• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I am not understanding the astronomical cost of aftermarket G26 and G19 complete slides?? especially when compared to a AR15 complete Upper.

A typ "low tier" G19 complete slide (upper) is 350-450
    An AR 15 HBAR/Heavy 16" complete budget upper can be had for 250-275

There really is NOT that much to a G19 complete slide,, why so expensive?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Supply / demand
    The demand far outstrips typical spare part demands . That leaves $$ Custom Billit , and entrepreneurs parting out functional Glocks for profit . ( I.e. sell the various parts for cumulatively more than the complete gun . Just like used auto parts .)

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    So if a small manufacture is selling basic complete slides at $450 each, and quantity 100 a week,,, why make 200 a week and sell for $225

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    So if a small manufacture is selling basic complete slides at $450 each, and quantity 100 a week,,, why make 200 a week and sell for $225

Because they can make 200/week and sell them for $450.

There is no motivation for the manufacturer to lower their prices if their product is selling at a higher price. Why would they? That's kind of the point of business, to make money.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Yes it is,, I have no problem with it.
    But I personally would not spend that kind of money on a $50 slide paired with a $30 dollar barrel. But they DO have a steady stream of customers that for some reason place a PREMIUM value on buying A handgun under the radar.

Because they can make 200/week and sell them for $450.

There is no motivation for the manufacturer to lower their prices if their product is selling at a higher price. Why would they? That's kind of the point of business, to make money.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

Is this a serious question? You can't really think that any business would think its a good idea to do twice as much work for the same money?

But I personally would not spend that kind of money on a $50 slide paired with a $30 dollar barrel. But they DO have a steady stream of customers that for some reason place a PREMIUM value on buying A handgun under the radar.

50 dollars? Where do you think you are going to find a slide for that?

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I bought a G46 converted it to a P80 and sold the serialized frame to a gun store for $50. I got all the lower parts and a complete slide for $350. Just about broke even.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Is this a serious question? You can't really think that any business would think its a good idea to do twice as much work for the same money?

****New? You won't unless it is being sold out of the back of a shrimp truck in the worst part of Baltimore, on a rainy night, from guy with an odd accent and perhaps a lisp.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021

It wasn't a question, I was saying exactly what you just said.

Your not going to find a Glock clone slide for $50,, But you can get a much more complex AR upper for 50-75, or a lower for an AR lower for 50-100, point was the the current cost vs the material/machining value of a BASIC slide

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    3/4 seriously , here's your business opportunity ! Time to open your startup machine shop turning out stock configuration Gen 3 G19 and G17 slides .

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    3/4 seriously , here's your business opportunity ! Time to open your startup machine shop turning out stock configuration Gen 3 G19 and G17 slides .
    I'm wondering what the cost would be if I dropped of a slide to my machinist and asked him to make me a dozen ....

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

I'm not sure where you're getting your values from. I do know that CNC mills and broaching machines needed to make slides and barrels are expensive, as is the skilled labor to run them. I guess if a slide and a barrel are worth that little to you, then maybe you should try making one yourself.

Also, I am not sure why you think AR uppers are more complex than a Glock slide. They aren't. The biggest reason is that steel is a lot more difficult to machine than aluminum, and takes more time. Furthermore, the small cuts in a Glock slide (firing pin hole, extractor cut, cocking serrations, sight cuts) all require a tool change.

Last edited:

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Is it crazy for me to ask how an AR upper can be manufactured and sold for $50-100,, yet a simpler G19 slide is $200 +,, That is all I was wondering.
    It was a legit question,, I am holding both in my hands and seriously wondering why the slide is 2-3X the price of an AR upper,,
    Sorry for asking and taking your precious time.

But as for crazy,,
    Supporting companies that work to end our GOD given 2A rights, such as Netflix and Amazon,, Me pointing out that hypocrisy did ruffle more than a few feathers.

This is the guy who started a 'fake restaurant' thread.

OP, if you want to buy something, buy it. If you don't, don't.

But sell crazy someplace else.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    But they DO have a steady stream of customers that for some reason place a PREMIUM value on buying A handgun under the radar.

This.

Personally, not knowing what they're supposed to cost and only being familiar with ARs from the ground up, I just bought the slides I could find. Ended up dropping 400 per complete slide (with LPK). But that quote above made it worth it in my mind.

EDIT:
    51053024171_6626988a55_c.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom