• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I am new to this forum and I apologize in advance if this issue has already been largely addressed in prior threads.

Here goes:

Criminal Law Article
    §4–203.

(a)
    (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:
    (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person;
    (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;
    (iii) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph while on public school property in the State; or
    (iv) violate item (i) or (ii) of this paragraph with the deliberate purpose of injuring or killing another person.

(2) There is a rebuttable presumption that a person who transports a handgun under paragraph (1)(ii) of this subsection transports the handgun knowingly.

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun, in compliance with any limitations imposed under § 5–307 of the Public Safety Article, by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

Public Safety Article
    § 5-307. Scope of permit

(a) In general. -- A permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person to whom the permit is issued.
    (b) Limitations. -- The Secretary may limit the geographic area, circumstances, or times of the day, week, month, or year in which a permit is effective.

My question:

For context, I am a non-resident interested in carrying a handgun (concealed) in the State of Maryland. My non-resident wear-and-carry application is currently pending.

On its face, § 5-307(b) provides the Secretary of State Police (or the Secretary’s designee) broad discretion to limit where, when, and how one may carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maryland. Where can I find whether (or how) the Secretary of State Police has exercised this discretion from an administrative standpoint (or otherwise) other than the list of prohibited places published on the Maryland State Police website?

I have performed a generic search of the term “handgun” in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) website and not found any other restrictions on transportation or possession, other than what the MSP have published.
    Does anyone have any more information?

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Restrictions on your Permit will be tailored to the reason(s) that your employer states on the application , for you to be armed for their benefit .

Not applying for specific employment purposes ? Seeking to be armed for protection of yourself and family , during everyday life, as in most of America ? Your question is moot .

The Restrictions on your Permit will be tailored to the reason(s) that your employer states on the application , for you to be armed for their benefit .

Not applying for specific employment purposes ? Seeking to be armed for protection of yourself and family , during everyday life, as in most of America ? Your question is moot .

This. If you do security and will be carrying valuables through Maryland, you will get restrictions such as "while performing duties for XYZ Security Company."
    If you're looking for a personal protection CCW in Maryland, stop right now- It isn't going to happen. Maryland is a very restricted/repressive state.

On a side note, someone will post something about you not introducing yourself in the intro section in 3,2,1...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no such thing as " Non-Resident Permit " .

However non-residents may apply for , and receive a plain 'ol Maryland Wear & Carry Permit . Same requirements and procedures as for Maryland residents. And a substantial number of non-residents have one . Primarily employees of Security related companies . Either companies that do business in multiple states, or employees who live un neighboring states, and commute to a Md based job.

SSGRosa

May 31, 2013
    Pasadena
    Well, there's nothing wrong with trying. In fact, we have to try. Because, even though we know it's very unlikely, if we don't try then politicians don't care. They'll think they've won in beating us down. Somewhere, someone is making the case of "See, there aren't nearly enough submitted applications for us to consider the CCW laws. There just aren't enough people that want it to waste our time on it." Stick it to the man.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There is no such thing as " Non-Resident Permit " .

However non-residents may apply for , and receive a plain 'ol Maryland Wear & Carry Permit . Same requirements and procedures as for Maryland residents. And a substantial number of non-residents have one . Primarily employees of Security related companies . Either companies that do business in multiple states, or employees who live un neighboring states, and commute to a Md based job.

Why do people keep lumping in security guard permits with regular CCW permits? When a armed security guard says he has a carry permit I say "No you don't.".

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD simply issues W&C permits. Where you reside doesn't seem to be a consideration, at least as far as MSP LD publicly admits to.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the activities and places that may be allowed are contained in the W&C permit app.

Attachments

• WearandCarryApplication01-17.pdf
      1.5 MB · Views: 233

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Well, there's nothing wrong with trying. In fact, we have to try. Because, even though we know it's very unlikely, if we don't try then politicians don't care. They'll think they've won in beating us down. Somewhere, someone is making the case of "See, there aren't nearly enough submitted applications for us to consider the CCW laws. There just aren't enough people that want it to waste our time on it." Stick it to the man.
    Thank you for your service. :patriot:

I am sorry you were wounded.

I, like some/many, cannot afford the time and training to apply for a permit to only be denied, then go through the arduous appeal process and likely never get the permit. I understand your sentiment, it is just not happening for me.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't understand your reasoning. Care to elaborate?

Many with security guard permits for work, tout that they have a carry permit thus eluding to that they can carry outside of their work realm, like someone who has one under G&S.

Many here speak about them like they are synonymous.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Many with security guard permits for work, tout that they have a carry permit thus eluding to that they can carry outside of their work realm, like someone who has one under G&S.

Many here speak about them like they are synonymous.

I understand your reasoning. Thanks.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    If you end up disapproved, then your next step is to appeal that to the HPRB.

I have seen posts where people differentiate between "disapprovals" and "denials."

If one is still unsuccessful at the HPRB level, does that result in an affirmation of the "disapproval," or does it result in a "denial"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom