What's a person to do where you can't carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Intercooler

Jun 10, 2012
    Just go with a knife and hope? I sometimes venture in locations that are remote and/or off the beaten path where you don't know who might cross your path.

What the best legal setup to use out and about? Does anyone take their chances and just carry anyway?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Pepper Spray,Baton etc......

I’ll second this. Some jurisdictions might restrict “chemical weapons” such as pepper or OC spray, but a good collapsible baton strike to even the largest adversary should be enough to thwart off an attack. Now if you’re talking about an 800 lb. black bear, a baton would probably be ineffective against that sort of attack. If bears are your concern, even a caliber as large as 45 ACP might not work all that well.

If you’re really that remote, open carrying a handgun should not be much of an issue due to the lack of police presence. Game wardens or DNR Police would probably not have an issue either. They don’t want to deal with yet another death by bear... LOL

Fnh57

Sep 30, 2017
    Baltimore area.
    Batan and OC. Knife would be good. Let me recommend something I don't see others talk much about. Get some self defence experience so you are better fighting in close quarters AND on the ground as most fights transition to the ground. Grappling skills and weapon retention skills are really important. Also a good taser is a great option.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Some places would consider a collapsible baton a weapon, so you might as well go for the pistol.

If you're really going into bear country, I'd suggest a 12 ga with slugs.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    This is what (one of the things) that drive me crazy about these laws. If you have a carry license then you should be allowed to carry EVERYWHERE. It make no sense that you are out running errands and then have to pick up your kids, or you have to pick up your mail at the post office, or stop by church to make a confession and have to store your pistol to go inside those places.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I may have carried in places I should not, it was for business and involved a substantial $$$$ but that was long ago. Now days don't go, say to North Ave & Greenmount. In fact, I seldom set foot in Balt.

Elsewhere I takes my chances. I always carry a blade,but would not want to have to rely on it. Most day to day activity I limit where I go and always keep my bearings.

Don't sweat it to much, reminds me of a movie quote. "Everybody want to go to heaven, nobody want to die". I'll admit faith has a bearing on me too today that it didn't in my youth. YMMV.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Carry in your glovebox. If stopped show them your DC letter. Better than to be carried by six.

That is horribly bad advice.

The DC letter has NOTHING to do with transport. It does not make you a Bona Fide collector.

What you are recommending is absolutely the antithesis of the bona fide collector provision. You are not acting in "Good Faith." You are obviously acting in bad faith. You are obviously not a "Genuine Collector" going to a genuine exhibit. You are a Scofflaw obviously trying to game the system.

You are recommending obviously illegal activity, bound to get anyone foolish enough to follow your advice thrown in jail and left a Prohibited Person for life. Pretty damn clever.

Furthermore, another peeve of mine: Why does ANYONE carry in the glove compartment? I can't think of a worse place to carry a gun, even where it's legal. Poor access by the driver, easy access for untrained passengers, first place a thief looks, likely to cause a bad reaction from the cop who wants to see your registration. Also poorly secured, sliding around with a bunch of random crap getting tangled in the trigger guard, etc.

Secure a proper holster under the seat, next to the seat, in the console, or whatever. Tossing a gun casually in the glove compartment is lazy and dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom