• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Results just in and it's a big win for our team. Preliminary Injunction Attached.

Judge Scullen essentially said that the District could not connect their interest in public safety with laws preventing lawful people from carrying in public. Likewise, the District could not demonstrate that a good cause requirement could even plausibly protect people who had not yet faced a violent crime.

Keep in mind DC copied Maryland law when crafting their rules.

Orders:

After reviewing the entire file in this matter, the parties' submissions and the applicable law, and for the above-stated reasons, the Court hereby

ORDERS that Plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction is GRANTED; and the Court further

ORDERS that Defendants, their officers, agents, servants, employees, and all persons in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of the injunction are enjoined from enforcing the requirement of D.C. Code § 22-4506(a) that handgun carry license applicants have a "good reason to fear injury to his or her person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol," including, but not limited to, the manner in which that requirement is defined by D.C. Code § 7-2509.11 and 24 D.C.M.R. §§ 2333.1, 2333.2, 2333.3, 2333.4, and 2334.1, against Plaintiffs Brian Wrenn, Joshua Akery, Tyler Whidby, and other members of Plaintiff Second Amendment Foundation, Inc.; and the Court further

ORDERS that Defendants, their officers, agents, servants, employees, and all persons in active concert or participation with them who receive actual notice of the injunction, are enjoined from denying handgun carry licenses to applicants who meet the requirements of D.C. Code 22- 4506(a) and all other current requirements for the possession and carrying of handguns under District of Columbia law; and the Court further

ORDERS that, pursuant to Rule 65(c) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Plaintiffs shall post security in the amount of $1,000.00; and the Court further

ORDERS that counsel shall appear for a conference with the Court on Tuesday, July 7, 2015, at 11:00 a.m. to discuss an expedited schedule for the resolution of this case.

Attachments

• Wrenn opinion prelim injunction.pdf
      173.4 KB · Views: 979

win296

Jun 15, 2012
    Baltimore
    What is the status with the new DC carry law? I thought Congress (House oversight committee I think) had to give approval to all new laws in DC.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    :thumbsup:

There was reason to be optimistic with this one given Judge Scullin had the case. He spelled out that the good cause/reason clause is toast. Time/Place/Manner can be regulated.

Wanna bet how far the District will take that one?...

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I had to look up "enjoined" and "preliminary injunction".

And now that I know what they mean.... Wow. In DC no less. :shocked:

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It means for the time being DC is virtually shall issue, after fulfilling all the background checks and training.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It means for the time being DC is virtually shall issue, after fulfilling all the background checks and training.
    D@mn I started the licensing process for my business in DC today. Half the reason was for G&S for a DC carry permit. Who would have thought that G&S would die in DC that fast. Wow.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    We've seen this play out right?

A rogue (read non liberal) Judge rules one way and the state (in this case district) will cry foul and win on appeal.

Neva been done befoe.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I turned my DC application in 86 days ago.

As a DC CCL Instructor, I am unable to teach unless I get a permit to carry (transport) a registered firearm into DC.

From anecdotal evidence, I believe our public servants sit on the application requesting permission to exercise our rights until the last possible day.

I'll update if or when I hear anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom