Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 29th, 2020, 02:14 PM #1

Wild game corona boredom

So this week I thawed out 14 pounds of deer roasts and two hearts. Sliced the roasts to make jerky yesterday and cooked and pickled the hearts.

Pickled hearts have to sit for a week or more. First time trying it and jerky starts dehydrating Monday. I need better trays to use the smokehouse
Attached Images

Archeryrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 04:18 PM #2

Do you have a recipe for the pickled hearts? Perhaps sous verde'ing em before pickling would tenderize them.

I can't tell if you used a wet marinade for the jerky from the pic. If you did, you might want to vacuum seal the jerky meat in a canister or a vac bag. The marinade really permeates the meat using a vac packer. My daughter insists on a 48 hour marination interval.

Thanks.
hobiecat590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 07:33 PM #3

I boiled, simmered, the hearts (2) after cutting in half and trimming for two hours. It seemed tender enough, but cook how ever pleases you.

Then sliced into thin strips before being combined with layers of meat and onion, 1 tsp salt in the big one and 1/2in the small one. Then covered with a boiled broth of 1 cup water (stock) and 2 cups apple cider vinegar and two chopped garlic cloves, Plus 1 Tbsp of pickling spices. I cooked the heart with 1 Tbsp of pickling spices because my wife complains about the smell of deer cooking. Pickling spice smell filled the house. It is also amazing how much of a smell hot apple cider vinegar puts out.

both jars sealed and I put them just a few minutes ago into the fridge to chill until this corona epidemic is over and my buddy and me and taste them with a bunch of man sodas.

I am trying to find more and more things to use all the deer. I thought one about saving intestines as sheep casings are so expensive for breakfast sausages. I almost slapped myself after I realized the level of work that would entail.

Last edited by Archeryrob; April 2nd, 2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:00 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
I am trying to find more and more things to use all the deer. I thought one about saving intestines as sheep casings are so expensive for breakfast sausages. I almost slapped myself after I realized the level of work that would entail.
The caul fat from inside the stomach area is pretty good and makes an excellent self basting wrap for whatever meats you want. Last year was the first time I pulled the tongue from my deer and I made some tacos with it following some Mexican recipes for beef tongue tacos and it was very good as well. I'll have to try your pickled heart recipe. I always eat the heart but mainly just to not be wasteful. I definitely have not found a recipe that I'm in love with.
aht2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:08 PM #5

I'm all for caul fat but I think I'd rather try it from elk. I just can't eat deer fat. I am rendering it for black powder lube and want to try it for candles. But eating it, I can't. I rendered some this winter. I saved the fat and had some fatty flanks I wanted to render and save the meaty chunks for dog treats. I fried the good stuff first. One had nice 1/4" slice of meat and I was like "Oh, that looks good dog. One for you and one for me." Next it felt like some one Crisco'd the roof of my mouth. I said "Damn, now I remember why I don't eat deer fat. Dog, they are all yours!"
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:24 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aht2131 View Post
. I definitely have not found a recipe that I'm in love with.
I like heart,cut up,battered and fried.But usually just grind them up with the rest of the burger meat.
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:26 AM #7

Man, you guys are making this city boy shiver.

NRA - Endowment-Life Member
MSI Executive Member
MD Designated Collector
SOTAR Alumnus

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sealion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 10:03 AM #8

You better learn how to eat strange things for SHTF!
Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:36 PM #9

Quote:
I boiled, simmered, the hearts (2) after cutting in half and trimming for two hours. It seemed tender enough, but cook how ever pleases you.

Then sliced into thin strips before being combined with layers of meat and onion, 1 tsp salt in the big one and 1/2in the small one. Then covered with a boiled broth of 1 cup water (stock) and 2 cups apple cider vinegar and two chopped garlic cloves, Plus 1 Tbsp of pickling spices. I cooked the heart with 1 Tbsp of pickling spices because my wife complains about the smell of deer cooking. Pickling spice smell filled the house. It is also amazing how much of a smell hot apple cider vinegar puts out.

both jars sealed and I put them just a few minutes ago into the fridge to chill until this corona epidemic is over and my buddy and me and taste them with a but of man sodas.

Thanks. I'll try this.
hobiecat590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2020, 12:44 PM #10
YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!

Quote:
You better learn how to eat strange things for SHTF!
Working from home, my 'office' window looks out over a marsh. About 4PM, little muskrat subs start motoring all around it. Muskrat went out of season on the 15th of March. But I am definitely going to make some floats for next year and see how they taste (I've always heard they are excellent)....
Antarctica is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports