• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FE6EEEAFC86EEA2A5657FE6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Not sure of the cost or if anyone would have a need , but this seems like it is a good unit . It received good reviews .

I really like the idea.

However, I’m sometimes suspicious of thumbprint reader technology. My phone has it and so does my laptop. I would say 1 out of 10 times it doesn’t work on the first attempt. If my hands are slightly wet it wont work at all.

I currently keep my G30 loaded in a safe with a dial combo and also 5 digit code inside of my night stand. I’ve tested the lock about once per week to make sure it works. I’ve practiced rolling out of bed and unlocking it which takes about 5 sec if I fast and make a lot of noise or 10-12 sec if move slower but quietly.

Their product is better as long as that thumb thing is 99.99% reliable.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yeah with prints i would think it would be not 100% , the tester and reviews were good . Not sure of the reliability or fail factor , it would have to work 100 % of the time for sure .

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I’ve been considering a small bedside safe but after quite a bit of research I don’t think I’d get anything other than something like a Fort Knox pistol box. Simplex locks are mechanical and can actually be faster than biometric locks. And they’re absolutely reliable, biometrics are prone to failure, at best may take a couple seconds, and are battery-powered. The Fort Knox can be bolted to your nighstand and is pretty heavy too if you’re worried about theft when you’re out. Or better still get something like a concealment lamp.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm leery of anything electronic. If I cut my finger, I might not get it open.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In a panic situation I think it would be as effective as contraceptive cheesecloth.

****Yes. That system looks pretty cool, and is clearly high quality and well engineered. However, in a SHTF scenario it seems a bit over engineered with too many potential points of failure. As others have mentioned, biometric safes are great until they don't recognize your print because you're sweating like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now, or have a cut on your finger, electronic lock failure, etc...

I've had the servos go bad on electronic safes, or the biometric reader itself simply stop reading my fingerprint for whatever reason, batteries dying without any warning, or humidity just killing the electronics in the unit itself. No way I'm trusting that with my life..

Below is a pic of my underbed safety setup, with the weekend safety pack. It's a FT Knox pistol safe with a Simplex Lock that works really well and has a gas operated door that swings out quietly and quickly. I have several of these types of safes, and one of them has had the lock operated thousands of times in my kitchen safe where I store my wallet, keys, and work ID's every day after work. They just flat out work and are reasonably secure given their intended use.

I can get to my pistol within 3 seconds at night while in bed if needed. I would use the pistol to get to my AR's hidden elsewhere in the room, or other parts of the house if needed. There is an alarm hooked up to the AR safe, that calls my emergency list if I don't disarm it, so my pistol and phone (in that order) are my first line of defense. The phone for calling the cops if needed.

Anyway, I like gadgets and things that are built well. that Vara system looks really nice, but I'd rather not trust something electronic, especially biometric with my life unless there is no other option.

Attachments

• Big Willy.jpg
      Big Willy.jpg
      32 KB · Views: 324

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    You know, if you oiled your gun or got some desiccant you wouldn't need to use the magnums around your gun...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I have a gunvault I purchased when they were a new product. It is extremely unpredictable with batteries, sometimes they last 5 months sometimes they die in 1. I no longer use it for anything I might rely on.

I like the sentry biometric pistol safes a lot. I have 2, in different rooms, and my wife has one. If the fingerprint reader fails there is both keypad and keyed entry options. The electronics must be much more efficient on standby, they do not drain batteries. They last a year or more, I try to remember to replace them annually.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SentryS...Gun-Safe-with-Biometric-Lock-QAP1BE/204278642

https://www.sentrysafe.com/product/QAP1BE

Attachments

• QAP1BE_angled.png
      QAP1BE_angled.png
      27.5 KB · Views: 302

Kidd07

Res Ipsa Loquitur
    Jul 3, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    I use the gunvault speedvault. This one doesn't look like it will accommodate a weapon light. Im also left handed and it doesnt look reversible.

If I were going to spend a ton of money I would go with this.

https://vaulteksafe.com/products/vaultek-slider-series/

I have the Vaultek Slider. Works great. It connects to WiFi and alerts me if anyone tampers with the safe. I have it mounted to my bed and I have a hidden immediate-access button near by which opens the slide almost instantaneously. I was a little leery of the electronics failing but the safe has a long-lasting battery backup and a key and the button is battery powered as well. Definitely expensive though.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I personally can't rely on anything that requires a finger print. Mine are shot from being in water and chemicals over the years. My phone never works and my iPad is 1:20 times if lucky. My prints have always been rejected by ATF the first 2 times and on the third try they basically say "OK we'll accept , but they are still not good".

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I’ve been considering a small bedside safe but after quite a bit of research I don’t think I’d get anything other than something like a Fort Knox pistol box. Simplex locks are mechanical and can actually be faster than biometric locks. And they’re absolutely reliable, biometrics are prone to failure, at best may take a couple seconds, and are battery-powered. The Fort Knox can be bolted to your nighstand and is pretty heavy too if you’re worried about theft when you’re out. Or better still get something like a concealment lamp.

Try a Vaultek. I love mine. Multiple ways to open: An app, a key, a keypad, and a biometric sensor..

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    I can't remember the company and I am sure there are few different ones offering a magnetic release safe. They also had a lot of safes that don't look like safes. If you google magnetic release safes you may find something that suits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom