• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Fellas, I'm in a position to acquire another AK variant, a Century Yugo M70 NPAP, used but like new, very nice wood, side optic mount, at a decent (mid $4's range) price. Should I, or is that a "meh" deal, easy enough to pass on...

Sights look straight, I am aware that the Yugo scope rail is slightly different from Warsaw Pact standard, it is not (I don't think) chrome lined.

Annnd go;

DirtyHarry45

Jun 8, 2013
    Mid $400 price range? You should pass on it but just make sure to forward me the sellers info :)

I would get it if I were you.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    is there even a general consensus on the best functioning MD legal AK variant rifle ?

There aren't many left, excluding pistols probably the 5.45 AK-74s from Arsenal which as far as I know are still deemed legal by the state police since they are different enough from the banned ak-47s

The state police site still says they are legal.

Arsenal SLR-107FR Banned Copy of an enumerated banned weapon 12/19/2017

Arsenal SAM7R Banned Copy of an enumerated banned weapon. 12/19/2017

Arsenal SLR 104 FR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 12/29/2016

Arsenal SLR 106 FR, F, CR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 5/30/2017

Arsenal SLR 104UR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 7/12/2017

Arsenal SLR 105 Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 9/11/2017

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    thicker receiver, heavier, no chrome lining in barrel, chromed carrier/bolt , and std AK furniture doesn't fit(Yugo furniture is around now though). My M70 shoots well, relatively accurate by AK standards, and feels nice and solid, big step up from WASR's, IMO the Yugos are one of the better stamped variants

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    There aren't many left, excluding pistols probably the 5.45 AK-74s from Arsenal which as far as I know are still deemed legal by the state police since they are different enough from the banned ak-47s

Arsenal SLR 104 FR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 12/29/2016

Arsenal SLR 106 FR, F, CR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 5/30/2017

Arsenal SLR 104UR Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 7/12/2017

Arsenal SLR 105 Not Banned Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon 9/11/2017

whats street price for these things ? still hovering around a grand?

these are .556 and 5.45 calibers, correct?

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Well, I got it, and it shoots great. I'm modding a side mount right now to fit the unique Yugo style side rail, and I've run into a fella that makes those oversize Yugo M76 Teak or Beech pistol grips, so I'm on the list for that. When I am finished, it will sport a MI single ring mount with an old school Aimpoint 2000 on it .
    Pics WILL follow when complete.

0ebkiLi.jpg

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    Pics WILL follow when complete.

Well, so I did get the M76 style grip, and it looks and feels great. Along the way, I had some issues with the rifle, here's what I ran into, and how I solved it;
    Trigger return issues - Okay, well, it's a single hook Tapco trigger, and while shooting it, I had severe trigger return issues, having to nudge the trigger back forward after each shot. Took the assembly out, cleaned and reinstalled, and the problem seems to have gone away. I also snagged a Century Arms RAK 1 trigger for it, but discovered that it was not usable on the Yugo, they make a separate trigger for that model. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. Anyhow, fixed, pending live fire testing to confirm.

Safety lever over ride - This was a vexing issue and underscored the challenge of finding parts for this unique variant of the AK. Anyhow, the top cover fit loosely, and could shift slightly to the left, which set up a situation that would allow the safety to skip the "safe" position and continue upward past the top cover, which if lifted high enough, would actually cause the hammer to fall because the safety paddle inside would contact the back of the semi-auto disconnector and cam it and the trigger forward (at the top). So, I think I have solved this by refitting the top cover to be snug to the receiver by stretching it through peening the back of the cover to make it "longer". It's very snug now, and that's good, because you will have a hard time replacing it on a Yugo, they just don't have a lot of extras available, and standard top covers are longer and the left side is shaped differently. While peening the back, I also peened the right side where the top of the safety rests against the top cover, causing it to more fully engage the safety, stopping the upward travel. I will, at some point, narrow the internal safety paddle to where it clears the back of the disconnector, removing that issue as well.

Flash hider was loose - This was an extra I had lying around and it was a bit loose when clocked to it's retainer, so I simply honed it down to time it correctly, it's tight now.

No rear sling swivel - Installed an AK sling swivel and a Yugo sling, on the lower left side of the stock, as I had cruised several pictures of AK swivel positioning on wood stocks and this seemed like an okay location for it.

I have not noticed the metal softness talked about with the bolt assemblies on these Yugos, but then I have nowhere near the rounds through it that could cause the aforementioned peening of the bolt, but I'll be on the lookout for it.

Otherwise, I think I found a nice looking, nice shooting AK variant that I can remove and replace the old Aimpoint 2000 without loss of zero thanks to the Midwest Industries ring/mount assembly.
    Sorry for the huge pic, I can't seem to resize it?
    j5yiQ68.jpg

Feb 28, 2013

Well aint that a sonuvabitch.... I got a 106CR and had to buy it regulated :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom