• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    DA - I will concede this much; looks like there are 30 cal bullets out there with really nice BC's. Case and point, Hornady 195 grain boat tail Item No. 3095, has a BC of 0.550, that's really good! Fabs, I think if you reload you can make any of these work. Me personally, I would go either 6.5 or 308, and 6.5 I would imagine would have less felt recoil. Then you can wait and see how well the 6 Creedmoor does.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    If I did that, I wouldn't sell the barrel.

Leaning toward the Desert Tech SRS right now thanks to DA. Just need to figure out when I should broach the subject to my wife as we are planning on buying/building a new house in the near future.

Fabs - what did you decide to do?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Fabs - what did you decide to do?
    lol - decided to come to the rifles forum to ask about the T/C Encore and saw this thread revival.

Ended up going with two Ruger Precision Rifles. One in .338 Lapua and another in 6.5 Creedmoor. Still need to get glass for both of them and I am debating the purchase of reloading dies today as I have received e-mail after e-mail from RCBS and Precision Reloading over the past couple of days with their Black Friday deals.

Was talking to my brother earlier in the week about 338 Lapua v. 6.5 Creedmoor because he was out in WV last weekend riding ATVs and shooting. He is looking at buying his first bolt rifle. He bought an AR a decade before me, but he has never bought a bolt rifle.

First pic is of the 338 Lapua. The other two are of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Muzzle brake on the 338 Lapua is a lot beefier than on the 6.5

MdShooters425.jpg
    MdShooters424.jpg
    MdShooters426.jpg

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    lol - decided to come to the rifles forum to ask about the T/C Encore and saw this thread revival.

Ended up going with two Ruger Precision Rifles. One in .338 Lapua and another in 6.5 Creedmoor. Still need to get glass for both of them and I am debating the purchase of reloading dies today as I have received e-mail after e-mail from RCBS and Precision Reloading over the past couple of days with their Black Friday deals.

Was talking to my brother earlier in the week about 338 Lapua v. 6.5 Creedmoor because he was out in WV last weekend riding ATVs and shooting. He is looking at buying his first bolt rifle. He bought an AR a decade before me, but he has never bought a bolt rifle.

First pic is of the 338 Lapua. The other two are of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Muzzle brake on the 338 Lapua is a lot beefier than on the 6.5

View attachment 389547 View attachment 389548 View attachment 389549
    Funny how many tinder selfies are in the bathroom.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Enjoy my RPR 6.5, but you have to really admire a guy who takes his to the bathroom with him.
    Sorry, I don't keep a full length mirror in the bedroom to admire myself and take the occasional firearm pic. Guess I should have asked my wife to take the pic or I should invest in a selfie stick. The latter would probably be the best bet.

Then again, I am definitely a firearm aficionado.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

Nice! Having shot both and the 308, I really like the platform. The 338 has a significant thump to her. Mrs Fabs won't like that. The 6.5, however, is mild. When you shoot either, the people next to you will not be happy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Nice! Having shot both and the 308, I really like the platform. The 338 has a significant thump to her. Mrs Fabs won't like that. The 6.5, however, is mild. When you shoot either, the people next to you will not be happy.
    Ported shotguns are pretty loud. Can only imagine what a ported rifle in 6.5CM or 338 Lapua will sound like. I don't think my wife has any desire to shoot either of these. My 13 year old and 10 year old do though. Only going to let them try the 6.5CM when I finally get it set up.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Nightforce bench rest rifle scopes are a relative bargain. The glass is great. Price is reasonable because they aren’t over-engineered to be dropped off a cliff. I have one on my .260 Remington.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Ported shotguns are pretty loud. Can only imagine what a ported rifle in 6.5CM or 338 Lapua will sound like. I don't think my wife has any desire to shoot either of these. My 13 year old and 10 year old do though. Only going to let them try the 6.5CM when I finally get it set up.
    The Nightforce bench rest rifle scopes are a relative bargain. The glass is great. Price is reasonable because they aren’t over-engineered to be dropped off a cliff. I have one on my .260 Remington.

There were recently some killer deals on 1st gen Viper PST, like half price. Like under $500. Great scope for the money. It would be perfect for either. Get GOOD mounts for that ever scope you get. The 338 will really need it.
    The RPR's work well with suppressors. They also help reduce perceived recoil. I can feel a difference on my 308.
    Be advised, both rifles usually come with a 20 MOA rail for long distance (you probably knew that). You can get 0 MOA rail from Ruger for 100/200 yards. My buddy with the 338 learned the hard way.
    I have shot the docs NF and really liked that as well.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There were recently some killer deals on 1st gen Viper PST, like half price. Like under $500. Great scope for the money. It would be perfect for either. Get GOOD mounts for that ever scope you get. The 338 will really need it.
    The RPR's work well with suppressors. They also help reduce perceived recoil. I can feel a difference on my 308.
    Be advised, both rifles usually come with a 20 MOA rail for long distance (you probably knew that). You can get 0 MOA rail from Ruger for 100/200 yards. My buddy with the 338 learned the hard way.

I knew about the 20 MOA rail. Not sure I want to shoot either of these guns at 100 to 200 yards unless I absolutely have to. I have other bolt rifles for that stuff. 220 Swift, 25-06, 270 Win, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag. I think 300 yards would be the minimum for these two rifles with 500+ being optimal.

Looking at getting a Ruger Hawkeye compact in 243 Win and calling it a day for rifles for the most part. That will solve my T/C Encore problem and I should have plenty of rifles for the kids to grow into. Can even build up an AR upper or two for my left handed shooter and solve that problem. When he is old enough, I might get him his own dedicated long range gun with a left handed bolt.

As far as scopes go, I have only ever bought Burris. Probably going to buy Burris scopes for these rifles too.

So many decisions, so little time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

The 20 MOA rail will still work at 100 yards with a decent scope. I actually switched mine to a 30 MOA rail and still have no problem with getting a hundred yard zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The 20 MOA rail will still work at 100 yards with a decent scope. I actually switched mine to a 30 MOA rail and still have no problem with getting a hundred yard zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My buddy with the 338 didn't to spend the money on a decent scope, so he opted for the rail.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    My buddy with the 338 didn't to spend the money on a decent scope, so he opted for the rail.

This is the scope I am contemplating. Front Focal Plane with a 34mm tube. 70 MOA of vertical adjustment, 30 MOA of windage adjustment. Thinking about putting it on both rifles. Not completely sold on the reticle, but I can make it work.

Of course, Amazon has it on sale for Cyber Monday at a pretty incredible price. Doubt my wife will see it the same way though. lol

Even the rings for the scope are expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom