• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Over in the .357 sig thread, there was some talk about long range handgunning feats. I figured this thread could be a place to show off your talents hickok45 style. Post up some videos/pictures of trick shots at least 25 yds away. Post up your best 25 yd group off-hand. Post up your best 50 yd group. Post up your videos of lighting up soda cans from 100 yards away. Handguns have potential to reach out farther than most people use them. Let's see what you got.

I'll go first. I didn't really have anything up from too far away, so delmarva clays' steel will have to do until I can pop up to alucard's range for some fun. Hopefully what it lacks in distance and target size it makes up for in shooting faster.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Video will be pending.

Was going to post my quarter that was shot with a BHP running Wolf 115gr FMJ, but that was less than 25 yards (10 yards IIRC).

Fvck it, going to anyways. 3 shots to hit it, almost an hour to find it afterwards.

View attachment 103553

Last edited:

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I don't have any video. But I have knocked down a few 65 pound Rams at 200 yards during more then a few IHMSA match's with my 44 magnum.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    25 yards is NOT long range with a handgun.

Standard center fire bullseye is shot at 50 yards.

As mentioned, handgun metallic silhouette is shot out to 200 yards.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    25 yards is NOT long range with a handgun.

Standard center fire bullseye is shot at 50 yards.

As mentioned, handgun metallic silhouette is shot out to 200 yards.

Bullseye, Highpower & BPCR Silhouette Shooting is where you find out if your a Rock Star, Or just sweet sweet sally doing her act.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    No videos, but, I have shot IHMSA to 200 yards.
    We used to practice long shots by putting "clay pigeons" on the berm at 210 yards, and hitting them with .44 magnum (open sights!) and TC Contenders in 7mm TC/u (open sights).

I've posted groups at 100 and 200 yards, previously.

One of my favorite groups was at 100 yards in High Power Rifle (reduced course of fire) on an SR-1 target, Sitting Rapid Fire Stage, all shots were in the black with 7 of the 10 shots in the 10 ring. 5X.
    Colt R6601 was the rifle.

My reaction was -
    :shocked3::shocked:

Darned shame I couldn't keep the target.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I'd like to see the the videos--and also an explanation of gear/ammo/etc. involved. I have no doubt that handguns can reach out to 100 yards-- as I have done this myself with a Ruger P89 before I was told "better", lol. But I have never tried shooting at smaller than a man sized silhouette so the clays and coke cans at 100 yards interests me.

The long range shooting I can really see the high end pistols and revolvers doing well with, but if a generic striker fired pistol + WWB can do this as well, then you've really got my attention.

Gundahar

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I'd like to see the the videos--and also an explanation of gear/ammo/etc. involved. I have no doubt that handguns can reach out to 100 yards-- as I have done this myself with a Ruger P89 before I was told "better", lol. But I have never tried shooting at smaller than a man sized silhouette so the clays and coke cans at 100 yards interests me.

The long range shooting I can really see the high end pistols and revolvers doing well with, but if a generic striker fired pistol + WWB can do this as well, then you've really got my attention.

Gundahar

I was using a SW22A pistol for these shots. Drop was about 16 inches. But once youve got the holdover figured out.it was relatively easy. My FIL and DAD.. Both WW2 vets use to point shoot up to 50 yards with a standard issue 1911.

Most factory sights are zeroed at 25 yards....

Im really surprized that modt folks think that shooting clays at 100 yards or cole cans is impossible to do.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I was using a SW22A pistol for these shots. Drop was about 16 inches. But once youve got the holdover figured out.it was relatively easy. My FIL and DAD.. Both WW2 vets use to point shoot up to 50 yards with a standard issue 1911.

Most factory sights are zeroed at 25 yards....

Im really surprized that modt folks think that shooting clays at 100 yards or cole cans is impossible to do.

Go down to your local indoor range and see what the average guy is doing at 7 yards.... Here's a hint... At 100yds a coke can is nothing short of luck for them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I am a dinosauar and Luddite so don't got no stinkin' video nor have any clue as to how to post.

But just take a quick glance at even club level scores for IHSMA score of Revolver or production.

Heck NRA PPC scores for 50yd stages.

I can only partly give an opinion to the current devolved standard of average striker fired pistol , but a rack grade DA revolver would. Have little problem keeping hits on a coffee can at 100yds.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Last December, 100 yards 2 handed. 5.5" Redhawk. Dropped one shot a little low in lower left. Called flier.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 154

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If only there was 200 yard range close by and people open minded enough to let me shoot a pistol at that yardage. I'm in. :D

Any travel plans to the York metro area, :innocent0

Thing is with slower calibers the sights completely cover the target at 200, so shooting it upside down probably helps, although I would be a bit shakey with 1 hand, we have a steel ram around 20X30 at 200, about the same size as Miculek's target if it was sideways. I pick a spot above the target, about 3-4' with a magnum revolver or fast auto caliber, slower calibers work, but need to hold higher, my 45colt vaquero is very accurate, but drops like a rock, around 8-10' or so. At 100yds I can hold at the top of the steel pig about 1/2 the size of the ram and hit it, fast calibers only drop a couple inches, don't really need to holdover much at all.

My private 200yd club range, shoot what you want how you want, provided nobody leaves with more holes in them than they arrived with.

Attachments

• 20131031_114924.jpg
      20131031_114924.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 152

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads