• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Hi All,

Was thinking about hitting up Myrtle Grove tomorrow for some holiday range time but I remember reading somewhere that it will be closed during deer firearms hunting season (Can't remember where). I checked the hunting schedule for Region B (Charles County) and apparently the muzzleloader season starts up tomorrow (12/21/2019).

Can anyone confirm this/can I still go shoot at Myrtle Grove? Want to double check before packing all my boomsticks up tonight.

Thanks and much appreciated!

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I spent a couple hours at Myrtle Grove on Friday morning. It was a muddy mess. I cant understand the time and money that they spent, not to put a roof over the slab. It would not have taken
    much more to roof it, and drop some gravel down the center, to help with all the mud, and have a walkway to the targets. It looks like all the effort was put into sound/Noise reduction.

trkyhntr

Jan 9, 2020
    Myrtle grove

I have been in Southern MD for 12 years and never been to the range. How far can you shoot? I just recently started going to Flat Broke Shooters super nice place to go shoot

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I have been in Southern MD for 12 years and never been to the range. How far can you shoot? I just recently started going to Flat Broke Shooters super nice place to go shoot

100yds. Paper targets only. Bring clothes pins to attach targets, they provide pins but sometimes it runs low.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    I spent a couple hours at Myrtle Grove on Friday morning. It was a muddy mess. I cant understand the time and money that they spent, not to put a roof over the slab. It would not have taken
    much more to roof it, and drop some gravel down the center, to help with all the mud, and have a walkway to the targets. It looks like all the effort was put into sound/Noise reduction.
    Yep its muddy when its wet, and the slab is uncovered, but where else do we have to shoot?
    You got to remember, the State doesn't want the range there, the neighbors around the range have been raising hell about noise and safety for years and would be happy to see it closed. Their are ok with the land management area, but don't really want Bambi wackers their either. I know its primitive and could use some upgrades, but for now its all we got. If that closes...….where then does the public shoot?

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've been shooing at the groove for 25 years now and its a mudhole. I think its worse now than ever before. The sad part is I've been to Savage River Shooting range in Garrett County and it run and managed by DNR and it's way nicer! SRSR has covered benches and blue stone paths to walk out to the target stands. I don't understand why Myrtle Grove doesn't. But it is what it is.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I've been shooing at the groove for 25 years now and its a mudhole. I think its worse now than ever before. The sad part is I've been to Savage River Shooting range in Garrett County and it run and managed by DNR and it's way nicer! SRSR has covered benches and blue stone paths to walk out to the target stands. I don't understand why Myrtle Grove doesn't. But it is what it is.

If I'm not mistaken Savage is run by Forestry Dept.

Lousy Shot

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 4, 2020
    Maryland at the Bay
    You maybe correct but state run is state run. They've spent a ton of money at Myrtle Grove over the years a few hundred bucks on some stone would be well worth the cost.

I visited MG last week and saw no evidence anyone has spent much of anything on it. The gate was falling down, the range itself was a mudhole and you are right, gravel would have helped. :(

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I visited MG last week and saw no evidence anyone has spent much of anything on it. The gate was falling down, the range itself was a mudhole and you are right, gravel would have helped. :(

What you haven't seen is all the money spent replacing the baffles over the years they just added the dividers and new benches this go around. The berms were added about 10 years ago. So money has been spent and I'm sure a good deal of it IMO has been wasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom