• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    FYI...
    If you get surplus mags for the Khar Tommies you need to modify the mags.
    The back locking hole needs to be enlarged and the the cut out at the top needs to be cut deeper so the bolt can strip the next round.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh I have been wanting one, if I remember correctly there is a company out there that takes the thompson, and tunes it up working out the reliability issues.

I really wish someone would make a 9mm clone (or at least something on cheaper ammo!)

BTW if you really want to be pimp and NFA one, take a look at the case below, I never thought I would want a $600 gun case but.........

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=286180617

By the way I thought the detachable buttstock made it an NFA item?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    To the OP..

I have a copy of Kahrs Retail Program, that has model numbers, and MSRP listed. Its from 2011 - but Kahr sent it to me this year. If you want a copy I can scan the Thompson page. Just as long as you know that the MSRP is listed higher then what you can get it for.

I think the detachable buttstock is NFA - if you physically cut the stock down "to make" it into a pistol style. Dont quote me on that. Thompson Center (different co from Thompson) actually won the lawsuit against the Federal Govt, over the Encore & Contender, since they can be converted into pistol readily. But there is probably stipulations on it. You can buy the quick detachable buttstock model in Maryland.

My Tommy actually ran pretty good out of the box. Kahr has made improvements in the later runs of them. They also recommend using ball style ammo (230 grain roundnose) for reliable feed. They also warn to not use steel cased ammo (like Wolf!) or you run the risk of breaking extracters. I run cast bullets out of mine- 230 grain lead round nose, and they shoot great.

The older Tommy did have some issues- Kahr bought the toolings off of former West Hurley/ Numrich parts, and inherted some of the issues.But they have made improvemnts to them. Pay attention to the cocking knob on top. The older models had a more square cocking knob, later productions (since 2005) have a rounded cocking knob.

I would never buy a Tommy in any other caliber but 45ACP - its just not the same. Load your own, and its pretty inexpensive to shoot. All the Kahr Thompsons are 45 ACP thankfully.

You can also order special edition Tommy's from America Remembers that are inlayed, and engraved like this :

American%20Eagle%20Left%20CU_small.jpg

American%20Eagle%20Right%20CU_small.jpg

There is even a Marine Corps Tribute edition:

USMC%20Thompson%20Right%20on%20background_small.jpg

USMC%20Thompson%20Left%20CU_small.jpg

USMC%20Thompson%20Right%20CU_small.jpg

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    FYI...
    If you get surplus mags for the Khar Tommies you need to modify the mags.
    The back locking hole needs to be enlarged and the the cut out at the top needs to be cut deeper so the bolt can strip the next round.

I actually have a few that still need to be modified. I was going to use a Dremal tool, unless you have another sugeestion.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have just used a round hand file.
    Have a good mag handy file a little bit then compare... File a little bit more and compare again...

It is a bitch to put metal back on... The dremmel make take too much to fast so use caution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom