• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So I went a bought a Bergara B-14 Hunter is 30-06. The wife kept pushing me for what to get for Christmas and how can you go wrong with a new gun?

I got a NOE 183 grain 30 cal mold I am using in my 30-30 with 11bhn powder coated bullets water hardened when cast to about 14. I am happy with that, but I think I want to go lighter and flatter shooting with the 30-06. I found this page using the NOE 310-165-FN-H3 165 grain bullet and I already have H4198 and was thinking of give this a shot at 36 grains in the spring time.

GRT is calcing it at 2293 fps. Obliviously I think I might need to move the hardness up a bit. Ya'll think 16 or 18 BHN and quenched? I want to shoot it flatter and longer, so as hot as I can push it is better. BUT, It will be a hunting bullet, so as soft as the speed will allow it to be. I'll go with more grains to get flatter if it could handle it.

So I am looking for thoughts what anyone else has done and variations I should try.

Attachments

• 30-06 165 36 grains.jpg
      30-06 165 36 grains.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 78

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yes, that is a gas checked bullet. I am considering a ladder range to test in the spring and see what works. I am looking of advice on hardness mostly and loads other have done.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I agree with gas checks. I also find that they can mask deformations at the base for powder coated bullets which I have found affects accuracy.
    Do you have a link to the mold because I did not see a 183gr NOE 308 mold on their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom