• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Need help. I have a Gen 3 FrankenGlock 19 that appears to have the (now dead) night front sight glued, epoxied, or Locktited. The sight screw is missing but the sight is firmly attached. I have tried tapping it out w/ a 3/32" punch from underneath, but no go. I've used a heat gun for a few minutes and tapped away w/o success. I've tried a little bit of acetone, no go.

I am afraid to large hammer and the punch. I am also afraid to use the heat gun over 3 minutes to avoid damaging the finish.

Can I safely soak the front of the slide in acetone, Kroil, carb cleaner, break cleaner, wd40, paint thinner, gasoline etc w/o damaging the finish? Alternatively, how much heat can I safely use via heat gun? Any ideas would be welcome.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    assuming the front sight is trash at this point, grab the front sight blade with pliers. My Glock 19 did not have the typical screw in front sight, it was pressed or staked in place. A firm grip with pliers and out she came.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Are you sure it is glued? I have seen some glocks, police trade ins, where the front sight was pressed in place. To get it out I drilled it out from the underside until it was nearly through to the slide on the sides of the hole and then tapped it out with a punch. I bet that is what yours is.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You're not going to hurt the nitrided slide with solvents. It should be able to handle a good amount of heat too, but I'm not sure about temperature.

I'd just drive it out with a punch. Regardless of whether it's a staked sight or of it's missing the screw and glued in, it still has to come out in that direction.

I guess you can take an adjustable wrench and twist it gently to try to break the glue contact.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    It is a police trade in so maybe it was pressed. I'll try the pliers and drill approaches. Thanks

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I have it in a vise and now it looks like the sight was riveted in. There is some metal proud of the slide underside by 1/64" or so. The slide moves but the sight does not. I guess it is time for the drill or grinder. Too bad I can't press it out. Thanks for all the advice.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    A Dremel w/ a grinder head did the trick. Looks like it was pressed and riveted. Never thought I would see this. Thanks to all.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Here are the three most popular front sight attachments for the Glock
    Sounds like you may have the pinned sight on yours.

If so... the pin wedges the sight into the hole and needs to be removed before the sight will come out without possibly damaging your slide. (If the sight is metallic... if it is plastic, just twist it off with pliers and drive the stub out from the top with a drift punch.)

The swaged/staked sight can be removed by pinching the sides together and the other by removing the screw.

images

Just trying to help.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Here are the three most popular front sight attachments for the Glock
    Sounds like you may have the pinned sight on yours.

If so... the pin wedges the sight into the hole and needs to be removed before the sight will come out without possibly damaging your slide. (If the sight is metallic... if it is plastic, just twist it off with pliers and drive the stub out from the top with a drift punch.)

The swaged/staked sight can be removed by pinching the sides together and the other by removing the screw.

images

Just trying to help.

It was the middle pic. I gently ground the proud material and used the vise to extract the f-sight. Anyone who took advantage of the recent Atlantic Guns G19 used sale should expect to see this sort of thing. Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom