What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Prepped another ~150 9mm Major on the 650 tonight. A combination of very full cases of powder, no bullet feeder (JHPs not being great in those) and too many accursed FC NT cases really slows down the throughput. Plan is to get ~500 loaded, and then swap back over to 9mm.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Cranked out another few hundred 9 Major on the press. Almost there. Trying to decide if I'm gonna stop when I run out of SRPs from this box or what. I really need to switch back to regular old 9mm in prep for some matches or classes... have enough buffer to see me through the month (inc one high round count class), but probably not too much beyond that.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Loaded up 50 257wby with Barnes 101gr lrx and RL26. Had to tweak the load slightly using the once fired brass vs new. Gained 25fps and little better es/sd new velocity is 3710fps. Ready to start filling some crop damage tags soon.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Set up my new Dillon 650 (still waiting on the 45 conversion kit) and converted it to large primers.

Also finished out the last of my box of SRPs into 9 Major... will start cranking on 9 Minor next time I get a chance.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I brought my 20th century RCBS JR3 press into the 21st century by replacing the OEM lever (with a definitively non ergo bicycle grip) with an ergo lever with roller grip from InLineFribricacation. I got this press in the 90s along with a hand primer for $25 or 30 (I forget) and used it mostly for depriming large pistol primers so I wouldn't have to swap out the primer on my SDB and then for loading 45 Auto Rim for my S&W 625. Now with expectations of shooting my new 45 Colt New Vaquero more, I treated myself and this press to a decent action job (which cost me double what the press cost.) I tested it out by resizing 48 cases and it worked as smooth as snot. The only detractor is that if not left in the fully upright and locked position, gravity will overtake the lever and it will whack you in the knee. The straight bar would stay put in any position. There is a secondary lever mounting hole which I never figured out what it could be used for, some sort of return spring or counter balance might be the next addition.
    JR3 roller_15.jpg

Next up is a roller handle for my SDB.
    And yes that is a repurposed dark room timer which controls my Dillon Vibratory Case Cleaner.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Swapped 650 #1 to 9mm Minor this morning and put together a few test rounds. No obvious issues. I can move a heck of a lot faster when the case is only half full and I have a bullet feeder. :)

650 #2 is standing by waiting for the rest of the 45ACP conversion kit someone sold me. Case feeder will supposedly be here today or tomorrow. Once it's dialed in, I'll buy a MrBF and add it to the mix.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Casted 1k+ 160 grain lee 312/2R bullets out of WW alloy and around 100 170 grain lee 309 flat points . Can never have too much Lee 312/2R as I literally run them on every 30 cal bolt/mag fed action I own with great success. The lee 309/flat points are for the tube fed marlin 336.

Pulled and re-manufactured 100 rounds of 9mm that I reserved as defects.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Casted 1k+ 160 grain lee 312/2R bullets out of WW alloy and around 100 170 grain lee 309 flat points . Can never have too much Lee 312/2R as I literally run them on every 30 cal bolt/mag fed action I own with great success. The lee 309/flat points are for the tube fed marlin 336.

Pulled and re-manufactured 100 rounds of 9mm that I reserved as defects.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

Kinda warm for casting isn't it?

I was just looking at my new Lee #00 buckshot mold and can't
    motivate myself to start the pot...

Maybe I'm just a puss

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I put together some .357 180gr nosler to use as bear repellent while camping in PA. I wanted to purchase some Buffalo Bore 180gr loads but they're a little pricey. I found a guy online who is duplicating the BB loads using 15.7 gr of Hogdon Lil'gun. I started with 15gr being the max in per Hogdon.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Kinda warm for casting isn't it?

I was just looking at my new Lee #00 buckshot mold and can't
    motivate myself to start the pot...

Maybe I'm just a puss
    I was casting in a cool basement room out a window that has a cement platform. It's not perfect though as the mosquitoes near the backyard stream tracked me down and devoured my ankles. Eventually, I would love a blower fan ducted casting station in my reloading room.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Took advantage in a small break in the heat and tried out my new 00buck mold and water quenched the shot. I read about tumbling them in water for a hour or so to round them up. So that’s the task for today

Attachments

• D79178E0-0210-44FD-B1D4-F122FDD499F7.jpeg
      D79178E0-0210-44FD-B1D4-F122FDD499F7.jpeg
      389.6 KB · Views: 60
    • 0A203A61-F224-48A9-A8D6-55B70E24EDB8.jpeg
      0A203A61-F224-48A9-A8D6-55B70E24EDB8.jpeg
      177.5 KB · Views: 59
    • 21B79426-CD7C-498A-8EB0-A56E13493B34.jpeg
      21B79426-CD7C-498A-8EB0-A56E13493B34.jpeg
      303.6 KB · Views: 60
    • 7F3BCEA2-4E18-4E76-B48F-475B92BBBF4B.jpeg
      7F3BCEA2-4E18-4E76-B48F-475B92BBBF4B.jpeg
      305.3 KB · Views: 56
    • C1113495-6094-42A9-A7EF-F34E0E24E577.jpeg
      C1113495-6094-42A9-A7EF-F34E0E24E577.jpeg
      193.8 KB · Views: 63

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm at a bit of a standstill at my bench, for a couple of reasons, but mostly because of a lack of bullets:

For 223, I'm out of bullets - I need more before I can load more
    For 41 mag, I need to source some bullets
    For 25-06 I need to source some bullets

I'm also thinking about getting another Dillon powder measure because I think it's a PITA to swap out the charge bars - rifle takes the larger charge bar, and I think it would be easier to just get a second powder measure so I can dedicate one to pistol cartridges and the other to rifle, although for some rifle, I'll probably load with a different measure and trickle up - depends on the cartridge. With that said, I load enough 223 on the Dillon that having another powder measure would be a good idea.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I'm at a bit of a standstill at my bench, for a couple of reasons, but mostly because of a lack of bullets:

I'm also thinking about getting another Dillon powder measure because I think it's a PITA to swap out the charge bars - rifle takes the larger charge bar, and I think it would be easier to just get a second powder measure so I can dedicate one to pistol cartridges and the other to rifle, although for some rifle, I'll probably load with a different measure and trickle up - depends on the cartridge. With that said, I load enough 223 on the Dillon that having another powder measure would be a good idea.
    41 mag cast

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I got a Wilson chamber style seating die for 6.5 Creedmoor and loaded up 15 test rounds to try out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.

Sounds like casting will be in your near future. I was firing off some cast 38 hollow points my son and I made - there’s definitely a sense of pride with each trigger pull. Also, you just need lead and you can have all the bullets you want.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sounds like casting will be in your near future. I was firing off some cast 38 hollow points my son and I made - there’s definitely a sense of pride with each trigger pull. Also, you just need lead and you can have all the bullets you want.
    I'm no stranger to casting. I cast bullets as a kid under the direction of my Dad. I'd love to get into it, mainly to feed my pistols, but the reason Dad did it was purely economic - he had easy and cheap/free sources of lead, so it was a no-brainer.

I've tried to source lead here in Central MD, but I haven't had a lot of luck. If lead was cheap and easy like it was in the 70s and 80s, I'd be all over it.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm no stranger to casting. I cast bullets as a kid under the direction of my Dad. I'd love to get into it, mainly to feed my pistols, but the reason Dad did it was purely economic - he had easy and cheap/free sources of lead, so it was a no-brainer.

I've tried to source lead here in Central MD, but I haven't had a lot of luck. If lead was cheap and easy like it was in the 70s and 80s, I'd be all over it.
    You should probably start at the larger commercial tire and wheel places on rt2 and rt1 corridors. Avoid anyplace that a soccer mom would be willing to walk into. The shadier the better. Lack of a "waiting room" is a good sign. Big trucks means bigger weights. Determine the shops preferred beer/liquor/etc. Bring your own containers.

Think of this as a kindergarten level class in the corruption of a system.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    You should probably start at the larger commercial tire and wheel places on rt2 and rt1 corridors. Avoid anyplace that a soccer mom would be willing to walk into. The shadier the better. Lack of a "waiting room" is a good sign. Big trucks means bigger weights. Determine the shops preferred beer/liquor/etc. Bring your own containers.

I can definitely second the “sketchier the better” I’ve only had good luck getting WW from sketchy ass places. Got the best hauls from places I would only go into if I was carrying.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I can definitely second the “sketchier the better” I’ve only had good luck getting WW from sketchy ass places. Got the best hauls from places I would only go into if I was carrying.

I have no place to mess with casting or I would be out doing this. I speak fluent hick so I have no issues hitting places where the soccer mom's and karen's won't venture. I like doing business with places that prefer cash and keep their records on paper; I have found the service to be generally better.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky

This is so true. I've just started checking shops, and all the soccer mom shops with waiting rooms like to inform me loudly that "They recycle those metals".. The small shops were all throwing them in the trash :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom