• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Hey Everyone,

I had the opportunity to take a two day defensive handgun course at Frontsight Firearms Training Facility from 3/10- 3/11 and figured i'd share my thoughts in case anyone else was thinking of taking a class with them.

Here's the text from an email I sent them upon request for comment:

Overall, FrontSight's presentation, organization, and focus on safety were all perfectly executed and made myself and my girlfriend feel welcomed and comfortable. This was unexpected, as I was expecting a "better than thou" mentality. Registration, rental pickup, and weapons inspection went very smoothly and all of the individuals i interacted with were pleasant and helpful.

On the range all instructors, line coaches, and the rangemaster were all very professional and obviously proficient in the skills they were teaching. I felt the pacing and transition from skill to skill was perfect and allowed each student to build off of base of safe firearm handling, rather than jumping right into shooting.

My suggestions of improvement are as follows:

Online Resources

The Frontsight website is awful to use and navigate. As a customer I do not want to have to fish through link after link to find out what I need to bring, where I need to go, and when I need to get there.
    My recommendation is to either improve the website, or after someone confirms registration, send them an email that outlines the specifics of exactly what is needed, what time to arrive, and what to expect.
    A specified outline of what will be covered on the range would be preferred, rather than just listing "range activities"

Lunch Presentations

I went to Frontsight to learn how to manipulate a handgun effectively. I don't want to listen to a sales pitch for some service or piece of gear that I don't want or don't care about while I sit in the only air conditioned room on the facility.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience, and learned a lot. They primarily teach weaver, which some feel is a bit dated, but after learning proper technique I can say it significantly improved the accuracy of my shooting.

The MSRP on the class is $1,000.00, however you can buy various levels of memberships for much less than that, which either eliminates the cost of the class (makes it "free"), or subsidizes the cost of the class. Personally, I would not (and did not) pay 1k to take this course. Everything they taught can be sourced easily on youtube or in various training texts, however their facility and staff are both top notch and that is well worth paying for. They have "partner" vendors that offer presentations during lunch, which I understand have relevancy to the topic at hand, however it felt gimmicky and preachy, and was not what I wanted to listen to as I ate my lunch in the only air conditioned room on the site.

Overall, i'd rate my experience an 8/10, and would take another one of their courses.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    $1000 for a two-day class????? All to teach you Weaver and be preached to? Did Tom Cruise show up in his spaceship, too? Wow. Just wow.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    $1000 for a two-day class????? All to teach you Weaver and be preached to? Did Tom Cruise show up in his spaceship, too? Wow. Just wow.

That's the MSRP. I paid nothing aside from the 50 dollar background check charge that's good for a year. The actual instruction is quite good despite not teaching the latest techniques (isosceles). Keep in mind this is "defensive" shooting, not John Wick high speed 3 gun shooting. Their main goal is accuracy and consistency while under pressure.There were plenty of guys in the class who seemed to know their way around a pistol, but their groups were shit and their manipulations weren't too great either.

I wasn't too keen on the preachy fearmongering alarmist lunchtime seminars, but other than that I had a pretty good time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Did you bother to read below the quote box before blowing up his post? :sad20:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Did you bother to read below the quote box before blowing up his post? :sad20:

Yes, I did. Did he not say that MSRP for the course was $1000? Or did I add a 0 to that somehow? I realize HE didn't pay that (although he wasn't very specific about how he avoided that cost), but that IS the stated MSRP, which is nuts. That is what I was addressing, not the OPs actual cost to him.

Hey, he had fun, great. I've never heard a good thing about FrontSight, and this AAR just confirms it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom