• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I'm a smith and Wesson guy, all I own for pistols, but would like to get some thing for getting into competitions. I think I'd like to do 9mm but am open for suggestions. Prob. like it to have red dot capabilities.

Thanks TD

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I'm a smith and Wesson guy, all I own for pistols, but would like to get some thing for getting into competitions. I think I'd like to do 9mm but am open for suggestions. Prob. like it to have red dot capabilities.

Thanks TD
    Different competitions allow different types of guns. If you're looking for a self-defense focus, look at idpa, if you like the all-out run-&-gun games, check out USPSA. There are others as well. Do some googling, then check equipment rules. You may already have the gun you need.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    STI DVC

Attachments

• IMG_20160809_190829.jpg
      IMG_20160809_190829.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 310

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    well if you want to go all out, uspsa (and steel challenge) has an Open division where red dots and comps are legal. look up sti trubore or dvc open for some gun examples. these are too over the top for games like idpa though where the rules mostly limit to "carry" guns.

uspsa does have a carry optics division (basically a production gun with red dot) and i thought idpa added a red dot division but can't find it, but they do have nfc-not for competition where you could shoot it.

my suggestion is just to show up and start competing with what you have and get a lay of the land before going off and loading up on new guns and gear. trust me there is plenty of time for that, and you'll be much more informed with a few matches under your belt.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Not sure is that STI 2011 is legal for IDPA but oh my are they sweet guns.

yeah the DVC definitely isn't idpa legal, but their bushing barrelled 2011 (double stack) Eagle is. it's actually the perfect game gun as it's legal in pretty much everything.

Bigpops

Open Shooters Unite!!
    Sep 30, 2010
    SoMd.
    Reading the original post.....a S&W Pro (9mm) with a trigger job by Dan Burwell (Burwell Gunsmithing) is tough to beat. If you would like more info or would like to try one out just PM me.

Steve

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Once you factor in budget and desired equipment class for the sanctioning body, it will narrow the choices down substantially. For the popular, low cost production/SSP classes, the 5" M&P pro/CORE, and GLOCK 34 are probably the most popular. Both are sufficiently accurate, well balanced, with a decent sight radius and full sized frame. The triggers can benefit from internal work, grip tape can help keep it from shifting, and the sights can be improved, for the lower divisions, this is about all you can do. Both have tons of upgrade parts and accessories for them. The differences are small, the G34 has a little longer barrel and sight radius, the M&P a bit more natural grip, better mag release better ambi slide stop, and IMO the trigger can be a little lighter and faster for less money. The GLOCK has a better reset, more choices in aftermarket parts, and can be more reliable. Early M&P pro's had problems with reliability and accuracy, but new models are fine. Gen4 GLOCKs also have several useful improvements over the older models. Best advice if you are new to competition is one of these 2, and as you progress, modify it to suit your style, and to compete in higher divisions, then you will know what to modify or what new pistol to buy when you get there.

The next step are the limited/ESP and most 3gun pistols. STI, SVI and some custom CZ75s are probably the most popular, really good fast single stage triggers, great weight and balance, large magwells and controls, adjustable sights to tune for light competition loads, and mags capable of at least 20rds in 9mm. There are still several M&P pros and G34s that do well in these divisions, external changes are allowed, so custom triggers, magwells and extended controls are suggested to help run with the expensive 2011s. Extended baseplates are available for both, and are required with most magwells being factory magwells are too short to seat, 140mm Taran or springer precision basepads can run $40 on top of a mag, so they get expensive quick, but Magpul is now making inexpensive extended 21rd mags for the G34. This alone makes the M&P pro and G34 great pistols to grow with, they are affordable, common, and plenty of shooters have won matches against far more expensive pistols.

At the top are open class, pretty much the most expensive class chasing the fastest times, comps, full custom 2011 pistols, optics, very long 170mm doublestack mags, usually firing really hot 9mm major ammo. There are a few people that shoot near factory GLOCK MOS/S&W CORE pistols with red dots, or comps on threaded barrels or factory ported pistols, they are at a huge disadvantage without heavy modifications, those that just shoot for fun won't mind, but some might get frustrated, and make changes to run in another division.

I've been happy with my 5" M&P pro, it's been my primary competition pistol for about 8 years now. Started off in production/SSP, then made changes to make it more competitive when I got into 3 gun, but kept it legal for ESP and Limited divisions, so It's versatile. I am on my 3rd striker assembly and 2nd sear housing, earlier designs caused failures, but they seem to run well now. The early model barrel was terrible, and the sights hit several inches low out of the box, both have been corrected by me with aftermarket parts, and by S&W on revisions over the years. Internal work, Apex trigger, Springer precision mag release, SSS "ESP" magwell, Springer 140mm basepads(22rds), +0 SSS "ESP" basepads(for IDPA), Storm Lake fitted stainless barrel. Topped with Novak FO green front and adjustable rear sights.

Attachments

• 20161018_101109.jpg
      20161018_101109.jpg
      59.6 KB · Views: 205

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom