• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ontario RAT model 1 border.jpg

RAT model 1 border.jpg

Basspro started carrying these things. I played around with one last time I worked and instantly liked the handle and blade geometry. At around $30, I figured I'd pick one up as a beat-around knife.

I'm pretty impressed after carrying and using it for the past couple days. It came with a great grind on the edge that was very uniform and actually pretty sharp. Once I blunted the factory edge a little making dinner and cutting up old boxes that needed to be thrown away, I put a nice 20 degree shaving edge on it. It's aus8, soooo not really a super-steel...but it takes a great edge quickly and holds it relatively well. The thing that really helps this thing is the full flat grind, it slices great with little resistance. It has no problem pushing through cheese, summer-sausage and other food-stuff. In contrast, my contego has a pretty thick blade with a relatively steep grind that doesn't pass through media well.

The action is smooth and helped along by bronze bushings that make the action both smooth and solid. There's not really any noticeable side-to-side play in the blade at any point in its travel. The liner lock is timed correctly and when the blade is locked, there is no movement in any direction. The liners inside the handle give the knife some weight, but give it a solid feel.

The pocked clip was originally in a tip-down configuration that I'm not wild about, but you can put it in any of 4 locations, so I opted to make it a right-hand tip-up knife like all my others. From there, it's easy to draw and use the thumb stud to flick it open in a hurry.

The handle is not very grippy. It has texture, but the texture is too shallow and small to really enhance the grip. It's no big thing though because the handle is shaped really well. There's a little choil area for your index finger to comfortably fall in to and some good jimping on the back of the blade for your thumb to find. Even when my hands were slimy with chicken goo in the kitchen, I never felt that I'd lose control of the handle.

Overall, the knife kicks ass for $30 and is a good value. It would be cool if it was made out of s30v or something with a wave on the blade. As it is, I'm happy with the purchase and will definately use this as a good cheap knife when I don't feel like using my other ones.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Okay, that's better.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Okay, that's better.

yeah, not sure what happened there. I attached the pictures and then wrote the blurb like normal. When I posted, the pictures weren't there anymore and I had to re-attach them.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Did the blade come striped like that? Mine doesn't have them.
    Nahh, I got bored and felt like tossing them on the blade. I want a zt303, but need to be financially responsible till the wedding is paid for....sooooo this is my nicotine-patch way of getting it out of the system for the time being.

IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0546.jpg

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I just got a RAT II on Friday and I am impressed. My vote goes for the RAT series for Best Knife Under $30.

AUS 8 is better than the "Chinese Mystery Steel" in many budget knives. It will sharpen up just fine and keep a decent edge.
    The flick open and bronze bushings are nice. I've had a few budget knives by other makers with plastic bushings and they needed to be really loose to open anywhere as nicely as the RAT. I had another budget knife with a flipper (CRKT M-16) that was never a sure open with the flipper. The RAT is so easy it almost feels like an assisted opening knife.
    Fit and finish is above par in a budget knife.
    Did I mention how nice the action is? Flick that bad boy open by the thumbstuds...almost as fast as my ZT350TSST.
    I'm going to buy a full size one as well.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    My experience with the Rat1 isn't quite as smooth when it comes to deployment. The detent is so strong that it's difficult to get it to open without wrist action.

I just got a RAT II on Friday and I am impressed. My vote goes for the RAT series for Best Knife Under $30.

AUS 8 is better than the "Chinese Mystery Steel" in many budget knives. It will sharpen up just fine and keep a decent edge.
    The flick open and bronze bushings are nice. I've had a few budget knives by other makers with plastic bushings and they needed to be really loose to open anywhere as nicely as the RAT. I had another budget knife with a flipper (CRKT M-16) that was never a sure open with the flipper. The RAT is so easy it almost feels like an assisted opening knife.
    Fit and finish is above par in a budget knife.
    Did I mention how nice the action is? Flick that bad boy open by the thumbstuds...almost as fast as my ZT350TSST.
    I'm going to buy a full size one as well.

Feb 6, 2012
    I've been carrying a RAT 1 for about a year now and I love it. It is a little thick, and you don't get a lot of blade for the weight/length ratio, but what you do get is a solid little tank of a liner lock with an incredibly smooth action and easily cleanable pillar construction (a very underrated feature in my opinion.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom