• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I bought factory rebuilt Walker's Alpha's on Ebay several years ago for 30 or 40 bucks, they work great. Use them for deer hunting... a squirrel sounds like a herd of deer. No need to pay big bucks IMHO.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have tried several different brands. The Howard Leight Impact Sport are by far my favorite. They just work. The automatic shut off saves the battery unlike other brands. My only complaint is the ear padding is a bit thin. The upside is better ear pads are available as a hygiene kit.

I’ve only use my Howard Leigh’s twice and the shut off is way better than my worn out Peltor’s, but the thin ear padding seems to let some sound through. Thanks for the hygiene kit tip.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    For those that double-up ear pro, is it counter productive to use the foam plugs with the electronic muffs? The point of the electronics is to hear the range commands, ducks, deer, etc...but when you stick foam plugs in doesn’t that kill your hearing those sounds you’ve just paid good money to amplify? I just got my 1st pair of S&W M&P electronics as a gift and haven’t used them yet. I’m wondering if I even want to.

I do this all the time, usually with a thinner width amplified muffs that are probably in the 20-25 db protection range (I rotate between a few brands). I always wear disposable ear plugs too. The amplified muffs are plenty effective in helping hearing through the plugs. I hope I'm not inadvertently damaging my ears by having them cranked up (usually midway), but haven't noticed any problem over the years (as my hearing has always been pretty good). My shooting diet includes 357 Mag from revolvers and 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308 from carbines and rifles (although prefer to shoot .308 outdoors).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Peltor here. Works well when shooting outdoors since we can still talk with each other at the bench but block noise when rifles fired
    I also use them in deer stand during bow season since they amplify sounds around you.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    I have had
    Peltor Pro Sports: Worked well for a couple of years then died.
    Howard Leights: Worked okay for a while then died, always had kinda poor sound quality.
    Pro Ears Gold: Best sound quality but so bulky I couldn't use them
    MSA Sordins with Gel Cups: Great Sound quality, best comfort and after 1.5 years of use they are still working perfect.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Some of the Peltors have an issue with corrosion around the battery terminal. That is the only issue that I have had with them. To prevent corrosion or to resurrect one that no longer works, spray the electronic components with Corrosion-X or ACF50 and you should have no problem. Mine was completely dead on both sides before I did that and now works like new.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I have had
    Peltor Pro Sports: Worked well for a couple of years then died.
    Howard Leights: Worked okay for a while then died, always had kinda poor sound quality.
    Pro Ears Gold: Best sound quality but so bulky I couldn't use them
    MSA Sordins with Gel Cups: Great Sound quality, best comfort and after 1.5 years of use they are still working perfect.

Several folks here have given the :thumbsup::thumbsup: to these. Any suggestions on where to actually see a pair in person before buying them? Thanks in advance.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Several folks here have given the :thumbsup::thumbsup: to these. Any suggestions on where to actually see a pair in person before buying them? Thanks in advance.

Buy them from Amazon and return them if you don't like them. I don't know anywhere local that has them, then again, I didn't really look. I will tell the packaging for a pricey item like the MSA was just a blister pack. Don't let that detract. They are awesome.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Buy them from Amazon and return them if you don't like them. I don't know anywhere local that has them, then again, I didn't really look. I will tell the packaging for a pricey item like the MSA was just a blister pack. Don't let that detract. They are awesome.

Many thanks. I see in their website that the NRR is only 18-19 dB. Do you folks find that adequate as a stand alone product, or do you find you also need foam ear plugs. I'm used to a claimed NRR of 33 dB from my ProEars, but as previously stated, they're too fat to use with a rifle or shotgun.

Here's a link to their Data

rocco

Mar 13, 2018
    They aren't emuffs but I picked up a pair of compact 34db muffs from amazon.I'll see how they do next week. I've had HLs and Walker's and no issue just needed something with more protection without having to double up with plugs.

cokebuck

Don't Re-Member
    Apr 1, 2016
    What do you all think about the MSA sordin? I have Howard leights, and I like them, but aren’t thrilled either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The MSA Sordin is excellent with the gel cups. Comfy all day wear and solid electronics. Price is ridiculous just like any other high end item.

Mikey

May 19, 2009
    Ridge MD
    Many thanks. I see in their website that the NRR is only 18-19 dB. Do you folks find that adequate as a stand alone product, or do you find you also need foam ear plugs. I'm used to a claimed NRR of 33 dB from my ProEars, but as previously stated, they're too fat to use with a rifle or shotgun.

In my experience they provide better protection than all the other muffs with the exception of the Pro Ears. There was a thread on the Benos forum where someone smarter than me was explaining why the ratings don't mean as much as we think.

That said if you want more protection you can always run foamies as well. I know several open shooters who do this with great success. They can still hear all the range commands yet there hearing is still protected.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

I also have Pro Ears. The MSA work fine. I used them indoors this week with plugs in. I didn't turn the sound one but I didn't do that with the Pro Ears either when indoors.
    I did use the MSA's for a day long boy scout range recently and was really happy with them. I find the Pro Ears too bulky.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Over the years, I've gone through many pairs of ears, some good, most sucked. The best ones I've used to date (and have been using for the past few years) are a pair of MSA Supreme Pro X's. They're very comfortable (gel pads), durable, and work well. MSA sells "hygiene kits" that replace the inner padding that gets gross over time. I've got ~3 years on my current pair and they're still going strong.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I bought factory rebuilt Walker's Alpha's on Ebay several years ago for 30 or 40 bucks, they work great. Use them for deer hunting... a squirrel sounds like a herd of deer. No need to pay big bucks IMHO.

I took my on sale at Amazon Howard Leights (R-01526) out deer hunting in Alabama two seasons ago. I could hear every armadillo within 50 yards. Not a single squirrel. I would have heard them too.

Then I heard a yearling buck come from behind me, walk under me in the tree, give me a clear shot that I didn't take, and then walk away because he needed time to get more meat on his bones.

I wore them for 5 days on that trip. Not bad for $28.61. I double them up with ear plugs when I shoot center fire rifles at the range.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Second the Howard Leights

I have tried several different brands. The Howard Leight Impact Sport are by far my favorite. They just work. The automatic shut off saves the battery unlike other brands. My only complaint is the ear padding is a bit thin. The upside is better ear pads are available as a hygiene kit.

These offer 26db reduction. At the range you can add earplugs for another like 10db reduction and crank the volume so you can chat, hear RSO instructions etc. When shooting, you get like 36db total noise reduction that is better than just about anything out there. They are also low profile that helps when shooting rifles. I like them so much I wear them hunting. You can hear a squirrel fart from 20 paces much less a deer sneaking thru the woods. I need to look into the hygiene kit because more padding would make these more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom