• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I cant wait to shoot this thing and Its going to be raining this Saturday..since I am using corrosive ammo. that may be a good thing. or I can go to Cresap on Sunday instead. I have other stuff to try out. A FN PS90, A mossy 590 pump and another suppressed AR that I built from parts with a gas piston retrofit for the upper.

Rain, rain go away, come again another, my little friends want to play.

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    My only concern with this rifle is that lefties need to look at the stock. Right-handed shooters get a nice cheek weld with that curved stock, lefties get a wooden blade to the jaw.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    You are absolutely right. This rifle if lefty unfriendly. The PSO / TIP2 scope also sits offset a bit to the left. This is really awkward to handle if you are a lefty.:sad20:

My only concern with this rifle is that lefties need to look at the stock. Right-handed shooters get a nice cheek weld with that curved stock, lefties get a wooden blade to the jaw.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    having trouble getting this PSL scope sighted in. i get it close at 25 yards and then at 100 it's impacting WAY to the left. what's going on? could it have something to do with the scope being offset (not top dead center above the barrel, but about 3/4" left)?

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    that sounds like thats definetly what it is,i wrap paper around a broomstick and put it in my rings and adjust them to be parallel with my barrel,it can deviate vertically a little bit if its set up for a moa slope i guess butnever horizontal, i try to get mine like perfectly even with the barrel then i take the top of the rings off and i put the scope in and use a bullet level on the top knob on the top and then something flat on the gun while its in a vice or on a bipod. I would consider myself an amateur but this is what I do and it works, i think i read it from one of E shells posts and just tried it and its great

Last edited:

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    I think i read to use a 1 inch dowel rod (whatever your tube diameter is) but one long enough for this I dont really keep around the house

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    make sure you have it mounted in the correct place on the slide. I thought mine was but it was moving slightly after a few shots. Tighten it down securely to make sure it isn't a wandering issue first.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I havent shot my PSL yet, still trying to figure out the scope. to mount the TIP2 , slide the scope from the rear to the front until it stops. Then tighten the lever. is that the correct way to mount it?

Also, The two screws on the turret once loosened should allow me to make elevation and windage adjustments just like a regular scope. I have noticed that the whole reticle moves up/down- left/ right with these adjustment instead of staying in the middle.

I have also laser boresighted the irons and the scope. scope was boresighted at 50 yards.

Once i have this thing zeroed at 100 yards, the turrets should be set at zero, right?
    Upon using the rangefinder and figuring out range, I should adjust the elevation turret to correspond to range and there should be no holdover.

I am new to russian optics, any advice would be appreciated.

thanks guys

SCAR

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Hole punch,

That makes sense. using an off center mounted scope zeroed at 25 yards will in theory shoot to the left at 100 yards. This is like height over bore but sideways:rolleyes:

I had the same issue with my Dad's Garand sniper. the only way to zero it was at an actual 100 yard range and a spotting scope. i think, 25 yard battlesight zeroes do not work well with offset scope mounts.

Maybe when zeroing the scope at 25 yards, your point of impact should be 3/4" to the right of the aiming chevrons. ( Just an idea. Im going to try this out when i get to the range)

having trouble getting this PSL scope sighted in. i get it close at 25 yards and then at 100 it's impacting WAY to the left. what's going on? could it have something to do with the scope being offset (not top dead center above the barrel, but about 3/4" left)?

UPDATED: PLEASE SEE ILLUSTRATION ON PAGE 6. Better way of using the TIP2 SCOPE

Attachments

• ZEROPSL.jpg
      ZEROPSL.jpg
      17 KB · Views: 423
    Last edited:

LowRecoil

Federalist
    Mar 18, 2007
    Harford
    look at how the scope locks in place. When you turn the slide handle to lock it, it actually engages in set areas. Make sure you look at it and figure out where those best areas are to stop as you slide it in. I also had to adjust the tightness on mine so that it would lock tighter. It took some time just to correct all of those issues. Then, I moved onto the scope issues with the two screws and adjustments. I have a laser boresighter and used that originally for 50 yards but havent shot it since to take it out to longer range targets. It's not as easy as a normal system to sight in as you now know. Plus, as someone said, the barrel gets hot easily (hot to even touch) so space those shots out. It takes time to get it where you want it but it guess it is to be expected from an older style rifle.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    make sure you have it mounted in the correct place on the slide. I thought mine was but it was moving slightly after a few shots. Tighten it down securely to make sure it isn't a wandering issue first.
    look at how the scope locks in place. When you turn the slide handle to lock it, it actually engages in set areas. Make sure you look at it and figure out where those best areas are to stop as you slide it in. I also had to adjust the tightness on mine so that it would lock tighter. It took some time just to correct all of those issues. Then, I moved onto the scope issues with the two screws and adjustments. I have a laser boresighter and used that originally for 50 yards but havent shot it since to take it out to longer range targets. It's not as easy as a normal system to sight in as you now know. Plus, as someone said, the barrel gets hot easily (hot to even touch) so space those shots out. It takes time to get it where you want it but it guess it is to be expected from an older style rifle.

Agreed. You can actually push the scope on down further than it's supposed to go I beleive. There's a slot in the middle where the cam lever thingy goes into and locks the scope in place and it's set more than 1/8 inch reward of the furthest point you can push the scope to. I'm pretty sure the scope has to be centered on this slot to be properly mounted.

As for tightness of the camming lever thingy, mines a bitch to get off as it is. Need tools to unlock it, so I have a feeling mines just fine like it is. I guess I'll find out if the recoil causes it to start walking down the scope rail hehe.

I havent shot my PSL yet, still trying to figure out the scope. to mount the TIP2 , slide the scope from the rear to the front until it stops. Then tighten the lever. is that the correct way to mount it?

Also, The two screws on the turret once loosened should allow me to make elevation and windage adjustments just like a regular scope. I have noticed that the whole reticle moves up/down- left/ right with these adjustment instead of staying in the middle.

I have also laser boresighted the irons and the scope. scope was boresighted at 50 yards.

Once i have this thing zeroed at 100 yards, the turrets should be set at zero, right?
    Upon using the rangefinder and figuring out range, I should adjust the elevation turret to correspond to range and there should be no holdover.

I am new to russian optics, any advice would be appreciated.

thanks guys

SCAR

That sounds right about centereing the turrents to zero. I was thinking the same thing. I still need to pick up a new set of precision screwdrivers since I broke all of mine over th years using them for jobs they weren't intended for (Oh but, boy do they sure make nice picks and pin punches, etc lol)

Hole punch,

That makes sense. using an off center mounted scope zeroed at 25 yards will in theory shoot to the left at 100 yards. This is like height over bore but sideways:rolleyes:

I had the same issue with my Dad's Garand sniper. the only way to zero it was at an actual 100 yard range and a spotting scope. i think, 25 yard battlesight zeroes do work well with offset scope mounts.

Maybe when zeroing the scope at 25 yards, your point of impact should be 3/4" to the right of the aiming chevrons. ( Just an idea. Im going to try this out when i get to the range)

awesome drawing, SCAR! Thanks for taking the time to put that together. For some reason I was reluctant to beleive it was the offset scope because I was hinking it would cause impact to the RIGHT, but now that I see youre diagram it makes perfect sense.

Phew, for a few weeks there I was really discouraged from trying to sight this puppy in. It's just that scopes are still so new to me. Now I think I'm ready to do the deed. :thumbsup: Thanks guys. Hopefully I will have pictures of targets to post up before long ;)

FCobra94

Mar 28, 2009
    Nice looking rifle man!

I'm interested in picking one up myself and while doing reasearch, I stumbled upon this site and noticed that most of you guys actually live right in my back yard! :)

Anyway, would you buy from J&G again? I noticed that ClassicArms and AimSurplus have similar prices on their PSL variants but I'm not really sure who imported/assembled those versions...

Thanks and good luck at the range!

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What's up with all the youtube videos of PSL owners rapid firing this type of weapon? Rapid firing a 7.62x54R while looking thru a scope, It looks idiotic.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Nice looking rifle man!

I'm interested in picking one up myself and while doing reasearch, I stumbled upon this site and noticed that most of you guys actually live right in my back yard! :)

Anyway, would you buy from J&G again? I noticed that ClassicArms and AimSurplus have similar prices on their PSL variants but I'm not really sure who imported/assembled those versions...

Thanks and good luck at the range!

I think they're all complete finished rifles coming out of Cugir, Romania these days, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And welcome to the where all the fun is! I found MDShooters while googling for info trying to wrap my head around MD gun laws. What county you located in?

What's up with all the youtube videos of PSL owners rapid firing this type of weapon? Rapid firing a 7.62x54R while looking thru a scope, It looks idiotic.

I don't know what it is about gun videos on youtube. I swear, you give a 16 year old kid a gun and his buddy a camera and their IQs drop like rocks. I'm surprised there isn't more accidental shootings and ka-booms on youtube with all the idiocy we see on there sometimes :sad20:

FCobra94

Mar 28, 2009
    And welcome to the where all the fun is! I found MDShooters while googling for info trying to wrap my head around MD gun laws. What county you located in?
    Thanks!

I'm acutally in Anne Arundel County, just outside of Annapolis.

Yeah, it seems that I couldn't have picked a worse time to start getting into target shooting, considering that the AK's, etc. that I am now intersted in seem to have doubled in price recently :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom