Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2020, 08:47 AM #61
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
Bullshit. You have a greater chance of drowning in your own blood two weeks from today than of dying in a car crash. They aren't filling FEMA trailers with dead car crash victims.
Hmm, about 35,000 people die each year in car crashes in the US.

So far, a whopping 1,046 people have died in the US from COVID 19.

So you are wrong. Even if we take that COVID 19 has only been around in the US for 1 month, that works out to about 24,000 deaths per year, IF the rate does not flatten. Which it HAS in China.

You still have a greater chance of dying in a car crash.

And, BTW, FEMA is NOT filling trailers with COVID 19 bodies either.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:35 AM #62
Jake4U's Avatar
Jake4U Jake4U is online now
Wish I lived in America
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 349
Jake4U Jake4U is online now
Wish I lived in America
Jake4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You are missing the whole point.

The point is, MANY people die every year from the flu. Or car accidents (35,000 - 40,000). Or medical mistakes (over 250,000). Or heart problems (647,000). Or cancer (about 600,000).

But people are panicked over corona virus, because it is new.

So the comment, "it's just the flu" is that people accept that 30,000 to 50,000 die EVERY YEAR, in the US alone, from the flu, but we accept that, because that is how things are. BTW, that means around 100 - 150 PER DAY on average.

And influenza and emphysema are about number 8 on the cause of death in the US.
The flu has never overwhelmed the hospital system. What's happening in NY is a result of people calling bullshit on social distancing. The same thing is happening in New Orleans. Why do you assume it can't happen at Hopkins?

https://www.nytimes.com/video/nyregi...al-queens.html
__________________
NRA Life Member
MSI Executive Member
Greenbelt Gun Club
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 09:47 AM #63
Threeband's Avatar
Threeband Threeband is offline
The M1 Does My Talking
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 17,058
Threeband Threeband is offline
The M1 Does My Talking
Threeband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll County
Posts: 17,058
FEMA trailers have been brought in to handle the overflow of bodies, yes.

And we are a long way from this thing peaking, even further from it being over

Well, well. Th'event.
Threeband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 10:42 AM #64
JohnC JohnC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 44
JohnC JohnC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
You are missing the whole point.

The point is, MANY people die every year from the flu. Or car accidents (35,000 - 40,000). Or medical mistakes (over 250,000). Or heart problems (647,000). Or cancer (about 600,000).

But people are panicked over corona virus, because it is new.

So the comment, "it's just the flu" is that people accept that 30,000 to 50,000 die EVERY YEAR, in the US alone, from the flu, but we accept that, because that is how things are. BTW, that means around 100 - 150 PER DAY on average.

And influenza and emphysema are about number 8 on the cause of death in the US.
I think you are actually missing the point. The health care system in the US isn't overwhelmed by the injuries or illnesses you listed there. We don't run out of three months of supplies in one week due to influenza.

However consider these things which are happening right now in many parts of the world:

Thousands of cases that will not end up in death, but they are in the ICU for 2 weeks

Elective surgeries, cancer treatments, emergency treatment that cannot happen because hospitals are overwhelmed

Doctors, nurses and health care professionals get knocked out of service due to infection. Which strains the already overburdened system.

I don't think many people realize what unchecked novel viruses can do to a population. We're exponentially increasing the amount of deaths due to SARS Cov2 in the united states at the moment. March 21st there were 300 deaths. Today there are over 1,000. We expect that deaths will double every few days until this slows down.

Based purely on math, which of course is highly speculative, the united states is on a trajectory to have north of 200,000 deaths with 10-20x as many people as that requiring hospitalization and intensive care. We simply do not have the infrastructure for that. This is if we do absolutely nothing. I don't want to see my parents, coworkers or anyone die for something we could avoid by being a little more careful. It's not panic, it's civic duty.

This is why we practice social distancing, why we work from home and why we avoid exposure.

Editing to put this in here. I want to be wrong about this, I hope in a month or two that the people I've talked to can throw it right back in my face and say "Ha I told you so!" That would mean that the preparedness we all took worked incredibly well.

Last edited by JohnC; March 26th, 2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: another point
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 11:59 AM #65
Jake4U's Avatar
Jake4U Jake4U is online now
Wish I lived in America
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 349
Jake4U Jake4U is online now
Wish I lived in America
Jake4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I think you are actually missing the point. The health care system in the US isn't overwhelmed by the injuries or illnesses you listed there. We don't run out of three months of supplies in one week due to influenza.
What he said.

Watch the video out of NYC. Poke around the web and look what's happening in New Orleans. All of this is because a critical mass of buttheads said, "I don't need no social distancing 'cause it's just a flu."

South Korea has pretty much frozen their numbers because they stayed home for awhile. The Chinese say they have, but we know they are full of crap. Because people treated this like no big deal it's going to become a really big deal and likely there's no way to slow down this exponential growth until a whole lot more people die and THEN the buttheads will take it seriously.
__________________
NRA Life Member
MSI Executive Member
Greenbelt Gun Club
Maryland Wear and Carry
Utah and PA non-resident CCW
Jake4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:04 PM #66
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake4U View Post
What he said.

Watch the video out of NYC. Poke around the web and look what's happening in New Orleans. All of this is because a critical mass of buttheads said, "I don't need no social distancing 'cause it's just a flu."

South Korea has pretty much frozen their numbers because they stayed home for awhile. The Chinese say they have, but we know they are full of crap. Because people treated this like no big deal it's going to become a really big deal and likely there's no way to slow down this exponential growth until a whole lot more people die and THEN the buttheads will take it seriously.
Exactly. And car accidents stay flat in death rate. This is going up. Doubling every 3 days. NYC in just the last couple have started to flatten their curve. Which doesnít mean the death rate is dropping. It just isnít climbing as fast. They are doubling about every 4 days now.

That means the 200 people who died in the US yesterday from it, which is >70,000 in a year BTW at that rate (a lot more than auto accidents) will be 400 a day in about 3-4 days. Thatís 140,000 a year.

In a week from today thatíll be about 800-1000 a day. Thatís more than alcohol, car accidents, murders and cancer put together. Note than medical mistakes even.

2 weeks from now itíll be about 5000 per day. 3 weeks from today we hit about 20,000 a day.

We reach COVID-19 killing more people per day in the US than all causes of death in roughly 15-20 days depending on if the death rate flattens or not.

Exponential math is a B and I think something a lot of people donít understand. Also your odds of getting infected donít match how many are diagnosed. Right now many people are not getting tested or even if they do, there is more than a week lag time between them being infectious and being diagnosed in most cases (or longer if they are not being diagnosed until they show up in a hospital).

At its rate of expansion your odds of contracting it double every 3 days. That also doesnít take long to go from ďremoteĒ to ďnear certaintyĒ if you are not isolating yourself and taking lots of precautions.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:08 PM #67
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake4U View Post
What he said.

Watch the video out of NYC. Poke around the web and look what's happening in New Orleans. All of this is because a critical mass of buttheads said, "I don't need no social distancing 'cause it's just a flu."

South Korea has pretty much frozen their numbers because they stayed home for awhile. The Chinese say they have, but we know they are full of crap. Because people treated this like no big deal it's going to become a really big deal and likely there's no way to slow down this exponential growth until a whole lot more people die and THEN the buttheads will take it seriously.
To add between the guys I see laughing at it in here, Facebook friends and even family members who arenít taking it seriously (ďa lot of people die from the flu and we arenít shutting the country down for thatĒ) itís going to have to get a lot worse before enough people take it seriously to really slow it down. Which is going to get a lot more people killed.

BTW in less than 2 weeks we will likely have more people dead from this than from this years seasonal flu. 2 weeks later more people dead from this than the last 20 years of flu seasons.

Assuming we donít flatten the curve.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 01:15 PM #68
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
lazarus lazarus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Hmm, about 35,000 people die each year in car crashes in the US.

So far, a whopping 1,046 people have died in the US from COVID 19.

So you are wrong. Even if we take that COVID 19 has only been around in the US for 1 month, that works out to about 24,000 deaths per year, IF the rate does not flatten. Which it HAS in China.

You still have a greater chance of dying in a car crash.

And, BTW, FEMA is NOT filling trailers with COVID 19 bodies either.
To address specifically your post, you canít maths.

Of those >1000 dead it was more than 200 dead just yesterday. 160 the day before. And so on. Thatís >80,000 dead in a year based at yesterdayís rate. And itís doubling every 3 days. 90% of the people who have died from it in the US died in the last week.

In another week, >75% of the people who till have died from it are going to die next week. And so on.

This is an absolutely appropriate quote for this pandemic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JA1ffd5Ms
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 03:52 PM #69
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
To address specifically your post, you canít maths.

Of those >1000 dead it was more than 200 dead just yesterday. 160 the day before. And so on. Thatís >80,000 dead in a year based at yesterdayís rate. And itís doubling every 3 days. 90% of the people who have died from it in the US died in the last week.

In another week, >75% of the people who till have died from it are going to die next week. And so on.

This is an absolutely appropriate quote for this pandemic
And all diseases run their course. They peak and then tail off. You will not have 200 a day for a year.

But you do have about 650,000 heart disease deaths per year, and 599,000 cancer deaths per year.

Viruses typically, over the long term, mutate to be less virulent.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2020, 03:53 PM #70
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Pinecone Pinecone is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 21,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeband View Post
FEMA trailers have been brought in to handle the overflow of bodies, yes.
Wrong.

FEMA is NOT involved.

NYC brought in some refrigerated trailers handle the bodies. But that is local, not a national response.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers

Tags
you're all wrong


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service