• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a cz 527 American in 221 FB. Its got the sporter barrel and with handloads will shoot 1/2” groups all day. I have used it for stalking varmits and got to thinking it would be a cool rifle to suppress when ever my omega 300 gets paroled.

My question is, would it be possible to thread such a light barrel for 5/8x24 or even 1/2x24? Any suggestions for a reputable gun smith who would do the work?

Also wouldn’t want to compromise such a accurate rifle by hanging extra weight on the end of it.

Thanks

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Not sure what the muzzle diameter is...

For 1/2-28, you only need a barrel that is 0.550” at the muzzle. 0.500” for the threads, and minimum 0.050 additional for the shoulder. For 221 FB, 1/2-28 is enough. Same thread that is used on AR-15’s in .223/5.56

You need a bit under 0.700” for 5/8-24. 0.625” for the threads and the rest for the shoulder.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    Not sure what the muzzle diameter is...

For 1/2-28, you only need a barrel that is 0.550” at the muzzle. 0.500” for the threads, and minimum 0.050 additional for the shoulder. For 221 FB, 1/2-28 is enough. Same thread that is used on AR-15’s in .223/5.56

You need a bit under 0.700” for 5/8-24. 0.625” for the threads and the rest for the shoulder.

From what I could find the 223 barrel measures .570 at the muzzle. I would assume same barrel as the 221.

I will just have to pick up a 1/2-28 direct thread for the omega.

Thank you

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    I can highly recommend triple river for doing the work....http://tripleriver.net. They threaded a CZ453 varmint barrel (17hmr) for me, and it's beautiful. You have to look real hard to even notice the thread protector they custom made for it. To top it off, they were actually cheaper (with shipping both ways) than any quotes I got around here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used both Short Action Customs in Ohio (did a Rem 700 for me and installed muzzle brake), and Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis (did a Lilja barrel for my C455).

Both were one week door to door. LRI did the threading, made a thread protector (what when on, you cannot see the line), and Cerakoted the barrel. And still only 1 week door to door.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I can highly recommend triple river for doing the work....http://tripleriver.net. They threaded a CZ453 varmint barrel (17hmr) for me, and it's beautiful. You have to look real hard to even notice the thread protector they custom made for it. To top it off, they were actually cheaper (with shipping both ways) than any quotes I got around here.

I have used both Short Action Customs in Ohio (did a Rem 700 for me and installed muzzle brake), and Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis (did a Lilja barrel for my C455).

Both were one week door to door. LRI did the threading, made a thread protector (what when on, you cannot see the line), and Cerakoted the barrel. And still only 1 week door to door.

Did you guys pull the barrel or did you send off the whole action?

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a cz 527 American in 221 FB. Its got the sporter barrel and with handloads will shoot 1/2” groups all day. I have used it for stalking varmits and got to thinking it would be a cool rifle to suppress when ever my omega 300 gets paroled.

My question is, would it be possible to thread such a light barrel for 5/8x24 or even 1/2x24? Any suggestions for a reputable gun smith who would do the work?

Also wouldn’t want to compromise such a accurate rifle by hanging extra weight on the end of it.

Thanks

Are you familiar with rimfire central.com? If not sign up and introduce yourself.. There is a whole forum dedicated to CZs with some excellent info. Post your question there for starters. Your post may get moved to the centerfire section but you'll get all the info you need to know.
    It's all gun talk on the site.. No politics, water cooler etc. but excellent information and very helpful menberers.
    I may be posting a similar question soon.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Did you guys pull the barrel or did you send off the whole action?

For my Rem 700, I sent the barreled action.

For the CZ, it was just the barrel.

You can send long guns FedEx Ground. So not expensive.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    My buddy has a barrel vice and he pulls r 700s all the time. I’ve just heard the cz barrels can be a pain to break loose. I tend to not be so gentle when I get frustrated so I’d rather just pay extra for someone more patient than me to take it off and put it back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom