• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    A buddy of mine has acquired an early model 58 (1964-'65) and we have been planning on getting it out to the range for a few months. Yesterday, the weather was cooperative and we managed to get out for a couple of hours.

We had a various assortment of ammo. Some of the ammo was mid 1960's Remington 210 grain lead, the rest of it was modern loads, also 210 grain.

I didn't know what to expect with .41 Magnum. I had spent a lot of time shooting .44 Magnum, but this was the first time out with .41.

The vintage ammo was stout. I certainly experienced the recoil the old articles and books described. I can see where the round was not terribly popular as a police round shortly after it was introduced. I got slapped in the webbing of my hand a couple of times, but it wasn't awful. Once I got the feel of it, it was a joy to shoot both single and double action. I think it would be a heck of a gun with some slightly larger stocks, like targets, instead of the magnas.

The modern ammo seemed watered down and did not have the punch of the older stuff. The 58 was still a joy to shoot, but when I shoot vintage, I like using the same loads from "back in the day". It adds to the experience for me.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the 58 and look forward to my pal bringing it out again.

Here it is, next to my 1984 586.

23559372_10159524918725585_699802890788231480_n.jpg

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    .41 Magnum was the cartridge that motivated me to start reloading. I had an 8 3/8" Model 57 that I shot for several years in IMHSA Big Bore matches before to switching to a Model 29 Silhouette.

The fact that there isn't a significant difference between the recoil/muzzle blast of a .41 and a .44 Magnum is probably one of the main reasons .41 never caught-on with law enforcement, dooming it to relative obscurity in spite of being a GREAT caliber for hunting and competitive shooting.

That Model 58 looks like a beaut! :thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    .41 Magnum was the cartridge that motivated me to start reloading. I had an 8 3/8" Model 57 that I shot for several years in IMHSA Big Bore matches before to switching to a Model 29 Silhouette.

The fact that there isn't a significant difference between the recoil/muzzle blast of a .41 and a .44 Magnum is probably one of the main reasons .41 never caught-on with law enforcement, dooming it to relative obscurity in spite of being a GREAT caliber for hunting and competitive shooting.

That Model 58 looks like a beaut! :thumbsup:

Indeed sir! Had they produced the sufficiently tamed down police round that was originally envisioned, rather than what was more like a hot and hotter offering, this cartridge may have fared a bit better in popularity, at least until the dawn of the semi era. But that said, the .41 is an outstanding cartridge, and one I absolutely love to load for and shoot.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Indeed sir! Had they produced the sufficiently tamed down police round that was originally envisioned, rather than what was more like a hot and hotter offering, this cartridge may have fared a bit better in popularity, at least until the dawn of the semi era. But that said, the .41 is an outstanding cartridge, and one I absolutely love to load for and shoot.

.41 Magnum enjoyed some popularity with the IHMSA crowd because of its flatter trajectory than .44 and its retained energy downrange that almost equaled .44 at 200 yards. I adored the Model 57. It was a beautifully made N Frame that could handle hot-as-hell match loads all day long without a problem. I liked it so much I also bought a 6" Model 57 in 1982 and shot a six-point buck with it the first season WV legalized handgun hunting with .357 or larger calibers.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Beautiful 586. I love nickel-plated guns.

Can they nickel plate stainless guns, I wonder? I know they can hard chrome stainless, and some day I hope they'll come up with a hard chrome bluing. I have some knives with gorgeous blue/black finishes. And black finishes today are wearing much better than they did 3-5 years ago. I can't afford a Colt Python, but I can afford an SOG Agency, which has that same rich blue. Still can't bring myself to use it, but I look at it a lot.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    A buddy of mine has acquired an early model 58 (1964-'65) and we have been planning on getting it out to the range for a few months. Yesterday, the weather was cooperative and we managed to get out for a couple of hours.

We had a various assortment of ammo. Some of the ammo was mid 1960's Remington 210 grain lead, the rest of it was modern loads, also 210 grain.

I didn't know what to expect with .41 Magnum. I had spent a lot of time shooting .44 Magnum, but this was the first time out with .41.

The vintage ammo was stout. I certainly experienced the recoil the old articles and books described. I can see where the round was not terribly popular as a police round shortly after it was introduced. I got slapped in the webbing of my hand a couple of times, but it wasn't awful. Once I got the feel of it, it was a joy to shoot both single and double action. I think it would be a heck of a gun with some slightly larger stocks, like targets, instead of the magnas.

The modern ammo seemed watered down and did not have the punch of the older stuff. The 58 was still a joy to shoot, but when I shoot vintage, I like using the same loads from "back in the day". It adds to the experience for me.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the 58 and look forward to my pal bringing it out again.

Here it is, next to my 1984 586.

23559372_10159524918725585_699802890788231480_n.jpg

That 586 is a sexy ass beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads