• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    How close do you get to the shooting before you put on your eye protection?

That is, when you go to the range where other people are shooting (whether a static range where people are standing or sitting & shooting at paper, or an event such as 3-Gun, USPSA, IDPA, trap, skeet, etc), how close do you get before you put on your eye protection?

Only when you get to your firing point or firing line? When you walk into the bay or event "stage" area? When you get out of your car at an outdoor range? When you drive onto the property?

At a recent shooting event one person commented that while a spectator was wearing hearing protection, they weren't wearing eye protection.

So while we all know that the shooter & any immediately close by safety officers, etc. should wear eye protection (let's pretend we all know that,) at what point should spectators & shooters-in-waiting wear eye protection? Is there a distance? Any such objective guideline?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It would depend on the range. An indoor range, I put the glasses on before I enter the shooting area. Outdoor range like AGC, as soon as I'm on the concrete pad. The only time I take them off is during a cease fire or if I walk back off of the concrete. Shooting in a field or other non-formal range, it would all depend. I have no clear cut answer for that. I guess it would be whenever I felt the need.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As soon as I get out of the car for outdoor. But I usually have sunglasses on already.
    Flying brass is highly probable even before I hit the concrete pad, but "you never know"
    Indoor, as required by the range, before entering the buffer doors.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    When shooting skeet, I put on my shooting glasses the second I walk out of the car. Not so much for safety reasons, but to adjust to the tint. Like j_h, when at AGC I will swap between prescription and shooting glasses when I walk on/off the pad.

I can understand why some people would wear eye protection when around shooting activities, regardless of location. If it makes them feel comfortable, great! I just don't think, with all the general safety rules, there is any cause for concern. If shooting steel at close range, that's a different story.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    A good question I honestly never thought about.

It's been more than 25 years since I shot indoors and I can't remember the last time I arrived at our club range with someone there already shooting.

Most of the time I'm already wearing sunglasses/safety glasses.

Thanks for putting it out there.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    As soon as I get out of the car for outdoor.

This although yesterday I shot half the first station of wobble with my glasses perched up on my head.
    I had put my glasses "on" but not on on.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thought about this question twice this week.

Once with a guy shooting a Mini-14, given the velocity and the impressive distance of the ejected brass. No surprises there, as they're well known for that. But watching that served well as a reminder.

The second was looking over and finding a perfectly petaled copper bullet jacket, minus lead core, sitting on a table next to my lane position.

Somebody picked it up downrange and set it there? It flew back upon impact and landed there?

I'll never know, but either is possible.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It depends on the situation. Oftentimes when I show up to Delmarva and other places, I'm the first one on the range. I take my time getting ready then. If I am at an indoor range or people are actively shooting, I tend to put eyes and ears on as soon as I can. Indoor definitely before I walk into the range proper, outdoor as soon as my car is parked. If there's a really big crowd, I . . . Get back in my car and go somewhere else because I am grumpy and don't like being around crowds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom