• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BmoreBirds88

Mar 30, 2019
    Good morning folks & happy Easter!

Wanted to get some feedback from you guys about this. I’m lucky enough to have enough property & awesome neighbors so I set up a sweet backstop for target shooting. Shooting .22lr almost exclusively since it’s quiet & fun.

My question for y’all is: what time in the morning do you consider an acceptable “start time” for kicking off some target shooting?

To me it seems weekdays allow me to start earlier since home improvement/landscaping crews typically start work around 8 & tend to be louder than I am. On the flip side, on the weekend things are a little quieter around here until about 10a so I typically watch the clock tick until 10a before I start sniping paper targets.

I’m trying to be courteous to my neighbors regardless of legality even though the .22 isn’t even that loud. Does my “timeline” seem like a reasonable approach to you guys? Anyone think I could start earlier or later? Personal experiences & opinions welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Depends on day of the week from my standpoint. Weekdays and sat 8a. Sundays a little later. 9 or 10. Just my humble opinion.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Do any of your closest neighbors work shift work? I did, and I would not be happy with 8 am shooting, and I like guns. I would go with 9 am weekdays and 10 on weekends. There is no upside to PO'ing your neighbors

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    We kind of have a 9 am unwritten rule on weekends for power equipment. Some folks like to sleep in.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Great you have awesomecbeighbors and great you not taking advantage. Have you thought about asking them? I need neighbors like you.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Although if you ask the neighbors, I'd probably leave out the shooting bit unless you know them. Something like using power tools, hammers, etc.

Sage advice ... unless you KNOW them.

I’d probably go even a bit later than some have already suggested (there truly being “NO upside” to erring on the early side) and, ‘round our parts now, wouldn’t even consider a shot before 1pm on any Sunday (and, of course, absolutely NO shooting on Easter Sunday, etc.)

Congratulations and Best o’ Success! :party29:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’d say 8 during week/9 during weekend. Around here I’d have to go suppressed as my HOA would probably flip ;)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd start by seeing if there's any applicable county or local ordinances. Assuming you're clear there (and you don't own a suppressor than I'd say 0900 Mon-Sat, probably 11 on Sunday. I used to live somewhere that allowed power tools/ lawn care after 0700. I understood why people started that early but I hated it when I was coming off swing shifts or had a baby in the house.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How far are the neibor's houses. Can they even hear a 22 while inside their houses?
    Are you shooting subsonic?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    What do the neighbors do? When you hear power equipment in use, that's probably a good guide you can start shooting.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    The start time for Elk Neck State Rifle Range is 9AM...

I think that is fair to your neighbors, UNLESS they work NIGHT SHIFT...

I would talk to you immediate neighbors...

Usually most contractors start work before 9...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom