• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    OK. So I scored a some 1 lb containers of various powders in their original containers at a sale. All are labeled as to when they were purchased (2/99). They were stored in an acceptable controlled location. Other than send/deliver/give them to some of you folks :innocent0, do you think that they are safe to use in reloading? (The powders will work for most of what I reload.)

00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I figured. But better paranoid and safe than cussing on the firing line.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IIRC the NSSF and/or NRMA, and most powder mfgs will have ccomplete check lists of what to check.
    But as long as storage conditions are even sort of ok, 2/99 is practically brand new.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    For government purposes, powder used to have a 10-year shelf life if kept in containers. If kept in cartidges, somewhat longer....

If you score some old powder, check if it is still sealed and and also check for smell and consistency. If it smells sour, leave it alone, if the grains are easily broken apart by hand, leave it alone, if it looks and smells fine, I'll take it :innocent0

One small thing to mention: Powder charges tend to differ; a charge from years ago might not behave exactly the same as a current one and there might be some subtle aging effects that you do not recognize. I would therefore recommend against using the powder in loads at the end of the pressure scale, but otherwise it should be fine.

I ended up with my grandfather's old H&R .38 five shot revolver and two boxes of ammo (S&W .38). One box was very old. I fired one shell and found that it was NOT smokeless powder! Four more rounds through the weapon convinced me that the ammo was OK. Comparing it with a new box of ammo, the old stuff (1892) kicked a lot harder and of course belched out a cloud of smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom