• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    First one might be tricky. When open carry you can drink alcohol however when CCW you cannot.

I've found myself at a few difference places that hand out drink samples. For example wegmans, sampling out little 1oz sips of x beer.

I'm assuming under the law that is a no no, however it would take a real prick of an officer to write it up.

I'm always hesitant to try new beers because of always CCW. Sometimes I feel like I should tuck my shirt behind my gun allowing it to easily be seen and then take the sample lol.

The next question I've yet to have anyone answer this with a for sure answer. A police officer, and even a upper level state worker have only said that you most likely cannot. But they admitted to not knowing 100% for sure.

Privately owned day care centers like kinder care, minnieland and so on... do those count as school grounds where "no guns" laws apply? I always unholster, store the gun inside the car, then Proceed to drop my son off.

As always it's better safe than sorry but it would be nice to know for sure that it is or isn't ok to carry a gun into a private school.

Also does a public school parking lot work the same as a USPS parking lot meaning no guns allowed, even in the parking lot? If so what do people do when dropping kids off short of going back home?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I can't help you with the first one, since I can't really drink alcohol. I don't see a problem with the examples you give, but unless you get pulled over and breathalized, I'm not sure what they'll do about it. Concealed means concealed.

The second one, as far as I know, applies only to state run schools. Some private schools don't allow guns, some don't have a policy. To ask permission is to seek denial.

As for public schools, that's what school buses are for.

RosadoSM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 27, 2005
    King George, VA
    Also does a public school parking lot work the same as a USPS parking lot meaning no guns allowed, even in the parking lot? If so what do people do when dropping kids off short of going back home?

Nope... as long as you stay in the vehicle.

Attachments

• CCW.PNG
      CCW.PNG
      13.3 KB · Views: 171

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The "Virginie tuck" was invented for a reason. Use it.

VA statute and the Federal GFSZA are slightly different. Just be aware. Federal laws prohibits loaded carry, even with a permit.

Note that GFSZA says you must have a permit from the state where the school is located to be exempt. A reciprocal permit is not sufficient according to BATFE.

The good thing is local cops enforce local laws, not Federal laws in most cases.

Attachments

• GFSZA.pdf
      933.2 KB · Views: 122
    • GFSA ATF letter.pdf
      843.7 KB · Views: 119

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the Federal definition of a school zone. VA law may be different.

Attachments

• us code.JPG
      us code.JPG
      8.1 KB · Views: 154
    • school zone.jpg
      school zone.jpg
      9.9 KB · Views: 157

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Having a state issued CCW permit makes it ok to be in the car with the gun in a school zone. Looks like unless the gun is locked up in the car, it cannot be away from the CCW holder.

I wonder if the gun stored in a holster inside the glove box or center console which is is located inside a lock car would be viewed as a locked container. Hmmmm

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As you accept the 1oz sample, tuck shirt tail, brush back jacket, whatever. Savor your sample, and 10-30 sec later, drop concealment back in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom