• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    My First Build -- Updated

Hi folks. I'm a long-time lurker and infrequent poster. I am starting to compile the parts for my first build. I already have one AR (Bushmaster HBAR), so I am looking to build my second based on what I like and don't like about the Bushy.

I would appreciate your thoughts/feedback on my plans. The one thing I am really undecided on is whether to go with a lightweight or gov't profile barrel. Would like to hear your thoughts on the two. Thanks in advance!

8/9/2012 Update
    I have finally ordered all the parts and updated the component list. Some parts were ordered more based on availability, otherwise I probably would have more BCM components in the build. Pics will follow once I receive them and put it all together.

8/15/2012 Update
    Here is my build. The optic is temporary until I buy the Eotech and was on my other AR.
    6989d1fb.jpg

With my Bushmaster HBAR
    02cc5440.jpg

Lower
    CMMG Stripped Lower and LPK
    Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced 3 Gun Trigger
    Magpul CTR Mil Spec Stock, Foliage Green
    Daniel Defense Mil-Spec Buffer Tube, Castle Nut, H Buffer, and Carbine Buffer Spring
    Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip, Foliage Green
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard, Foliage Green
    Ambidextrous Safety Selector
    Magpul ASAP End Plate/Sling Adaptor
    Magpul MS3 sling
    Tactical Link Battery Assist Lever

Upper
    Spikes Tactical Assembled Upper Receiver
    BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Barrel, government profile
    Daniel Defense Lite Rail 10" Mid Length Extended
    YHM Low Profile Gas Block
    Gas Tube
    YHM Phantom 5C2 Flash Hider
    BCM Bolt and Bolt Carrier Assembly
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle - Medium
    Magpul MBUS Front and Rear Sights, Foliage Green
    MOE RVG, Foliage Green
    Ladder Rail Covers, Foliage Green
    Magpul RSA Sling Mount

Optic (not yet ordered)
    Currently planning on an Eotech 516

Last edited:

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    The Magpul sling is one of the options on my list. Seems like the front Magpul sling mount would hang down quite a bit - but I haven't seen it on a rifle yet.

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    The LW is 4oz lighter than the Gov't profile. Either way, I'm saving weight compared to the HBAR. In your opinion, what are the benefits of the government barrel over the lightweight?

Thanks!

I had the same question, i'm currently debating between a light profile and normal barrel too.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Sounds good to me. I have the following off your list on my rifle: STR, MOE+, MOE TG, YHM Phantom, and Rear MBUS. All are good.
    I don't have a cmmg lower, but I do have one of their uppers and it is GTG.

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    Nice components! I'm in the middle of my build and have a few components in common with yours. Looking forward to seeing your completed build.

Here's a link to my build if you are interested in checking it out, I try to keep it updated with part pics as i get them and with assembly pics:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=86391

BigW

Tactical Geek
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bowie, MD
    Make sure you pin that gas block.

I'm using the same gas block on my build. is this an issue? any info would be appreciated, i'm about to have my muzzle device pinned and would like of any issues before I have that done.

Thanks,
    -Willy

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    In this day of tacti-cool rifles and accessories, you forgot to list the plasmatonic denebulizer. :lol2:

But in all seriousness it looks like a good build and can't wait to see the completed project.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    Looks like a great build. My preference is the Magpul STR over the CTR and the LW barrel vs the Gov't profile. Difference in barrel life is only supposed to be about 5000 rounds (20-25K vs 25-30K according to BCM literature) and there is a noticeable difference in the weight.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Looks like a great build. My preference is the Magpul STR over the CTR and the LW barrel vs the Gov't profile. Difference in barrel life is only supposed to be about 5000 rounds (20-25K vs 25-30K according to BCM literature) and there is a noticeable difference in the weight.

I actually wanted the STR, but at the time I purchased the stock, I wasn't able to find a foliage green one in stock anywhere online or local. Of course, now that I have the CTR, the fol green STR's are probably everywhere.

I am going to see how the rifle balances once put together and may end up selling the CTR if I want more weight in the back to balance it out.

I was torn between the LW and gov. I am use to shooting my Bushmaster HBAR, heavy barrel .308, and heavy barrel slug gun, so I was afraid the LW might be too light for me. Barrel life wasn't really a concern with either as once I pay for and shoot enough ammo to wear either one of them out, the price of a new barrel is really insignificant.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I'm using the same gas block on my build. is this an issue? any info would be appreciated, i'm about to have my muzzle device pinned and would like of any issues before I have that done.

Thanks,
    -Willy

I don't believe it is an issue unique to that particular gas block, moreso any set-screw or clamp-on type. From what I have read, a non-pinned gas block has a much greater chance of rotating as pins in a FSB will prevent it from happening as long as they don't back out, which I believe is highly unlikely to happen on it's own. For ultimate reliability, it is the thing do. Is it necessary for everyone? Probably not. If your life may depend on the gun running at some point, it is probably the best thing to do.

I know a lot of people never have an issue with a non-pinned gas block, but it is a concern for those that run their gun hard. If your rail completely covers the gas block, I believe it is much less an issue. The DD 10" lite rail should cover all but about a 1/4" or so of the gas block from what I have read/seen, so not much of it is exposed.

For me personally, it is something I may do in the future, but it is not an immediate priority. I plan on checking it after about 500 rounds to see if anything has come loose. I do understand the issue/concerns, however.

Last edited:

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    Pics Added
    8/15/2012 Update
    Here is my build. The optic is temporary until I buy the Eotech and was on my other AR.
    6989d1fb.jpg

With my Bushmaster HBAR
    02cc5440.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom