• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Can you guys give me some ideas, or pictures of your range target stands? Not able to search via my tablet or phone, so even a link would help.

Since I either have to buy more expensive ammo to shoot my new 7.62x39 chambered rifle inside, or buy the cheap stuff and shoot at Elk Neck (which I've never been to, and have heard the stories), I obviously will need to make a target stand with a 52" target center point.

I was thinking of non glued pcv pipe as the base and lower 3' or so, with two 1" dowels or square wood sections inserted and extending up to the required height with targets stapled onto the wood....or maybe cardboard stapled to wood, and target stapled to that...

Am I on the right track?

In fact after looking on Amazon, I can make a quivck base with some square tubing, and a coupler pieces off angle, and my welder... Then just have yto buy wood as I shoot it up.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I built this one. The base is weighted with ballast and sealed. It breaks down into 2 parts for easy transport. Just buy 2 extremely cheap 8-foot 1x2" strips of wood at Lowe's or Home Depot and voila

33393033401_0b180e6ee0_c.jpg

33521868115_98c5b7f8cf_c.jpg

Here are the plans
    http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/how-to-build-a-pvc-target-stand/

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Rebar and aluminum tubing and I hang steel off of that. Two 5' lengths of rebar stuck into the ground, a 3' length of rebar that goes parallel to the ground, two aluminum tubings at a 90 degree angle to attach the three pieces of rebar. Hung 3/8" AR 500 and held up to 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54r.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    The wood stand is for my rimfire guns...I have the ar500 targets on hinges...The other stuff is mostly in place with wire or chain.
    1" shed. 40 pipe... pipe hangers and 3/8" threaded rod then firehose to the targets or rod right to the wood...old pics

Attachments

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      156 KB · Views: 707
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      141.6 KB · Views: 750
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      124.8 KB · Views: 741

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    This is almost exactly what I have. I also bring a couple of sandbags if it's going to be especially windy just to make sure.

Good call on the sandbags. That said, I'm impressed with how well this thing stands. Had a good test in the wind a few weeks ago and it didn't budge. Base is filled with old aquarium rocks, haha.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I went with an all PVC set-up. It was my first go at a stand and it worked okay, but not very easy to hang targets on. I also didn't weight the bottom at all, so It fell over multiple times. I plan to go to the PVC bottom and wood sides as posted above (thanks for the idea!), that way I can just staple my targets rather tan figure out how to hang them from PVC. That seems like a very simple and effective stand!

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I went all PVC. Easy to replace and very lightweight. 1 1/4 pipe. Will add photos tomorrow morning. Also, drill the bottom front and back tubes and take a few 6" landscape nails to the range with you. Push them down into the dirt and the stand will not move at all.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    For the PVC stands, you don't need sandbags. You can use landscaping staples. Put two on each side of the base and the wind isn't taking them anywhere. Much lighter.

But PVC can be replaced for next to nothing. If a round hits the base, just replace the bit that was damaged. Like Legos.

I went all PVC. Easy to replace and very lightweight. 1 1/4 pipe. Will add photos tomorrow morning. Also, drill the bottom front and back tubes and take a few 6" landscape nails to the range with you. Push them down into the dirt and the stand will not move at all.

I like this idea...although I'm thinking I'd still want wooden dowels, or small square pieces inserted into the PVC, maybe 2 feet off of the ground, to get the target to it's required height?

I attached my "blueprint" :lol2: Of how I was thinking of making it, using scrap steel from around the shop...the "all-thread" holding the 2 sides together would be very easily removed for an almost flat 2'x2' storage.

Last edited:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010

To add to this idea I saw pic bases at the AGC that someone assembled. They used threaded end caps so the landscaping nails could be stored inside of the base, when not used. There may be plans for this design on the AGC website. I have not looked for them yet.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I made an H beam out of 2x4's for the base. Two 2x4's in center making a channel the width of fir strips. Then I use fir strips to make whatever type target holder I want. I usually use a piece of foam poster board stapled onto H pattern uprights. If transport an issue, wing nut bottom of fir strips to collapse them.

I just drop the base on the ground and slide in the fir strips. I'm sure there is a dozen or more ways to do it above.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    I make mine from 1x1 and 1x2 box tube and drop sticks in them to staple the targets to.

HPIM0727.jpg

I make them so they stack for storage.

HPIM0727.jpg

This one is an "adjustable" one I built. I can make the target area 6 feet X 6 feet if I want and slide to more sticks in the bases so the wind won't blow it over, handy for long range play or anytime you might want multiple targets up.

IMAG0326.jpg

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Those look fantastic. They look like something one would buy retail. Very nice :thumbsup:

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Doing RSO work I've seen things that nobody would believe real people would bring as target stands.
    One young 'un brought his Grandmother's dining room chair and stapled his target to that. Another, when he found out he was obligated to furnish a target stand went out into the woods and brought back branches and sticks and fashioned a complete abomination.

There also have been works of art and engineering marvels, ingenuity is pretty severe sometimes.

Make your own, but make it easy, simple and safe.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    I shouldn't have ragged on someone else's target stand without posting a positive answer to the OP's question.

youtube is your friend and will show you a multitude of ways to accomplish your goal. Here is a unique space saver stand and it's pretty cool too:

This is the one I made years ago, it's very easy to make, economically feasible, safe and breaks down to be portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom