• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I thank God the family is unaware of the existence of this thread. This is an ongoing investigation and there is more to the story than has been released. People should keep that fact in mind before shooting off their crass "theories". How would you feel if your son had been murdered and people who never even met him were assuming he was capable of such sick actions? We all know how skewed and untrustworthy today's media is yet we readily use it to condemn others when it fits our agenda or entertainment purposes. I pray to God none of you ever lose a child and have to endure the pain this family is suffering through right now. I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this but it needed to be said. Think people......just think.
    ....but I'll bet you read every post plus the original article, huh? Did you know that even the police come up with theories based on the evidence at hand, just like we do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I thank God the family is unaware of the existence of this thread. This is an ongoing investigation and there is more to the story than has been released. People should keep that fact in mind before shooting off their crass "theories". How would you feel if your son had been murdered and people who never even met him were assuming he was capable of such sick actions? We all know how skewed and untrustworthy today's media is yet we readily use it to condemn others when it fits our agenda or entertainment purposes. I pray to God none of you ever lose a child and have to endure the pain this family is suffering through right now. I'm sure I'm wasting my time with this but it needed to be said. Think people......just think.

Exactly the reason I stayed the hell out of the 'rape' thread.

WriterGal

Jul 9, 2017
    New updated article out

Hey all!

Noticed this last week in the CTN

http://www.times-news.com/news/loca...cle_8581904c-627b-11e7-ba7c-17f8b4aafc74.html

I'm from the area originally, born and raised on Big Savage mountain, so this case is one that I've been closely following. Those of you that commented that you live close to the scene or know some of the first responders, or heard the dispatchers -- I'd be interested in knowing more.

As a kid growing up, I remember all the old stories of witches, satanic cults and other weirdness. I remember when our family dog went missing, an old timer neighbor telling me that he was sacrificed by satanists at sir johns rock. (I was about 10 at the time)

Something tells me this isn't occult related, but related to money. As in the $188,000 that was transferred and the beneficiary is the girl who was with him that night.

My heart goes out to his family and all who knew him.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I was just looking for an update on this thread after what I heard the other day about the girl getting the money. My thoughts is how did he come up with $188,000 in the 3 years since he got kicked out of the Coast Guard Academy? $60+ thousand a year for doing what in Frostburg?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I was just looking for an update on this thread after what I heard the other day about the girl getting the money. My thoughts is how did he come up with $188,000 in the 3 years since he got kicked out of the Coast Guard Academy? $60+ thousand a year for doing what in Frostburg?

It mentions in the article. When he was a kid, a childless aunt had made gifts into a trust account. When he turned 18 he received the proceeds of the trust.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Steve Irwin approves of this post

Carrie Fisher approves of this post

Natalie Wood approves of this post

:cool:

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Article in the Cumberland Times UPDATED 2 day .the woman who was with Alex Stephens has been charged with his murder--he had on December 28 transferred over $188,000. to a financial fund and named her beneficiary

I said all along she new More than she was telling

Jim

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In addition to murder II, she is charged with assisted suicide. I wonder what twisted story is behind all this.

From what has been released, it sounds like they got naked and jumped off high-rock in an attempt to commit joint suicide. When he didnt die she finished him off with the knife. If that is the case, the monkey business with his money doesn't make sense.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I hope the family can find some peace and frankly I hope they get that money. Did she ever take possession of the money or was it not funded yet due to the suspicious circumstances?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Article in the Cumberland Times UPDATED 2 day .the woman who was with Alex Stephens has been charged with his murder--he had on December 28 transferred over $188,000. to a financial fund and named her beneficiary

I said all along she new More than she was telling

Jim

In addition to murder II, she is charged with assisted suicide. I wonder what twisted story is behind all this.

I'm a little confused. How can she be charged with both of these offenses for the same crime? IANAL, but it would seem that either would be exclusive and could not be congruent.

Who took the young man's life?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I hope the family can find some peace and frankly I hope they get that money. Did she ever take possession of the money or was it not funded yet due to the suspicious circumstances?

The money is 'detained' by order of the circuit Court of Allegany County.

With the new developments, I doubt she'll see a penny of it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I'm a little confused. How can she be charged with both of these offenses for the same crime? IANAL, but it would seem that either would be exclusive and could not be congruent.

Sequential acts. First assisted, then completed the job. He had injuries from both a fall and his throat being cut. Movies nonwithstanding, it is very hard to cut your throat twice.

The state can also file different levels of charges for the same crime. The jury can then decide whether the elements of the crime fit a particular level. Given the financial transaction and the fact that there was a lead-up to the actual death, I am suprised that the charge is not first degree.

Last edited:

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    From todays trial:

Shaffer, 21, of Ridgeley, West Virginia, was charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and assisting another to commit or attempt to commit suicide in the death of Stevens, 24, of Frostburg. Stevens was found, naked, with his throat slashed and at the bottom of a cliff, known as High Rock, dead on Jan. 4, 2017, within the Savage River State Forest in Garrett County near Pine Swamp Road.

In December, Shaffer entered a not guilty plea to each count.

On March 19, she was found guilty of second-degree murder.
    Moments after learning she faces 30 years in prison, Megan Shaffer wept as she was led -- in handcuffs and wearing a mustard-colored jail jumpsuit -- by deputies from a Garrett County Circuit Court room Wednesday afternoon.
    Garrett County State’s Attorney Lisa Thayer Welch talked of a pre-sentencing investigation held prior to Wednesday's hearing.

The investigation showed Shaffer was not remorseful and she showed no empathy regarding the death of Alexander Stevens.

You can read the full story in the Cumberland Times-News web site

http://www.times-news.com/news/loca...cle_950f126a-900f-11e8-bee2-1bc3160a64ce.html

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom