• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Good post, I've got that spiel pretty much memorized. Briefed a new shooter and her mom who hasn't shot in years today. Never heard of the TAB-K but I named those as the most important rules to remember off the top of my head.

I love teaching new shooters, as I've been trained by the scouts and military how to handle weapons safely. I've seen so many people acting like fools at ranges, and I always wonder where they learned their bad habits. I feel good helping people learn to shoot safely! This is a good post! :thumbsup:

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    Good post.

I will say that Squib loads scare me. It's a good thing to be scared of because it makes you more alert.

Bill at Hap Baker told me about a guy at the pistol range that had 3 or 4 squibs in a row.
    And never removed any of them from the barrel. He brought the gun to bill and told him he couldn't get the cylinder to open. Bill said the barrel was full of bullets.
    How can anyone be that dumb? And he reloaded. Wow.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Good post.

I will say that Squib loads scare me. It's a good thing to be scared of because it makes you more alert.

Bill at Hap Baker told me about a guy at the pistol range that had 3 or 4 squibs in a row.
    And never removed any of them from the barrel. He brought the gun to bill and told him he couldn't get the cylinder to open. Bill said the barrel was full of bullets.
    How can anyone be that dumb? And he reloaded. Wow.

Just takes a clean record and money to own a weapon. Unfortunately, no common sense required.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's definately a good post and worthy of becoming a sticky IMHO.

It's a shame there are so many dumb asses that go to ranges who don't follow basic, common sense safety and courtesy tenets.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    Great post Holepunch,
    I would like to add that everyone please read thier manual and know how thier weapons work so that when a cease fire is called you will know how to make the gun safe. It also helps if and when you have a problem you will know what to do.
    Thanks

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Stumbled across this today. An oldie but a goodie. Great read for everybody, even those who know it inside and out. Safety first, then teamwork.

Awesome thread, I've been shooting since I was 5 when my father bought me my first 410 but I have always had a place of my own to shoot. Now its 25 years later and I will be going to a range for the first time soon and this was a nice read to get a heads up on what might be expected.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Speaking of "veteran shooters..."

I had occasion to be around a great friend of mine who's been around firearms practically all of his life. At some point during the day he, very accidentally, pointed a loaded firearm directly at me. Of course I flipped out, both in fear and anger, and then was told that because the safety was on and his finger was off of the trigger that there was "no way" the gun would fire.

That marked the last time I'll be around him with firearms. Gun safety is about attitude, not knowledge. Only takes one time to be careless to regret it for the rest of your days.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Speaking of "veteran shooters..."

I had occasion to be around a great friend of mine who's been around firearms practically all of his life. At some point during the day he, very accidentally, pointed a loaded firearm directly at me. Of course I flipped out, both in fear and anger, and then was told that because the safety was on and his finger was off of the trigger that there was "no way" the gun would fire.

That marked the last time I'll be around him with firearms. Gun safety is about attitude, not knowledge. Only takes one time to be careless to regret it for the rest of your days.

I've had several friends tell me the same thing when I spoke up after getting flagged by their muzzle; "oh, it's not loaded" :tdown:

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Dick Cheney said the same thing.

:lol2:

I think it's safe to safe Ol' Dick broke both rules concerning muzzle AND trigger control.

Actually, I think he shot intentionally, and another shooter just happened to be in the shot path. So I guess that event falls under being aware of you target and what's in front of / beyond it. Epic fail :tdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom