• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    You're probably ok if your shirt is tucked in and you're not wearing a jacket. Personally, MD's fixed blade laws are so ridiculous I wouldn't do it. All it takes is one cop having a bad day.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I did not know you cannot carry a fixed blade in MD. I just bought a cold steel spike off of ebay. have been wearing around my neck when i go to work, and off of work. Not really bigger than my folding blade, when its open. Thanks for the info.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I know fixed blade is not listed in the article. Is there case law where they were found to be a Bowie knife or dirk knife?

I believe MD law interprets all fixed blades as dirk knives. I can't remember the source but that's what I found when I researched it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Dirk, etc is automatically a dangerous weapon, Other fixed blades are not automatically so ,but can not be concealed. Just like can't conceal ax, baseball bat, monkey wrench, hammer ( here's looking at you outlaw bike clubs) , etc.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No concealed fixed blades in MD.

I am not a lawyer.

Right. Basically.

Would this include a fixed blade knife in a sheath on your belt (worn outside your pants) concealed by a coat when hunting?

No.

Legal.

I'm not a lawyer, but understand fixed blades are generally illegal if carried concealed - lots of exceptions. If you have a CCW permit, exempt. If you have a legitimate reason to be carrying a fixed blade (hunting, camping, fishing, hiking, gardening, etc), no problem. There's discretion for police, reasonable. Dirks (double edged stabbing knives) are specifically considered weapons, so are throwing stars and "Bowie knives" (hah! I think someone who wrote the bill watched too many Billy Jack movies).

Get a carry permit and carry any knife you want.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Legal for open carry, illegal for concealed.

"Concealed" was interpreted in Shipley v State:
    By a recognized test a weapon is concealed if it is so situated as not to be discernible by ordinary observation by those near enough to see it if it were not concealed who would come into contact with the possessor in the usual associations of life, but absolute invisibility is not required; since ordinary observation does not extend to a search unusually careful, thorough or detailed, made because of suspicion that contraband which is not visible by ordinary observation may in actuality be present.
    In other words, if you're walking down the street minding your own business, and I walk up and ask for directions, can I see that you have a knife on your belt? Can I tell that it's a knife and not a flashlight or a cell phone? If yes, it's legal. If no, it's not.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Legal for open carry, illegal for concealed.

"Concealed" was interpreted in Shipley v State:

In other words, if you're walking down the street minding your own business, and I walk up and ask for directions, can I see that you have a knife on your belt? Can I tell that it's a knife and not a flashlight or a cell phone? If yes, it's legal. If no, it's not.

Thanks.

That's still a bit fuzzy, but if an officer considers it 'concealed' and then a court, then I guess its really settled.

If a law-abiding citizen, wants to carry a fixed blade knife, or for that matter even a sword on their person; regardless of if its concealed or not, it should be legal. Otherwise a perp might give them the once over (look them over), and think, that persons not armed, so I can 'strong-arm' rob them.

Maybe this is another piece of legislation that should be worked through?

Obviously when a person uses a weapon in an actual crime, or brandishes a weapon in a threatening manner; that's a different issue. But if my grandma wants to carry a concealed chefs knife while she walks the family dog at night, she shouldn't be subject to search, and carrying the (large fixed blade) knife shouldn't be an issue.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks.

That's still a bit fuzzy, but if an officer considers it 'concealed' and then a court, then I guess its really settled.

Well...not necessarily. Polk v State, 2007 specifically overturned a conviction for a concealed knife on the grounds that if the cop can see it without doing search or pat-down, it's not concealed. The judge literally said "That simply will not cut it" when the officer tried to justify his arrest. Should be noted that Polk was legitimately behaving in a suspicious manner and had illegal altered his temp tags, and would likely have been ignored otherwise.

If a law-abiding citizen, wants to carry a fixed blade knife, or for that matter even a sword on their person; regardless of if its concealed or not, it should be legal. Otherwise a perp might give them the once over (look them over), and think, that persons not armed, so I can 'strong-arm' rob them.

Maybe this is another piece of legislation that should be worked through?

Obviously when a person uses a weapon in an actual crime, or brandishes a weapon in a threatening manner; that's a different issue. But if my grandma wants to carry a concealed chefs knife while she walks the family dog at night, she shouldn't be subject to search, and carrying the (large fixed blade) knife shouldn't be an issue.

I'm personally of the view that 4-101 should be amended so that any carry is only a crime if it is "in the furtherance of a crime of violence as defined in Code, Criminal Law Article, § 14-101." In other words, it would be perfectly legal to EDC any knife, and only illegal if you are harming someone unlawfully.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Well...not necessarily. Polk v State, 2007 specifically overturned a conviction for a concealed knife on the grounds that if the cop can see it without doing search or pat-down, it's not concealed. The judge literally said "That simply will not cut it" when the officer tried to justify his arrest. Should be noted that Polk was legitimately behaving in a suspicious manner and had illegal altered his temp tags, and would likely have been ignored otherwise.

I'm personally of the view that 4-101 should be amended so that any carry is only a crime if it is "in the furtherance of a crime of violence as defined in Code, Criminal Law Article, § 14-101." In other words, it would be perfectly legal to EDC any knife, and only illegal if you are harming someone unlawfully.

Excellent response. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom