• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    Here she is!!

very nice. I started with a bare Kidd receiver and built mine up from there using all Kidd parts. it shoots better than I can.

Attachments

• IMG_5233.jpg
      IMG_5233.jpg
      94.9 KB · Views: 258
    • Kidd 1022.jpg
      Kidd 1022.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 235

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    There are 1000 variables. You may chase what you are looking for for a long time and spend a bunch of money.

First and the biggest consideration: How much are you willing to spend on a box of rimfire ammo? Once you get to about 3/4 to 1/2 inch at 50 yards, ammo cost will be the deciding factor.

Second: Factory Ruger receivers have design limitations that are built in. The barrel tenon bore variance, the clamp, and single action screw to name a few.

The custom builders like Kidd are not crazy expensive by the time you get a rifle of equal accuracy potential built. Depending on how much you want to spend and experiment with ammo.

I cannot stress enough the importance of ammo. With rimfire you are at the mercy of the ammo.

I have had stock rugers to custom Kidd. I settled on SK+ and my home build of King Ugly. I am consistently in the 5/8 range at 50. I'm not saying "all day long", But I can clean a card about 80% of the time with $6 a box ammo. And shoot for 1/2 over the whole sheet. I used to shoot every night, weather depending in my back yard and have a lot of rounds shot.

All that said. My favorite gun to shoot is a CZ American with a cheap RM scope.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have built a couple up from the receiver. Mainly competition guns, but I tend to build everything that way and seldom buy new or used guns complete. The 2 10/22s I built started from stripped receiver off GunBroker.com. One is my primary rimfire open division rifle for Steel Challenge and Rimfire Challenge. Then later I bought another receiver to build a competition iron sight rifle for the same competition. I did buy a stock 10/22 from Dick's awhile back to use as a parts supply. Also built a Ruger Mk III from scratch with no Ruger frame parts. We call one a Frankenruger. I did them that way to install very specific parts in the build.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I did something I said I would never do...own a $1200+ 10/22.

Now had I done the research before hand, I wouldn't have bought parts twice. So here's the my combo that if I do my part, will shoot 10-15 shot groups measuring 3/8" at 50 yards and I'm trying for the 1/4" group.

Ruger 10/22 receiver and bolt, power custom extended titanium bolt handle, Kidd trigger set at 7oz and 7oz, bell and Carlson anschutz style stock, volquartsen barrel... And a first generation vortex crossfire 6-24x50.

I spent 5 hrs getting the barrel into the receiver and it was such a tight fit, it's pretty much permanently installed.

For practice ammo, it likes the wolf match/extra match, sk. When I compete with it, Lapua x-act is the most accurate in this combo for me.

I learned that the 1st round from each mag will be a flyer (when pulling bolt handle back and letting it fly, vs the 2nd-10th round from it cycling on its own).

At a match in Richmond, one of the other shooters said "you'll never win a match with a semi" (he was using a $5k+, 20+# single shot). I just replied "you'll never take that 20# rifle out in woods to shoot squirrels, I call it even". ��

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    A professional violinist can make a crap instrument sound good. A crappy violinist can make a Stradivarius sound bad. It is not the bow or arrow but the person pulling the string that makes the shot.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Pretty common group from my build using KIDD lightweight barrel, trigger, magpul stock, suppressed at 50 off bag. I like that it’s really light and easy to maneuver. Fun shooting clays off hand at 65 without getting tired.

4d9392a2649fa819255f5d8c9e25f187.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom