• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Which brand of broad heads are you shooting deer with?
    I bought a used crossbow from a friend.He has it set up with an expandable(not sure which brand).

I been very happy shooting Muzzy fixed blade out of a compound.Im new to shooting a crossbow and looking for advice on which broad head to use.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I tried muzzy 3 and 4 blade from my pse, but they were both very different poi than field points. Rage mechanical broadheads shoot better. I use the ones with the crossbow collar. They just came out with a no-collar one, which I'll try soon.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Grim reaper Xbow I have some nap spitfire xbow too but have yet to send one through a deer. The reapers work awesome used their other heads on my compound bow before I switched.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I've used both Grim Reaper mechanical 3 blade 1.5'' cut and Ramcat fixed original 3 blade 1 3/8'' cut both 100 grains for crossbow.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    No matter what you choice is, try them out on a 3D target before hunting with them.

+1 on this.

I been variably using fixed blade 100gr and 125gr Montec G5s over the last few years. Have absolutely no complaints on performance. Clean pass through every time.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Most mechanicals I have tried fly like a field point-and they all pass thru without slowing down too much--its up to you but it would kill me to spend $15-20 on a broadhead that you generally get to use once---I have taken a bunch of deer with the chinese rage knockoffs from ebay that cost less than $2 each---generally the bolts have come from walmart for $5 or so----crossbows -and I have had 3 (so far) seem to be a lot less sensitive to bolt and head weight than a compound.bow. Last season DanimalW gifted me several packs of Slicktrick fixed blade heads and I tried one of those and took a nice 8point with it--from a ground blind. Don't drive yourself crazy

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Typically NAP Spitfires, but this doe I took last year dropped dead in its tracks using the Bloodsport Gravedigger Extreme that came in the Barnett crossbow package I bought at Dicks (long before they went full mental). Pretty good hole from that Gravedigger. I’d never heard of them before I got that one included in the package, and decided to try it. Now, I may buy more of them, given the results. BTW, the huge bloody hole you see in this pic is the entry wound. My Spitfires have made some impressive wounds in the past, but this one was stunning IMHO.

Attachments

• 01B6281A-1879-4043-A66E-96FAC20DB54A.jpg
      01B6281A-1879-4043-A66E-96FAC20DB54A.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 266

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Rage 2 blade.

I'm trying these out this year also. What sold me was the field points that are configured exactly like the real warheads so you don't ruin expensive warheads on the practice target.

The mechanicals are allegedly more accurate than fixed broad heads out of the faster crossbows. Mine is 465 fps. Make sure you use the red crossbow shock collars that are stronger than the collars used for slower bows. These are supposed to prevent premature blade deployment which could effect performance :-)

Good Luck

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I've killed alot of deer with rage hypodermics. My friend loves the grim reaper ones but I'm really confident in the rages so no use in trying something different

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Most mechanicals I have tried fly like a field point-and they all pass thru without slowing down too much--its up to you but it would kill me to spend $15-20 on a broadhead that you generally get to use once---I have taken a bunch of deer with the chinese rage knockoffs from ebay that cost less than $2 each---generally the bolts have come from walmart for $5 or so----crossbows -and I have had 3 (so far) seem to be a lot less sensitive to bolt and head weight than a compound.bow. Last season DanimalW gifted me several packs of Slicktrick fixed blade heads and I tried one of those and took a nice 8point with it--from a ground blind. Don't drive yourself crazy

The Rage knockoffs are my go to broad head. For about $1.50 each they are a one time use head. I’ve shot dozens of dear with them

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I've used Nap Spitfires for the last 10 or so years, but am going to try Magnus Black Hornets this yr. I'm using a Parker Hornet and with hitting the same location in the broadhead target the black hornets are getting 4-5" of more penetration at 30 yards compared to the spitfires.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have used G5 Montecs, Trocar and currently running through my supply of Rage knockoffs. I really like the montec as long as it passthrough trough and doesn't hit a rock they sharpen right back up to use again.

I bought some G5 clones and have to test them first.

As they stated don't assume broadheads will fly true without testing them. I tried CE pile drives and the spine was way too low for my crossbow and the arrows planed badly with broadheads. Changed to a stiffer arrows and it tightened my flight up

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I'm another one for the Rage heads. Practice on 3D targets is priceless. I'm going to have to check out the collarless ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom