Smallest Maryland (non resident) legal trunk AR based gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is a fun topic. Devil Dog is not wrong when he makes the distinction that he does.

A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may: (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon; or

BUT! Our overlords at the MDGA do clarify this (and pretty much only this):

“Copycat weapon” does not include an assault long gun or an assault pistol.

If you have an assault long gun ("copy"), it cannot become a copycat weapon by definition. This is how the MSP interpret things, too, to my knowledge.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This is a fun topic. Devil Dog is not wrong when he makes the distinction that he does.

BUT! Our overlords at the MDGA do clarify this (and pretty much only this):

If you have an assault long gun ("copy"), it cannot become a copycat weapon by definition. This is how the MSP interpret things, too, to my knowledge.

Thanks for the clarification erwos. That was how I was reading it, but i'm just a big knuckle dragger and not so good at reading law. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With a handgun I can only go to and from my destination. No stopping anywhere unrelated to the transportation of the handgun. Plus even if within the law. Anything related to a handgun and traffic stop will most likely get me a cavity search. Just because. MD. No thanks.

No, the big thing is you can only transport between residence(s), range, and gun shop. So unless you are going to one of these, you are not within the MD transport law.

And I don't think FOPA covers VA through MD back to VA.

And it is not true that you cannot stop anywhere. You can. But if you stop for lunch in Frederick, when traveling from Glen Burnie to Annapolis, you might have some explaining to do.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    According to the AG opinion, MD law covers trips that BOTH start and end in MD. Extrapolating that, an origin or destination not in MD means FOPA applies.

ruling attached.

Attachments

• AG opinin on travel 4-203.doc
      24.5 KB · Views: 135

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No, the big thing is you can only transport between residence(s), range, and gun shop. So unless you are going to one of these, you are not within the MD transport law.

And I don't think FOPA covers VA through MD back to VA.

And it is not true that you cannot stop anywhere. You can. But if you stop for lunch in Frederick, when traveling from Glen Burnie to Annapolis, you might have some explaining to do.

Doesn't it also allow bringing you gun to work as well(unless otherwise forbidden)?

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I spotted a Handi-rifle today at my lgs and it had 3 barrels, .223 .243 and omg 45/70! All for $650. I passed. Clark Bros. In Virginia

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    According to the AG opinion, MD law covers trips that BOTH start and end in MD. Extrapolating that, an origin or destination not in MD means FOPA applies.

ruling attached.

Not necessarily.

With our current AG, they could prosecute saying they never ruled on the case of starting and ending in the same state, but passing through MD.

If it were not so true, it would be funny.

My question is, how is FOPA worded. IIRC, the intent was to protect people going from one state to a different state, traveling through states in between.

And anyway, with that ruling, FOPA states the transport has to be legally transported in the state of departure and arrival. So if you start and end in MD, you have to meet MD law to meet FOPA.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Why not just keep a regular rifle partially disassembled?

That seems like the easiest solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom