Were "assault rifles" ever regulated sales in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Someone this morning told me that in the 90's, in the state of Maryland, there was a 7 day wait for ARs and the like.

I don't remember this at all.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Certain long guns that fit certain legislatively defined characteristics were treated as regulated firearms (handguns) and were subject to the same 7-day waiting period and background check.

How did that work out? Just another boondoggle like the fired casing law.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If you bought just before the ban, waits were over a month.

Until MDSP settled a lawsuit and allowed dealers to release after 7 days. Paperwork for regulated firearms was taking months. Can't recall when they settled, sometime around July 2013 I think, but after that (and before Oct 1) you could pick up regulated firearms after 7 days, even if paperwork was not complete. I think the dealer had to run the NICS check first though. I know I picked up after 7 days sometime in Sept.

I am sure that there is a thread here on that somewhere to dig up.

But generally, yes, until Oct 1 2013, "regulated" guns i.e. ARs AKs, etc were 7 day wait and 77r.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Until MDSP settled a lawsuit and allowed dealers to release after 7 days. Paperwork for regulated firearms was taking months. Can't recall when they settled, sometime around July 2013 I think, but after that (and before Oct 1) you could pick up regulated firearms after 7 days, even if paperwork was not complete. I think the dealer had to run the NICS check first though. I know I picked up after 7 days sometime in Sept.

I am sure that there is a thread here on that somewhere to dig up.

But generally, yes, until Oct 1 2013, "regulated" guns i.e. ARs AKs, etc were 7 day wait and 77r.

Two different FFL's I used then would transfer when MSP answered, not before.

I didn't like waiting, but didn't hold it against the FFL's. If an FFL released after the 7th day w/o notice from MSP, and then it came back not approved, what happens?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Two different FFL's I used then would transfer when MSP answered, not before.

I didn't like waiting, but didn't hold it against the FFL's. If an FFL released after the 7th day w/o notice from MSP, and then it came back not approved, what happens?
    MSP Problem.
    I actually know a person that this happened to. FFL called him and asked him to bring the firearm back. Had he not the FFL would have notified the SP. I don't think the checks and balances works real well if the the dealer makes an error. How would the MSP know?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    MSP Problem.
    I actually know a person that this happened to. FFL called him and asked him to bring the firearm back. Had he not the FFL would have notified the SP. I don't think the checks and balances works real well if the the dealer makes an error. How would the MSP know?

Sent from the 3rd Rock

How does one undo a transfer? If it is MSP's problem, why did the FFL even care?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    An anecdote that demonstrates Bolshie "logic" in practice:

A friend used to live in an apartment complex in Montgomery County for many years. Since the joint opened in the '60s, they had a place with a hose where residents were able to wash their cars. All was well for decades until the management changed and began permitting illegals to occupy small apartments with large numbers of illegals (as opposed to having ICE remove them). Of course, the illegals came or brought lotsa kids, who apparently tended to regularly congregate/play at the car washing area. For whatever reason, the kids would regularly turn on the hose, drop it next to the building and leave it there—running full-force, which resulted in numerous floods in the bottom floor of the building that fed it. So the new management "had to do something" about the floods. They prohibited (legal) residents' from washing their cars.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Prior to some time in 1994, they were not regulated. It was just a 4473. I know because I lived it.

Damn young bucks don't know anything.

I know of loads of now banned rifles that aren't registered and......wait for it......they are 100% legal. Some of us were buying pretty schweet stuff back when Maryland was a free state. Sometimes, age has its advantages!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    How does one undo a transfer? If it is MSP's problem, why did the FFL even care?

Giving the gun back nicely to the FFL is probably a good idea. Otherwise MSP comes to your house at 5am and confiscates it at gunpoint, and charges you with a felony. FFL is doing everyone a solid here. Maybe they can make another sale that keeps you out of jail and that wont result in a 5am raid. Oh and in some cases FFLs charged a "restock" fee for a Disapproved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom