• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So despite knowing better. I'm trying out carrying my 4" K frame this weekend. Just around the house doing li'l piddly stuff.

How the fvck did you guys do this day in/out? The damn thing juts out, weighs down my hip, I feel it with every step and it smacks everything then me when I sit down.

I've tried leather and my standard riggers style belt which works daily to support a G17 and spare magazine so belt strength/tension isn't the issue.

What is I doing wrong?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    No experience obviously, but it sounds like complainimg about why a 75 Chevy sedan rides rougher and is slower than a 2016 Chevy SS. ;)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    You wouldn't notice it as much with an actual duty belt that was taller (2.5" plus) and the right holster. When properly secured, a traditional, thick leather, Sam Browne belt keeps them from rocking around so much. Safariland makes or at least made a decent holster for them as well. Depending on your build hip wise, another trick is to wear the belt/pants a bit higher on the body so the holster rests against your hip at the wide point instead of hanging loose.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Carrying my sp101 is not fun and it puts a bulge in my belt line that would make Ron Jeremy blush.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011

Attachments

• 20170423_153604.jpg
      20170423_153604.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 854

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The full size 2.25" gunbelt weighs pretty much equally on both sides, so you really don't notice it except for the extra weight. Especially once you have keepers snapping it on to the inner belt. When it really becomes noticeable is when you try to run with it on or sit in a smaller car.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    part of it is the holster you are using. a desantis pancake sytle holster would be much more secure with much less wobble.

A 4" "K" frame with combat style pachmayers was easy.

Try a 4" "L" or "N" frame, and you'll go through dress belts pretty quickly, never mind leqning to one side and walking like quasimoto.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Its a S&W six fo' in an OWB S&W marked holster.
    Not a pancake style holster, has a single loop to secure it to the belt.

I never use a holster that has a single belt loop. You likely also need to shift the holster slightly further back, probably between the second and third belt loop on your pants. That will allow the butt of the pistol to more closely lay against your body at a slight angle.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I never use a holster that has a single belt loop. You likely also need to shift the holster slightly further back, probably between the second and third belt loop on your pants. That will allow the butt of the pistol to more closely lay against your body at a slight angle.

This holster and gun combo is range/competition/training only. My Glock is still in arms reach as we type/read.

The main goal of this holster is so the gun doesn't hit the ground. Thats it. Not a defensive gun. The holster is rolling around the 3:30 tucked up tight to the 2nd belt loop. Slightly interferes with reaching my wallet.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Firstly, that holster's belt loop is sized for 2.25in , and your belts are probably 1.5in, or at most 1.75in.

Sometimes a mismatched slot size will still work reasonably well, but the rake, ride height, and resultant center of gravity become critical. An historically correct rendition of a Tom Threepersons or a Lawrence #120 would ride just enough lower to be self stabilizing. While I generally like the old S&W branded holsters, a few of their designs were subtlety off in the details. That particular holster rides just high enough to have a nuetral balence to slightly top heavy.

Try duty belt with the revolver, couple speedloaders, couple pairs of handcuffs, a brick sized radio, maybe a fiberglass baton. Compared to that, merely a holstered revolver is like walking on air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom