• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    A pistol grip shotgun (or non NFA firearm) is probably the most difficult HD weapon to use. Low capacity, hard to reload, hard to aim, can have decent power with slugs or buckshot. Adding a brace can help substantially.
    Definitely spend some time at the range with it, look into a class if you can. Hopefully the transfer stuff or refund works out for you

It depends on how you use it.

There is a Youtube channel that demonstrates how to use a birdshead grip shotgun effectively. He also demonstrates stockless rifles and cheek pistols in other videos.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP isn't dumb , he is not yet fully immersed in the totally illogical and counterintuitive ways of Md firearms laws .

I gave WP style shotgun like objects partial credit for best case . I know that USMS did develop doctrine that made them more real world effective than not having one . But stick by my recommendation for in home smoothbore needs to be filled by 18- 20 in bbl with real stock .

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    OP, I'm just guessing based on your choice of shop that you're near Charles county, is that correct?

There are lots of good shops around to find your defense shotgun, and plenty of qualified trainers who can teach you how best to use it. Is that something you'd be looking for?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Denzel Washington approved.
    2937a829c188b6c08dfa799ceabc088b.jpg

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    OP,
    have you petitioned to have firearm added to MD handgun roster?
    Have you looked at what you need to do to obtain HQL and started the process?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A pistol grip shotgun (or non NFA firearm) is probably the most difficult HD weapon to use. Low capacity, hard to reload, hard to aim, can have decent power with slugs or buckshot. Adding a brace can help substantially.
    Definitely spend some time at the range with it, look into a class if you can. Hopefully the transfer stuff or refund works out for you

Agreed, I don't see anything great about these pistol grip 12 gauges. What's wrong with a 18.5" full stock barrel pump?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why not just get a rifle caliber carbine?
    Well, first of all they're loud as shit. The family is already scared enough.
    Over penetration.
    They're bigger and harder to manipulate close quarters, especially for women and children. I'd want every family member having every equal ease of use.
    In the same breath, the likelihood of a missed shot from a novice family member won't over penetrate.

A PCC isn't as intimidating and good hollow points are great for hd with no over penetration.
    Smaller is just easier for everyone. Your smaller kid with smaller arms can level one.
    They can be equipped the same as a rifle with red dot, light, and suppressor.
    Virtually zero recoil.
    Easier to train with at a typical indoor range where some don't allow rifle calibers.

So say both platforms being equal option wise, tell me why a rifle caliber is better than 9mm for inside a dwelling. And don't say less rounds needed to stop the threat. Because good self defense training says we just don't send 1 round.

If you live by yourself, then use what you want.
    My main pet peeve is it's usually a waaaaay under trained dude using the cool AR he built and being typically a lousy shot under stress, missing and killing a child in another room doesn't sit well with me.
    So for what that person lacks in training(bad shooting), can be usually alleviated with a pistol caliber round if they miss.

Ask that cop in LA 3 weeks ago if he still wished he used an AR instead of his pistol when he killed that girl shooting inside that store. They say it was a ricochet off the floor, but I believe the trajectory would have been different and that girl may have lived. Or, he would have landed all 3 shots better using a pistol and closing the distance before shooting.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My 300blk and 9mm AR pistols are about the exact same size and weight. I use subsonic in the 300 with a Daniel Defense can and it’s the favorite gun of all the nephews.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My 300blk and 9mm AR pistols are about the exact same size and weight. I use subsonic in the 300 with a Daniel Defense can and it’s the favorite gun of all the nephews.
    My 10.5 AR pistol and 4 inch MPX aren't the same size.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Agreed, I don't see anything great about these pistol grip 12 gauges. What's wrong with a 18.5" full stock barrel pump?

They are really long, most 870/500/590 18" models are 40" long compared to about 35" on a 16" AR15. You also still have only 5-6 rounds, the possibility of short stroking, and a ton of recoil. Put ANYONE on a simple course with a couple targets, ask them to put a round or two in each one, and a carbine will beat a shotgun 100% of the time, even more if they jam a pump or have to reload. A pistol grip only "non-nfa" firearm is shorter, but even harder to aim, run or reload.

Over penetration.
    They're bigger and harder to manipulate close quarters, especially for women and children. I'd want every family member having every equal ease of use.
    In the same breath, the likelihood of a missed shot from a novice family member won't over penetrate.

A PCC isn't as intimidating and good hollow points are great for hd with no over penetration.
    Smaller is just easier for everyone. Your smaller kid with smaller arms can level one.
    Virtually zero recoil.
    Easier to train with at a typical indoor range where some don't allow rifle calibers.

So say both platforms being equal option wise, tell me why a rifle caliber is better than 9mm for inside a dwelling. And don't say less rounds needed to stop the threat. Because good self defense training says we just don't send 1 round.

My main pet peeve is it's usually a waaaaay under trained dude using the cool AR he built and being typically a lousy shot under stress, missing and killing a child in another room doesn't sit well with me.
    So for what that person lacks in training(bad shooting), can be usually alleviated with a pistol caliber round if they miss.

Ask that cop in LA 3 weeks ago if he still wished he used an AR instead of his pistol when he killed that girl shooting inside that store. They say it was a ricochet off the floor, but I believe the trajectory would have been different and that girl may have lived. Or, he would have landed all 3 shots better using a pistol and closing the distance before shooting.

Agreed, a PCC can be a great HD weapon with a couple considerations, primarily with blowback AR9s. First is that most don't feed HPs reliably, there are a few that do, and builds with Taccom or Macon barrels will, but most feed cones suck for anything other than FMJs. Second is blowback has a fair amount of recoil and a LOT of reciprocating mass, so they are prone to bump fire and dead triggers with small shooters, a loose stance, and some BCG/buffer/FCG choices making it worse. Like most anything else, if the person fires it enough with defensive ammo to be confident, then they can be awesome.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Over penetration.

Virtually zero recoil.

-Haven't shot a 9mm rifle that had significantly more recoil impulse than a 5.56. Blowback systems out of a 9mm subgun vs. DI .223 rifles are relatively the same.

-I shot a 115 grain hollowpoint at a refrigerator and out of a p365. Ripped through several cartons of water, fridge door and insultation, 3 layers of drywall, grazed a door frame and found a home in a kleenex hard shell holder. The overpenetration of slow moving relatively heavier pistol rounds through drywalls is WORSE than 5.56 which tends to disintegrate, tumble and deviate heavily as it moves through hard barriers. Put a pistol round this in an even longer barrel. And its even worse.

-have seen B&Ts, stribogs and various AResque PCCs be far more finicky than ARs with different ammo and magazine offerings. The only PCC i Have seen make it through a high round shooting course without any issues was a CZ Scorpion.

-weight i also think is relative inconsequential when a PCC is in the 5-7lb range naked and an AR15 is in the 6-7.5. If someone feels the pound or 2 would make them ineffective they probably aren't choosing a carbine or any long gun as a first choice anywaya

-the volume of our guns argument...eh i mean i wouldnt use a .357 inside the house if it was my choice. But my 1st reason on the list isnt because its louder than other choices. Ive had 240B open up next to me in concrete structures and no ear protection. Never really remember it being a hindrance in communication. Could it.. sure. But again trying to control for every variable is fruitless, especially when you look at what you're given up.

-As for training. If you suck with an AR. You probably also suck with a PCC and vice versa. Dont think one requires less trigger time than the other when it comes to proficiency.

-and my final reason is there is a reason pretty much every PD has moved away from the MP5 and onto the short barreled AR15. It wasnt just for terminal ballistics (which could be reason enough) but external ballistics. 5.56 is "safer" in dynamic environments with both friend and foe over 9mm because small bullet going High speed no like hard barriers. It will penetrate sure. But will lose what makes it highly incapacitory...which for the 5.56 is ONLY speed. Not to mention the tumbling and bullet fragmentation is far higher than low speed high drag.

-I'm not familiar with the LA story. But like I said. There are variables you can never account for. But at any distance you can get full extension of your weapon where it be pistol or rifle, can I see the rifle being less accurate.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    -Haven't shot a 9mm rifle that had significantly more recoil impulse than a 5.56. Blowback systems out of a 9mm subgun vs. DI .223 rifles are relatively the same.

-I shot a 115 grain hollowpoint at a refrigerator and out of a p365. Ripped through several cartons of water, fridge door and insultation, 3 layers of drywall, grazed a door frame and found a home in a kleenex hard shell holder. The overpenetration of slow moving relatively heavier pistol rounds through drywalls is WORSE than 5.56 which tends to disintegrate, tumble and deviate heavily as it moves through hard barriers. Put a pistol round this in an even longer barrel. And its even worse.

-have seen B&Ts, stribogs and various AResque PCCs be far more finicky than ARs with different ammo and magazine offerings. The only PCC i Have seen make it through a high round shooting course without any issues was a CZ Scorpion.

-weight i also think is relative inconsequential when a PCC is in the 5-7lb range naked and an AR15 is in the 6-7.5. If someone feels the pound or 2 would make them ineffective they probably aren't choosing a carbine or any long gun as a first choice anywaya

-the volume of our guns argument...eh i mean i wouldnt use a .357 inside the house if it was my choice. But my 1st reason on the list isnt because its louder than other choices. Ive had 240B open up next to me in concrete structures and no ear protection. Never really remember it being a hindrance in communication. Could it.. sure. But again trying to control for every variable is fruitless, especially when you look at what you're given up.

-As for training. If you suck with an AR. You probably also suck with a PCC and vice versa. Dont think one requires less trigger time than the other when it comes to proficiency.

-and my final reason is there is a reason pretty much every PD has moved away from the MP5 and onto the short barreled AR15. It wasnt just for terminal ballistics (which could be reason enough) but external ballistics. 5.56 is "safer" in dynamic environments with both friend and foe over 9mm because small bullet going High speed no like hard barriers. It will penetrate sure. But will lose what makes it highly incapacitory...which for the 5.56 is ONLY speed. Not to mention the tumbling and bullet fragmentation is far higher than low speed high drag.

-I'm not familiar with the LA story. But like I said. There are variables you can never account for. But at any distance you can get full extension of your weapon where it be pistol or rifle, can I see the rifle being less accurate.
    I dunno man. Sounds like you have it figured out. Use whatever you want while hunkering down in whatever room and wait for the threat to come through that beautiful fatal funnel of a bedroom door.
    Because that's what I'm going to do. Keep a position of dominance.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    To each there own but my choice ( other than a pistol) I have a youth model 20 gauge pump.. I’m sure one would want to stand in front of it. It’s small and serves its purpose. Actually use it for turkey hunting also. Love it . Small and light and it’s a shotgun , for basic home defense it’s perfect. I wouldn’t want to be in a drawn out fight with it but for something that’s going to last initially seconds I find it acceptable. A pistol also accompanies it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom