Can you own/store a motorcycle/car in VA without paying taxes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    I'm debating on what to do with my supersport bike. I highly doubt I'll ride it around here (Dulles area) but it's a mint condition bike that I've had since brand new. I wouldn't mind storing it until we move again but need to weigh my options of selling it.

Is taking it off the road and storing it an option so I wont have to pay taxes on it?
    Or does it not matter, as long as the bike is in my name and my address is in VA will VA expect money for it?

Google hasn't pointed me in the right direction so figured I'd ask here.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    pretty sure you have to sell it or relocate it to stop paying personal property taxes on it, but as an older motorcycle, the county depreciates those pretty quickly (just based on age, not mileage) so taxes should be pretty low. just go west, plenty of nice superbike rides, down skyline drive, track days at summit point, etc.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    You pay taxes on a vehicle you own in Virginia? Just trying to educate myself. Never heard of such a thing.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    That sucks. :)
    It encourages driving old high milage vehicles. Other taxes/fees are less in Va. Sales tax is 7% but. Each county has a different tax rate.
    When I was working construction in VA a few years ago, the company moved the equipment back to his home county for cheaper tax.
    Tax is based on where property/vehicles are on Jan 1.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Most counties got rid of the car tax. Except Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, and Loudoun, and the City of Alexandria. Governor Gilmore got the "get rid of the car tax" bill passed. Then Governor (now Senator) Warner stopped the "get rid of the car tax" and stated local counties could continue to collect the car tax versus getting the money from Richmond.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    md has the county piggyback income taxes, and va has pers prop tax. different ways different states hit your bank account. when i moved from pg county to fairfax county a few decades ago it was somewhat mox nix but a lot could have changed since then.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    You pay taxes on a vehicle you own in Virginia? Just trying to educate myself. Never heard of such a thing.

Actually very common down south. On cars, boats, ATVs etc. Property taxes are usually lower so it's another way to grab money.

Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    pretty sure you have to sell it or relocate it to stop paying personal property taxes on it, but as an older motorcycle, the county depreciates those pretty quickly (just based on age, not mileage) so taxes should be pretty low. just go west, plenty of nice superbike rides, down skyline drive, track days at summit point, etc.

This is the best answer...I had done this with a car, many years back. It was a beater and saw no real use. The tax was knocked down to near nothing. I would imagine you could do the same with your bike.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Maryland just adds it to your license fees at renewal. Part of the fee is based on the value of the vehicle. Its a fee, not a tax!

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    If it's titled in Virginia, you pay personal property tax to the locality its garaged.

It doesn't need to be titled in Va.... Just kept in Va. I have employees who have company vehicles that are titled in Md and Va still wants the tax paid.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    just go west, plenty of nice superbike rides, down skyline drive, track days at summit point, etc.

Wow forgot about this thread.

My issue is time, in Maryland I could at least get a 30-60 minute ride in here and there because as soon as I pulled out of the driveway I was on a twisty road, or ride to work which was all backroads.

Now I need to ride 45+ just to see a backroad that doesn't have 50 cars on it. So a quick ride on my SS bike with good roads will end up being a half day.

I titled and tagged the bikes here, I'm going to see how bad the tax is, the bike I don't mind riding around this area is my sport touring bike which is worth nothing. my SS bike which I don't really care to ride around here is still worth a good bit KBB wise, maybe 6-7K

I'll see what it looks like when the tax bill comes =(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sstrum

Latest threads

Top Bottom