV residents living permanently in Maryland?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Are you thinking of the interstate tax reciprocity agreement? That a WV resident can work in MD, but not have to pay MD taxes, but pays WV taxes????? That is common. MD has that agreement for VA, WV, PA, DC. Also, DC for anyone who does not live in DC.

But if you live in NH, and work in MA, you have to pay MA taxes.

But this is based on LIVING one state, but WORKING in another. Residency is based on where you LIVE.

But I do know that if you move to another state, but maintain a house in MD, they will come after you to prove you live more than half the year out of the state. Have had friends have to do that.

Of course, if you rent out the house, that makes it easier.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    For PA, VA, those residents, if here in MD 183 or more days, have to start paying MD income tax. Not so for WV residents. They can stay in MD indefinitely without paying MD income tax. Check out the MW507.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    For PA, VA, those residents, if here in MD 183 or more days, have to start paying MD income tax. Not so for WV residents. They can stay in MD indefinitely without paying MD income tax. Check out the MW507.

That is true as long as they maintain a permanent residence in West Virginia and do not establish a permanent residence in MD. You would then report all of your wages to WV and pay the lower WV 6.5% tax versus the circa 7.85% tax to MD.

Your residence is where you have a drivers license, vote, have a permanent address, and send your kids to school, so you can't simply live in MD and buy a hunting cabin in WV and not pay MD tax. You can be a WV resident and have an apartment in MD that you stay in during the work week and not pay MD tax though.

State income tax reciprocities can be tricky, and every state has different deals with their neighboring states.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    That is true as long as they maintain a permanent residence in West Virginia and do not establish a permanent residence in MD. You would then report all of your wages to WV and pay the lower WV 6.5% tax versus the circa 7.85% tax to MD.

Your residence is where you have a drivers license, vote, have a permanent address, and send your kids to school, so you can't simply live in MD and buy a hunting cabin in WV and not pay MD tax. You can be a WV resident and have an apartment in MD that you stay in during the work week and not pay MD tax though.

State income tax reciprocities can be tricky, and every state has different deals with their neighboring states.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. One must establish domicile in WV first, which includes the items you've listed. I'm not yet able to do this, since my kids go to school here in HoCo.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have no intent to officially establish residency in this crappy state. However, the Libtards in Charge will likely state otherwise.

What does "establishing residency" mean? What are the qualifiers?

Good question to which there is no clear answer. The foregoing is NOT legal advice, only a discussion.

The controlling principle in Maryland (like other states) is that the term "resident" can mean different things in different statutes and in different contexts. Forbes v. Harleysville Mut. Ins. Co., 322 Md. 689, 589 A.2d 944 (1991) (holding that the meaning of "resident" is determined by the "totality of the circumstances."). See also Attorney Grievance Com'n of Maryland v. Josep, 422 Md. 670, 31 A.3d 137 Md.,2011. ("it is clear, pursuant to California case law, that the statute uses the term “resident” in the ordinary, common sense fashion, meaning a place where one has an “abode of some permanency,” rather than as a synonym for domicile.") Here is the principle: "If the language of the statute is ambiguous, . . . then ‘courts consider not only the literal or usual meaning of the words, but their meaning and effect in light of the setting, the objectives and purpose of [the] enactment [under consideration].’" Mundey, 396 MD at 665-66, quoting Fraternal Order of Police v. Mehrling, 343 Md. 155, 174, 680 A.2d 1052, 1062 (1996) (quoting Tucker v. Fireman's Fund Ins. Co., 308 Md. 69, 75, 517 A.2d 730, 732 (1986)). ‘[T]he meaning of the plainest language is controlled by the context in which it appears.’ State v. Pagano, 341 Md. 129, 133, 669 A.2d 1339, 1341 (1996). Attorney Grievance Com'n of Maryland v. Joseph 422 Md. 670, 31 A.3d 137Md.,2011. As a MD court has stated: "[t]he meaning of the term ‘residence’ or ‘resident’ is a mixed question of law and fact. In order to determine if a person is a resident of a particular household, the court must consider whether in the totality of the circumstances that person maintains a physical presence in the household with intent to remain for more than a mere transitory period, or that person has a reasonably recent history of physical presence together with circumstances that manifest an intent to return to the residence within a reasonably foreseeable period." Mundey v. Erie Ins. Group 396 Md. 656, 914 A.2d 1167 Md.,2007.

Under these interpretative canons, the purpose matters. The ATF reg, for example, is intended to make clear that students can purchase in the state in which they are a student, an expansion of the right otherwise foreclosed by federal law, 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3) (barring interstate purchase of handguns). The MD registration requirement for new residents, on the other hand, is restrictive and punitive, in that it requires registration on pain of criminal penalty by persons who become "residents" (not domiciles, which is a person who intends to take up permanent resident as his home, but residents, which may include temporary residents). Since the purpose was to require people who are actually physically present in the state as "residents" to register their firearms, a state court could well find that that purpose is furthered by requiring a temporary resident to do so if the person is, in fact, living here in an “abode of some permanency.” Indeed, such a temporary resident may have to comply with the rest of MD law with respect to firearms, including possession in MD and purchase.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Thanks, esqappellate. So, it would seem we can't have our cake and eat it too. I suppose Maryland would tax us upon the cake AND the eating...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not up on the intricacies of the MD ( Medical Doctor) biz. Could an Intern be considered a full time student ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom