• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    you can find a link to the transcript on scotusblog.

There have been no orders related to this case. For sure, the justices voted by now.

They meet after lunch to vote on the cases, so the miscellaneous orders list is posted before they leave for the day. Check again around 4pm.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    It was an interesting question from her. I think she’ll vote to moot, but yeah, it is an excellent question and point. Beyond that is the burden. “Go buy 2 guns if you actually want to protect yourself in your homes”. Granted, if you own two homes, a 2nd gun is probably within your means, but that really is beyond the point.

The question still remains, am I allowed to use Arms to defend myself and protect my property when I am traveling between my two homes?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They meet after lunch to vote on the cases, so the miscellaneous orders list is posted before they leave for the day. Check again around 4pm.

Based on the properties of the pdf file of the miscellaneous orders (yes, you can do that), for 11/15, 11/22 and 12/6: The 11/22 file was created at around 1145am, and today's file as well as the 11/15 was created at around 1:45 pm. (ETA: the one on 11/1 was 1pm). All were released shortly thereafter.

ETA: so i am not sure its a "regular" time, only that recently we get grants in the afternoon on fridays now, by around 2:30 ish

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The question still remains, am I allowed to use Arms to defend myself and protect my property when I am traveling between my two homes?

Yes. Or at least you should be able to. I agree with you, it is more that I am shocked by her question (that it came from her). When RBG is pointing out how odious your restriction on the 2nd, you know you done ****ed up.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes. Or at least you should be able to. I agree with you, it is more that I am shocked by her question (that it came from her). When RBG is pointing out how odious your restriction on the 2nd, you know you done ****ed up.

I don’t think a NY court would agree with you. If you’re traveling between your two homes and have the firearms safely unloaded, separate from the ammo, under what condition could you imagine that a self defense plea would work? If you had the time to stop, unpack your gun, load the mag, load the gun, then fire the court would say you also had the time and ability to flea or extract yourself from danger. I don’t know NY laws on standing your ground, and I’m not a lawyer, but given the state’s liberal leaning I can’t imagine a situation where they’d side with you that you had no other choice than to stop everything, unpack, load and fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    the 4 lefties are interesting. breyer especially holds the heller ruling in high contempt, and even says that.

oh well. time will tell. clement even seemed to get a small dig in, during rebuttal, that lower courts failed. it should have been more blatant. he noted that things have dragged on for 5 years, and every court agreed with the city's old rule. all agreed it only changed the rule because of cert.

and no one said, that if it was that wrong, why didn't any lower court think it was wrong.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I don’t think a NY court would agree with you. If you’re traveling between your two homes and have the firearms safely unloaded, separate from the ammo, under what condition could you imagine that a self defense plea would work? If you had the time to stop, unpack your gun, load the mag, load the gun, then fire the court would say you also had the time and ability to flea or extract yourself from danger. I don’t know NY laws on standing your ground, and I’m not a lawyer, but given the state’s liberal leaning I can’t imagine a situation where they’d side with you that you had no other choice than to stop everything, unpack, load and fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do I have to transport my firearms like sticks and rocks and my ammo in a box like marbles? How do I defend myself?

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Why do I have to transport my firearms like sticks and rocks and my ammo in a box like marbles? How do I defend myself?

Because the current laws say you have to? Or, were your questions rhetorical? I don’t know the rules of NY, so I don’t know the exact restrictions on transporting guns there. But I do know they don’t allow CCW easily. So that seems to imply you can’t “transport” a weapon that is ready to quickly and easily use in self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The held cases not moving is the bigger tracking metric, IMO. Seeing the case(s) distributed for conference is the first warning order that something is afoot, per normal procedures. I'm not sure if they can spontaneously discuss a case at conference without that courtesy.

Alito writing about not moot and Thomas writing about the law violating the 2A would be my expected dissents (or combined dissent) from a finding of moot or DAIG, which would take some time.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I just wonder about the case being "DIG"ed. It wasn't improvidently granted; the case would have been clear cut if NYC hadn't decided after the fact to moot the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom