• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Finally submitted the HQL Monday, and am looking at options for my first pistol purchase. I like the Sig Sauer 226 / 229 models, but for the price, I could get a matched pair of SA XDm. I am thinking 9mm will be more than sufficient for my needs (range plink/practice, home def, and maybe some competition later on).

I know this is a really wide open question and will get a variety of responses, but it should help to narrow down my research to a few specific models. Overall I would like some opinions on a good first pistol in the mid price range (5-6ish). Quality and long term reliability being a primary factor.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    My first pistol, bought in June, was a Sig P226. 2,000+ rounds through it so far and I haven't had one single problem. If I have to defend my family, I have no doubts it will work as intended.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    hit a range that rents handguns and try (shoot) a bunch of them and see what you like best. glocks are an excellent value and they just work - look at glock 17 or 19 which are the same gun just different sizes.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    hit a range that rents handguns and try (shoot) a bunch of them and see what you like best. ....

That's the plan, but wanted to go in looking for xyz rather than saying oh just give me whatever :) Considering the time people have been reporting to get the HQL in hand, I'll have plenty of time to try different models.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    hit a range that rents handguns and try (shoot) a bunch of them and see what you like best. glocks are an excellent value and they just work - look at glock 17 or 19 which are the same gun just different sizes.

^^THIS, always. Others opinions are nothing like YOUR hands-on experience.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    glock 17/19

other considerations are:
    springfield copies
    S&W copies
    FN copies
    Ruger american in 9mm (a large almost copy)
    HK VP9 (a fancy german copy)
    CZ 75 B or SP-01 (not a glock copy
    walther PPQ M2 (glock copy)
    sig P320 (glock copy) or the SP2022

i lean with glock because of the reliability and availability of parts/ magazines etc. you'd be best off firing a few to see which ones you like, and then determine how many magazines (id say 10 min) and other accessories you will want/need for that handgun, and look at what will work for you

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    That's the plan, but wanted to go in looking for xyz rather than saying oh just give me whatever :) Considering the time people have been reporting to get the HQL in hand, I'll have plenty of time to try different models.

I did this and it helped a lot. I tried one from each manufacturer and then tried a few from that chosen manufacturer. You have to decide what is important to you. Everyone is different. You have cost, size, caliber, intended use, etc...

I was sold on a Glock 19 when I started then after trying out at least a dozen or so I settled on a Sig Sauer P226. There are a ton of choices. Trying them all out is half the fun.

One mistake I made was in the effort of trying out a ton of guns I spent a ton of money. Renting isn't cheap. After purchasing I joined a range that offered free rentals to members. Should have joined first and I would have saved myself about $100 in rentals.

Of course, if money is no object immediately go to the Wilson Combat website. I think they make the finest pistols availabe.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    XDM 9mm is a fantastic firearm and it eats anything you feed it. Very reliable imho. Beretta 92 is always a solid choice but there are tons of choices out there. Try them all and see what fits/feels best to you.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Yeah, stick with the 9mm. It's cheap, easy to shoot well, and will get the job done. As for the pistol, get something from a major maker (Sig, Springfield, Glock, Sig, etc.) with lots of easily available parts and accessories.

That being said, if you like the Sig, get the Sig. It will not be your last gun, so might as well start with something you really like.

Aamdskeetshooter

Ultimate Member
    Dec 19, 2013
    Moco
    I'm not a Block fan. They just don't feel good in my hand. I'm dying to get a CZ. I have an HK P30L that i love. I would have bought a VP9 had they been out when I bought the P30L. Buy what feels good to you.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    CZ SP-01 meets all of your criteria.

I think I'd prefer the CZ P-01. It's a bit smaller, so easier to handle and carry of that becomes an option. I'm impressed with the torture tests NATO made it undergo, which it passed with flying colors. Admittedly, you only have 14 rounds instead of 18. It is to be hoped that that will never be an issue for the OP.

At any rate, I'm totally impressed with CZ ergonomics. The fit my hand like they were made for me personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom