• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    The HoCo PD posted a video on Nextdoor.com looking for assistance identifying a porch pirate. It is a young kid, he walks up grabs a box and takes off. There are the usual responses of people trying to help then there's this guy.

"This kid looks ashamed and frustrated. Is that possible the high schools could provide a link for residents to register their needs for lawn cutting and distribute them to the male kids who get free lunch? And provide like $25-50/week to the young female high school students who get free lunch. And a link for people to donate for them then provide car stickers for those who donate over $200. The kids at this age do have cash needs. We surely can do something to help them."

I was hoping this was sarcasm but after people congratulating him on his great idea he follows up.

"Thanks for all those who care our communities and students. I have transferred this post and some ideas to the board of Howard County Education and one of the director members. Hope they can find a way to help those kids! Their email is boe@hcpss.org."

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Great idea, lets encourage more thieves to come to HoCo where we "care about them and help them". I wish that I could live in this guy's naive fantasy land where you give someone a handout and they suddenly become a good person!

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Reminds me of the bicyclist in Baltimore that got beat and had his ride stolen. All he could talk about afterwards was the need for extra things for kids to do and how if the kid needed a bicycle he would have given him one.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Supprised he didn’t bring this up. “Student Activists”? What’s next free deodorant, tooth paste? They already get free birth control pills and condoms in school. And WTF is Menstrual Equality? All this crap should fall under PARENTING. Now they want a “sponsor a hood” program? Tax deductible?

Attachments

• 524AFBD5-0C36-4FAF-9D77-E4273D414B96.jpg
      524AFBD5-0C36-4FAF-9D77-E4273D414B96.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 547

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    My Dad (HoCo resident) is spending a huge chunk of his retirement on some random "underprivileged" family. He's furnished their condo, pays for (and transports) their kids to receive treatment at Kennedy Krieger for some sort of horseshit mental ailment that prevents them from doing well in school, and who knows what else? Liberalism is truly a mental disease.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My favorite thing to sit back and watch, then point out, is the inherent racism in the white-guilt liberals of hoco. Its not uncommon for someone to say, "black students should get more funding and resources than white students, otherwise how can we expect them to perform similarly?" White man's burden is super alive in the hoco suburbs, complete with the underlying assumption that minorities and the poor aren't capable of helping themselves.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My Dad (HoCo resident) is spending a huge chunk of his retirement on some random "underprivileged" family. He's furnished their condo, pays for (and transports) their kids to receive treatment at Kennedy Krieger for some sort of horseshit mental ailment that prevents them from doing well in school, and who knows what else? Liberalism is truly a mental disease.

Does he get to claim them as “dependents” on his taxes?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    And WTF is Menstrual Equality?

It's the idea that if you take two little girls from two different houses, one who has parents who care and can afford feminine products, and one who doesn't. The one who doesn't is going to face all kinds of barriers that the other doesn't, like not being able to come to school during her period, etc, none of which are her fault.

All this crap should fall under PARENTING.

So we punish little girls who are poor or have parents that don't give a crap?

I'm all about personal responsibility, but I think it's important to remember that not everyone is blessed with parents who give a damn.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did the porch pirate pull up his pants just before grabbing the box?
    How about when the kids gets caught, he's picking up trash along the side of the road for 4 weeks?

I see those ridiculous posts on nextdoor and just can't stand it when the bleeding heart liberals chime in.
    What they don't realize is that for every "you go girl" liberal response, there are 10 "your a nut job" thoughts from those who don't post cause mama taught them "if you don't have anything nice to say......"

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    It's the idea that if you take two little girls from two different houses, one who has parents who care and can afford feminine products, and one who doesn't. The one who doesn't is going to face all kinds of barriers that the other doesn't, like not being able to come to school during her period, etc, none of which are her fault.

I'm all about personal responsibility, but I think it's important to remember that not everyone is blessed with parents who give a damn.

Well, then let’s make sure that they all get to take a shower while in school, don’t forget the barber/hairdresser. Might as well bring their dirty laundry and have a home economics class on doing laundry. At some point the parents need to parent!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    At some point the parents need to parent!

In theory, I agree with you - a child should be the responsibility of the parent, not the State.

However, in practice, where do you draw the line with helping out a kid that wouldn't otherwise have a chance in life so that they'll lift themselves up out of the kind of poverty and squalor that they'd otherwise be condemned to by dint of birth to shitty parents?

I watch the kids in my son's school, or the ones I worked with in Scouts, and it's informative. By and large, the ones with decent parents who are having their needs met are decent kids. The ones with crappy parents who don't meet their child's basic needs are squirrely. One of my son's classmates is hyperactive and crazy all the time, but this little girl is typically given a two liter of Pepsi and a (full size) bag of Doritos for lunch. Of course she acts like a maniac when that's her diet. Honestly, I'd rather that the county spend a dollar a day feeding her decent food so she'll be a little more calm and act out a little less in class so that my son and the other kids have a better chance to learn because Ms. Dorito isn't jumping out of her chair every five minutes. Yes, we're spending money to correct the poor choices of her parents, but there's a net benefit there.

Likewise with feminine products. Take a little girl who either doesn't have a mom, or doesn't have one who cares or whatever. If she has to start missing a few days of school every month, she's going to be one of the ones who ends up pregnant and on public assistance for the rest of her life. Again, I'm fine with spending a few bucks here and there to at least give her a better shot at avoiding that future. It's not a guarantee, but there's a chance at the net benefit to society there, too.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    When I was in high school and needed money I went out and got a job.....

Washing dishes, busing tables, cutting grass.

I did the same but something to remember, so many of those jobs are now being taken by adult folks (many illegal I'm sure) from south of the border. "Jobs for high schoolers - another reason to build the Wall" - Mention that to a HOCO/MOCO liberal and see what happens!

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    They are all about helping others, they should pay 15% more in taxes. Put their money with their mouth is.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    They are all about helping others, they should pay 15% more in taxes. Put their money with their mouth is.

My Father would gladly pay 15% in taxes. Hell, he’d probably pay a 50% wealth tax because it makes him feel like he’s doing something good.

Like I said, it’s a mental disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

Aren't we already in a position as a nation that we've allowed the government to raise generations of perpetually dependent citizens? At what point do we decide that government as parent is a self-defeating model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom