• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    the hornady manual shows this to be a couple hundred feet per second faster than most other powders. Has anyone used this powder and have any complaints or praises about it?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Temperature sensitive in a .30-06. Swipe marks in the 80 degree temperature range none at 50ish. Was not impressed with accuracy in 6.5 Remington Magnum or .30-06.

Good Luck

Jerry

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Reports online haven't terribly complimentary to it. Very temperature sensitive, not necessarily very accurate. CFE223 is my new favorite .223/.308 powder - easy metering, excellent max velocity, and not horribly temperature sensitive.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Reports online haven't terribly complimentary to it. Very temperature sensitive, not necessarily very accurate. CFE223 is my new favorite .223/.308 powder - easy metering, excellent max velocity, and not horribly temperature sensitive.

I agree.... I use CFE223 for 55-62 grain 223/556 rounds... it is an amazing powder.

Personally I use IMR 8208 XBR for heavier (68-77 grain) 223 rounds and for all my 308 needs.... very consistent, easy metering and reasonably priced.

And both have ZERO temperature sensitivity issues and I have had no pressure issues with either powder so far over the past 5 years..

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've been meaning to try some 8208 XBR for 6.5 Grendel. I throw my loads (I know, I know), so one of my key criteria is that it has to be a powder that works well in that context. XBR seems like it has short enough grains that it shouldn't be too bad.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    The comments on this thread make me realize i need/want to make another thread about how to track what we've already tried so we dont go in circles.. look for a follow up thread on that if you're interested. I'm giong to avoid this powder for now though. thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom