• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    For me it's for when the pantry is empty. You're assuming you'll always be able to replenish the pantry.
    For those who believe in SHTF, this could be all that's left in the end of their world, and also much easier to take with you if you are going to "bug out".

So that's what's up with survival food.
    If I had the money, I'd easily have 6 months to a year amount of Mountain House on hand.

Canned, packaged, and dried foods from the grocery store last for years. It's a matter of buying them beforehand. The pantry isn't any emptier when it's full of years worth of store-bought food than with "survival" food.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Canned, packaged, and dried foods from the grocery store last for years. It's a matter of buying them beforehand. The pantry isn't any emptier when it's full of years worth of store-bought food than with "survival" food.
    You crank open a can of beans 10 years old and I'll warm up some chicken and rice and then let's see who is in better spirits when starving.
    I get the whole pantry thing. I amassed one probably better than anyone here for 2 years. What I had took up a shit ton of room. I also had a month worth of mountain house to compliment it. There are things that don't last "for years" on the pantry.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    You crank open a can of beans 10 years old and I'll warm up some chicken and rice and then let's see who is in better spirits when starving.
    I get the whole pantry thing. I amassed one probably better than anyone here for 2 years. What I had took up a shit ton of room. I also had a month worth of mountain house to compliment it. There are things that don't last "for years" on the pantry.

You have a 10-year supply of survival food? You plan on needing it?

I'd have dried beans, rice, and pasta, etc., and have used canned food that's probably 5-7 years old. If the can is not bulging, dented, or rusted, most canned food lasts a long time. And as others have mentioned, you rotate your stock.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You have a 10-year supply of survival food? You plan on needing it?

I'd have dried beans, rice, and pasta, etc., and have used canned food that's probably 5-7 years old. If the can is not bulging, dented, or rusted, most canned food lasts a long time. And as others have mentioned, you rotate your stock.
    I'm not talking about "how to keep a pantry". I know all about that.

Freeze dried food has a minimum shelf life of 25 years.

How many guns do you have, just 1? Because that's good enough, right?

My investments are diversified, are yours?

But your food game isn't. You act like freeze dried has no place in a pantry.

Oooooooook.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    For me it's for when the pantry is empty. You're assuming you'll always be able to replenish the pantry.
    For those who believe in SHTF, this could be all that's left in the end of their world, and also much easier to take with you if you are going to "bug out".

So that's what's up with survival food.
    If I had the money, I'd easily have 6 months to a year amount of Mountain House on hand.
    ^^
    This exactly.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I prefer fresh. The canned stuff is bait for when you're having the neighbors for dinner.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I don't get "Survival" food. You have to stock Amazon size warehouse if you want to survive that long.

When it comes to Armageddon, surviving isn't about stocking anything. It is about getting into a group that knows where/how to get ammo (NG armories) and food (business warehouses).

Make sure you pick the group that will win the eventual battle between the groups.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Eat the perishables first, the frozen second, the canned goods next, the dried pasta and beans, then start working on the freeze dried. Of course supplementing as you go with edible wild foods and things you shoot, trap, snare, and catch.

Hopefully that will keep you going long enough to start and grow to harvest your sustainable crops and establish your post TEOTWAWKI trade or business for barter able skills or services to meet your other needs.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So, the wind out of your sails is when you can't go to Wegman's and restock up for the month. You're punching your ticket if you can't get to the bread line for a month?

No my pantry is deep, I can bug in for months with or without electricity. There’s no difference to me between opening my last can of tuna or heating up the last package of freeze dried tuna stroganoff. You either have food or you don’t. Our pantry is an overflow of what we usually eat plus some things are beefed up. We use what’s in the prepper pantry and resupply as required. Example: there’s a jar of peanut butter in our kitchen pantry and 6-8 more in the prepper pantry. When we run out of peanut butter in the kitchen we grab one from the other pantry. When we do that the second time I buy another twin pack at Costco and put it behind the other 6. So I’m always using and always buying but the time line between purchase and consumption is stretched out. If the big one hits this afternoon just about as prepared as if I had just gone to Costco. It’s a process and not an event. I’m not against freeze dried food, I just don’t see it as a part of my plan. Mobility and storage space is the only thing that makes it make sense to me.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    4 patriots is for real, tastes pretty decent too. I think the calorie per serving is misleading in alot of them, and theirs is pretty high. I have a few tubs of their stuff, plus i have their emergency bars too. pretty cool people.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ok, can we the public get REAL MREs?

Never tried them, when I was a kid, maybe 45 years ago tried some "C rats" a neighbor had, it wasn't gourmet, but if I HAD to eat them to survive I could.

Yes, you can buy them. Watch with the real ones that you get recent production, so they last longer.

Due to shelf life, I would eat these before the canned stock, after fresh and frozen.

There are three types:

MRE - these are the standard meals for troops in the field. One MRE per person per meal. But designed for young, VERY ACTIVE people. And a bunch of calories if you each 3 a day. 24 different meals. They change the meals every so many years. Comes in an A and B case, with 12 different meals in each.

MCW - Meal Cold Weather. Designed for cold weather, based on Mountain House freeze dried entrees. And aimed at higher calorie and more towards soup and hot drinks for the supplemental items. IRRC, 12 different meals in a case.

First Strike Ration - This is one is designed to feed one soldier for one day (3 meals) to be used for the first 3 days of combat. Nothing requires heating, and most are hand/finger foods. IIRC, there are 9 different menus per case.

I have some of each and have tried them.

They are not bad. I eat one every so often. I actually carry a First Strike Ration when traveling to places in the world where I will not be going out to eat dinner every night. One works for about 4 - 5 light evening meals for me.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    THE ULTIMATE SURVIVAL FOOD

90862E13-4600-495F-89AD-81B04F1238F2.jpeg

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A Scam ? Presuming they deliver what's paid for , nah .

And if you have readily access to the nutritional data , they're not hiding anything .

Doesn't mean it's your best option , tastes good . etc . And any anything that claims to provide an X day supply of whatever will use the most favorable interpretations in their advertising .

I did sort of say that it was more of a matter of buyer beware.

Their nutritional info is not readily accessible. No links on their site. I had to search to find them. Unlike ones like Wise and Mountain House.

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    My wife and I are in our seventies and keep a pretty well stocked pantry. Our kids are always giving us a hard time when they visit and say why? Well, when all of the pandemic craziness hit, we ate well for over three months and only went to the store for a few perishables like milk and eggs.

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    I don't get "Survival" food. You have to stock Amazon size warehouse if you want to survive that long.

When it comes to Armageddon, surviving isn't about stocking anything. It is about getting into a group that knows where/how to get ammo (NG armories) and food (business warehouses).

You may not survive long enough to eat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom